Gas tank cover, seat brackets/mounts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm working on my basket case, and sorting through all the parts I got from the PO, and there is no gas tank cover or seat brackets of any kind. This is a 72, and the toolbox on the drivers side has also been cut out. I have some pro-car seats that he gave me with it, that have their own sliders, and I could fabricate some brackets for the drivers side, but how did the stock seats mount to the gas tank cover? Did they all have a gas tank cover? Do I NEED a gas tank cover? Do I just fabricate both sides? I saw a tank cover and a passenger side seat bracket on Ebay, are they all the same?

There will be no cover over your 18 gallon fuel tank.....

09/73 they switched to a 16 gallon tank, and then installed a decorative cover.

There was a tube frame system that the passenger seat mounted to....nothing special or elaborate...you can fabricate your own mounts for your seat. There is a section in the FAQ on how many people have mounted custom seats in there trucks.

None of the seats EVER mounted to the fuel tank cover.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks alot Steve. That helps! I know I am a PIA, but this is my first Cruiser and I'm trying to get it done for an April 1st run in Moab!
I really appreciate the help!
Tom

Let me try to help you out a bit. The simplist way is to purchase a set of Toyota seat brackets. I was able to make mine work with Volvo seats. Perhaps the 2nd simplist way is to make 2 U shaped pieces of sq tubing. Use the passenger side as a reference. The U shaped piece should straddle the tank from front to rear. It should be placed as close to the pass door as possible. Try to hug the front of the tank. The rear leg of the U will be a bit shorter, so it can sit on the rear raised bed. Flats should be welded to the U so the U can be bolted to the floor. The second U can be copied from the first. If a bender isn't available , just cut and weld 90s. After bolting the Us to the floor, cut 2 or 3 cross pieces to go between the U pieces. Use your seats as a reference on how far to space cross pieces for seat mounting. Weld into place. Remember to remove brackets before welding (fuel tank :whoops: ). This method will put both seats the same height.

One last stupid question (at least on this thread). What holds the gas tank in? Is there supposed to be straps or bolts?
Thanks
Tom

Hi All:

Depends upon the year of the 40/45 Series Land Cruiser.

Some years used straps; others just the fuel tank cover to hold it in place.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"thsorens" asked:

One last stupid question (at least on this thread). What holds the gas tank in? Is there supposed to be straps or bolts?
Thanks
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom