Gas tank and line help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
Making slow progress on getting some mud on the tires of my 78 with much help from you all.
After getting the carb rebuilt by 65swb45 a bit of tuning and many other parts the old rust bucket sounded good enough to take her for a test ride. All seemed ok for the most part until it wasn’t anymore. Fuel delivery to the carb just stopped so I towed her home and dove in.
Replaced the fuel pump with new OEM from Racer65 and rubber fuel lines from a tangled mess of lines with some sort of valve/switch between the seats (ditched the valve) up to the carb and only got weak/slow fuel delivery to the carb.
So I thought let’s look at the tank... I haven’t tore into that yet.
Exposed the tank and found a poly tank, which is good I’m thinking but I can’t find any info on it. See picture
Also found a broken hose nipple at the vapor separator.
Wondering if someone can tell me the easiest, best and most reliable way to get fuel to the carb. I feel there’s a lot more going on here than necessary. Looking around the site I’ve seen talk of ditching the vapor separator.
Between the odd tank and mess of lines from PO I’m not sure where to go here.
A little history... 1978 Fj40 original 2F, desmogged. Still have charcoal canister and a broken vapor separator.
Any help is very appreciated!
1582C108-3A9D-47BF-B645-A48F1325EBC0.jpeg

I assume you just want to get 'er running right now. If you pull the gas gauge sending unit you can get a look in the tank to see if there's any (or how much) crap in there. If you have a bore scope you can get a better look. If it was mine, I would drain the tank, pull it out, blow out all the fittings, give it a very good flush, check it again, and start over. I would disconnect all the fuel lines in the vehicle and blow those out, and hook everything up again.
Since your rig is 'desmogged' you really don't need all the vent lines on the tank, the vapor separator or the charcoal canister, just run a vented gas cap for now. You will likely end up occasionally smelling gas, but at least you can eliminate some of the problems.

To make it run, you only need the fill tube, the overflow, a supply line and a fuel return (if your rig requires one). You need to make sure your fuel supply is coming from the correct fitting. Only one of the two on the tank should reach to the bottom of the tank, which would be the supply side.
Then you can get on the road while you figure out if you want to mess with hooking everything back up to an OEM setup.
A vented gas cap may solve your problem.

Thank you both! The advice and picture are great
Get ‘er runnin is the ultimate goal but I hate doing something twice. Just looking for the best simplest way to go about it. The rig is just a tree bangin mud skipper. Never going to be a show winner or candidate for restoration. Want it to be fool proof with the least amount stuff to go wrong in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom