Gas smell FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need advice on how to fix gas smell coming from my 1978 FJ40. I don’t see any leaks but Ivhave to leave my garage door open because the smell of gas is so bad. Any idea what the issue may be? It doesn’t have a charcoal canister, would this make a difference? Appreciate any advice on where to begin. Thanks.

Need advice on how to fix gas smell coming from my 1978 FJ40. I don’t see any leaks but Ivhave to leave my garage door open because the smell of gas is so bad. Any idea what the issue may be? It doesn’t have a charcoal canister, would this make a difference? Appreciate any advice on where to begin. Thanks.

if you don;t have this still hooked up ?

YOU NEED ONE hooked up , can absolutely cause major gas smell if removed by someone ?

@SirRigel

Another Mudder recently reported a leaking fuel sending unit gasket leak.

I don't know if the 78 tank is in the cab or under the floor.
Still in the cab. 1/79 moved underneath the cab.

Question for the OP. Do have a have a smell inside while driving? Just a smell inside the garage could be a leak outside the cab

Thanks everyone so many good suggestions. I have my work cut out for me this weekend. I am trying to add a pic. There is this line that was zip tied under he gas tank.

if you don;t have this still hooked up ?

YOU NEED ONE hooked up , can absolutely cause major gas smell if removed by someone ?

Thanks!!

My smell came from the fuel line between the seats.

20210408_195645.jpg

I also have NOS Charcoal Canisters factory Toyota Genuine parts

Make sure your fuel tank is not perforated on the bottom--I had same issue--pulled the tank and it looked like a pin cushion when I scraped off the rust---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom