Garmin Inreach, communicate your plan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I us InReach for meany years

I use minimal plan 14$

I always keep my info page for the search and rescue Texas GEO center with all the phone numbers of local police army and search and rescue team and insurance company

this is how i do it

I have some one as coordinator, i notify him that i am going off grid and were he must have phone + cell phon + internet to contact the world

at home i will send Test Email ( 5 free per mount) and reactive the automatic replay with the text i typed

I will send him SMS ok i started my overlanding he must replay the SMS with link In my SMS

from time to time i will sent OK msg and the coordinator can go on my public page to see where am I

in the evening at night camp i will send him SMS

when I am out i will call him and say thanks

going out of Israel i will change the plan to unlimited and i use this for SMS all the time

Recently since I have been doin these Alaska tripsin my 18 wheeler, I have to run through Canada and parts of Alaska where there is no service. So is the Garmin InReach pretty much the best option for this type of communication? Having the two way capability seems nice especially in the case of a breakdown since I can communicate and get parts brought out and such. Also being able to see my location and check in on me would be comforting for the wife and close friends.

Recently since I have been doin these Alaska tripsin my 18 wheeler, I have to run through Canada and parts of Alaska where there is no service. So is the Garmin InReach pretty much the best option for this type of communication?

Yes, or a sat phone.

SPOTX has a new version too that can send text. But I prefer the InReach Explorer+ with the bluetooth capability. Has worked anywhere without issues. Just download the proper maps and sync it before you go out of range and you are never lost.

Just noticed that Spot finally has contract-free Flex plans like the Inreach. This finally makes them competitive IMO

Just noticed that Spot finally has contract-free Flex plans like the Inreach. This finally makes them competitive IMO
I'm about as loyal to Garmin as one can get.

Spot X or Garmin, experience matters. Before deciding to buy X or Y, read users reviews and that can sway you for extra cost of Garmin. Specifically when you read how many times SpotX has failed for users in the field.

On last year's Overland Expo East, SPOT was showcasing their new device and plans. And just so happened I was doing a class on personal locator beacons and satellite devices and brought a handful of them , including some Spots (gen 1 to 3) and others I have, as I am trying to educate and show all available options. Some of the class attendees had just bought a SPOTX on site and where not happy with my statements. But that's the reality, Garmin is still the most reliable in both device and satellite network. When comparing the devices side by side like we did in the class, you can tell Garmin is a better build. Then the ability to bluetooth to a phone or tablet is excellent. I can hang my Garmin outside my tent in all weather, into clear open sky for great reception. And I can be sitting inside my tent warm and dry, texting my family, getting the weather, etc. The only thing I don't like on my Garmin is the compass, its never right.

Spot X or Garmin, experience matters. Before deciding to buy X or Y, read users reviews and that can sway you for extra cost of Garmin.
The only thing I'm going to add is customer service. I can't speak for SPOT now, but when I was in the market in 2004 SPOT was getting creamed on reviews. Delorme was better, but still had issues. Now that Garmin has taken over I've had zero problems and great service.

This is the only downside, but I always carry a compass or 2 in my truck or backpack. Analog....
And SPOT has improved their customer service, but still falls way short from Garmin.

CF2CA8A9-5BF1-4CD1-9970-FABCFE1E05DC.jpeg

I had a Spot Messenger with custom messages set before I left. I emailed a few peeps that had my back with regard to rescue. I let them know what the messages meant and gave them password to my account so they could follow my bread crumb track and I would send the OK in the am and Camped for nite at night (idea from George).

The two-way messaging is superior, and the fact inreach truncated the message to "help" is good to know. I guess a pre planned comm protocol is needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom