Gas Gauge Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 land cruiser and the gas gauge reads sometimes. When I fill up it reads full for awhile then after driving it goes to 0 or to half. If the level if anywhere above half it'll indicate randomly, but once its below half it reads 0. Low fuel light still works as it should. Any insight to what needs replaced?

The sending unit in the tank sometimes comes apart due to a rivet failing. I fixed mine by replacing the rivet with a bolt or something- been too long for me to remember the details. You'll have to pull it to see what the issue is, though. Just saying it might be fixable.

^ this, sending unit issue, rivet or otherwise. The rheostat is probably corroded and not sliding smoothly. May be fixable, but replacement will be best.

83320-69055 - Gage Assy, Fuel Sender​

Your first payment, Chad.

The sending unit in the tank sometimes comes apart due to a rivet failing. I fixed mine by replacing the rivet with a bolt or something- been too long for me to remember the details. You'll have to pull it to see what the issue is, though. Just saying it might be fixable.
Thank you ! Would that require dropping the gas tank?

^ this, sending unit issue, rivet or otherwise. The rheostat is probably corroded and not sliding smoothly. May be fixable, but replacement will be best.

83320-69055 - Gage Assy, Fuel Sender​

Your first payment, Chad.
Thank you! Part number is super helpful ! Ill see how it looks then probably order a new one anyways.

Thank you ! Would that require dropping the gas tank?
Nope!

One of the beauties of these beauties is that you can pull the rear seats, lift up the carpet, and there is a cover panel in the flor you can remove to access the hoses and screws for the fuel pump.

Make sure to get new copper washers for the hoses (or it's probably time to consider new hoses since it's a 91) and maybe a new rubber seal for the fuel pump.

Maybe time for a fuel pump and a sending unit. Definitely time for a new fuel pump screen in the tank.

Welcome to WIIT. (While I'm In There....)

McGeorge Toyota
Olathe Toyota
www.partsouq.com (middle east) Great resource for part numbers to cross check to domestic. I buy a lot from these guys as well as the two above.

@paymentchad : Here's a link to a previous thread with some photos to get you oriented: (not sure if everything is exactly the same in your 91 model, but it should be very close).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom