Gasoline Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working on other things on my 60 but my wife says this comes next. There is a gasoline smell on me every time I drive. Maybe faulty fumes are from old fuel lines? Not really sure. Any ideas? Talk to me gurus.

it could be anything, but I am kinda leaning towards running too rich, unless you have noticed some leaks

My truck had a gasoline smell. The previous owner 'attributed it to the smell of an older vehicle.' In reality, my fuel pump was leaking. The only other time I that faintly smell fuel is if it is running rich or if I flood the carb.

If I fill my tank up and park it on a hot day with the passenger side lower than the drivers side the gas would expand and leak out of the fill tube, between the gasket and into the rear quarter (inside the vehicle) creating a fuel odor inside. Just a thought.

mine did this and it was because the egr vsv was broken, in combination with the vacuum lines being backwards on all the systems, which caused the high altitude compensator to not advance the timing to compensate for the elevation and therefore not allow all of the gasoline to thoroughly burn before entering the exhaust. Or it could be a fuel leak. Occum's razor. Find the most obvious solution and work from there.

make sure your using oem gas cap. when i first bought mine years ago the owner had an after market gas gap. smelled like gas until i replaced it with an oem cap.

What year truck?

Had this issue on my old 60. Gas cap was not sealing tight in the filler neck due to the inner lip being squashed flat from years of gas station fillers being jammed in too hard. Fumes would accumulate in the rear 1/4 panel and stink up the whole truck.

I adjusted the carb. I think it was a little rich. I also ordered an OEM gascap as I had a replacement. Hopefully this will help. It'll take a week to see. Thanks for all the help.

does it have a lot of pressure every time you remove the cap, if so id swap the hoses at the charcoal canister, also the vents on the back will actually allow some of the exhuast fumes back in unless you turn the lever to fresh air instead of recirc if that makes sense, especially if your leaking gas around the cap

Right now I'm in the middle of the same thing, trying to figure out why I smell like gas after sitting in my 60. I did confirm this weekend that my Charcoal Cannister is probably shot or at least not working right, so I think it is the culprit. Followed the Toyota test procedures found here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/100894-charcoal-canister-test-procedure.html

After following the diagram procedures, when applying air to the Purge Pipe, no air comes from any other port. No amount of pressure would make it budge. I sprayed some carb cleaner and applied more air, but nothing. Based on that I determined it may be shot.

This is my question. In this thread pffairchild referenced switching or reversing the top 2 hoses (purge and tank pipes) and mentioned the problem (assuming gas smell) goes away. I've seen the same recommendation in some other posts. Has anyone done this? Is is just a bypass? Does it have an impact on anything else? Is this more of a temporary fix than a long term fix? I ask because I figure the engineers at Toyota 25+ years ago are smarter than me and there must be a reason for the order. Hope someone can shed some light. Thanks.

You get the vapor pressure buildup in the tank because of the check-valve in the canister. If you switch the two hoses on top of the canister you'll bypass the valve (still keeping the evap system fully functional) and you'll avoid the gas smell in the cabin, unless there's other issues like broken/open hoses. Open seam in the tank, etc.
can.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom