Garage Gear Talk: 2-post auto lifts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jdog35
Howdy all. Got a little down-time while I'm waiting on some body work to get done on the pig, and I have a 'new' project...my dad's garage.

Short summary: Dad is turning 60 in July and for his birthday, I'm getting him a dumpster and gutting his garage for him. It's got a great base to remodel from, and one of the first things I'm looking at helping him buy is a 2-post auto lift. It'd mainly be used for vehicle projects/maintenance and future rebuilds (if we choose to tackle one again). Very doubtful we'd have anything as heavy/large as a crewcab diesel going up there. More like the Pig and our 100 series vehicles.

Here are a couple options I was pondering:

Amazon.com: - Dannmar MaxJax Portable Auto Lift - 2-Post System, Mid-Rise, Model# 120050/Maxjax: Home Improvement

6,000lb Low Rise Car Lift

6,000lb Floor Mounted Car Lift

Now I have no inclination in any direction, other than just about any option is open. I like the idea of both these styles. However, a permanently mounted 2-post wouldn't be out of the question either.

Basically I'm hoping to hear from you guys who might have, or have used, any of these (or similar) lifts in your personal garage. My buddy owns a shop about 1.5 miles from the house with a couple nice 2-posts I've used a ton, but it's always nice having your own gear that you don't have to wait after-hours to use.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts and opinions as I start the shopping process:) This is a FUN project for once...not frustrating at all (yet;).

Hey, Jdog, what did you end up doing?

I recently installed a 10k asymmetrical two post lift in the new shop. The minimum concrete thickness for this lift is 4" according to the manufacture.

I have been able to lift every vehicle we own. The lift is a time saver and a great addition to any shop. If you could provide a simple layout to your

existing garage floor plan you might be able to get better feedback. The heaviest rig I lifted is a 2005 2500 duramax crew cab with shell. Many lifts

are not certified so caution must be taken when a the deal is overly sweet. Some folks don't care but I do.View attachment 1040916

what brand is that?

Bendpak XPR-10A-LP (low pro arms)
IMG_0749.JPG

@firestopper now that's a clean shop!
What about a walk through video?
Looks like you got it sorted!
Love the workbench island.

Hi TLC Norway,
Thanks, some times I feel like a janitor, but a clean shop is a productive shop for me at least. Its coming along and I have been open of business since Jan and get to work on my personal projects between jobs, so its taking longer than I like to put the "icing on the cake" so to speak.
A walk through video would be cool, but I'm too impatient for computer work of that level. You might say I'm computer stupid at 52.
Very pleased with the functionality of the work bench island but already ran out of room for tools hahaha! I still need shelves, die tables and various brackets before I can consider her done. Never really sure if I should post updated photos of the shop, so i try to respond to questions and add pictures.

Thanks again and take care

Wow thats clean.
@firestopper can I as what that floor coating is?, or is it polished concrete?
I just installed a 2 post hoist for my project. I'll post a pic later.

Locked79,

The floor is sealed with a solvent (xylene) base sealer, nasty s*** but pretty tough. Prep took a lot of buffing to clear off the fork lift tire marks from the build. Its been a little over a year since I sealed the floor (2 coats) and its seems to be holding up. I will dull in common work areas but still repels water, oils and such. I believe gasoline, brake fluid, lacquer thinners and harsh like chemicals will break down the sealer if not immediately wiped. The positive side is the solvent base sealer can be re-applied unlike the water base counterpart. You need a respirator to ally this stuff.
The welding area has also held up, but I find tiny little bb's imbed or burn into the sealer after heavy welding. At the end of the day it cleans up fine.
The machining area ends up with light oil that also cleans up well with simple green mixed in with the mop water. Sweeping is a breeze with a industrial style dust mop as the sealer allows it to glide nicely. The sealer comes in 5 gallon pail around $140-150 range. I would use it again if doing over.

Post up you lift when you have a moment.

Take it easy.

Thanks for the info @firestopper. Much appreciated. I want to seal my floor before it gets too contaminated. I'll have to do some research.

I'm just starting to build a workshop. This is my first piece of machinery. The hoist is a HAPP 40 4000kg (8800lbs). I think its chinese built to AUS specs. The build quality seems good and it works well, just a few little things like some holes not tapped, and oxy cut parts not cleaned up before paint.

Over all, I am happy with it. Have a good day.

20151016_123305.jpg

20151016_123244.jpg

Locked79,
The lift will make things so much easier. I do recommend adding a reservoir support. The plastic tank holds around 3.5-4 gallons of oil weighing around 30+ lbs. T his is only supported by 4 small cap screws leaving the bottom of the reservoir "floating". I had a vision after filling with hydraulic that it would get bumped by something/ somebody resulting in breakage and oil all over the floor. Can you imagine what 3-4 gallons of oil on the floor would look like, what a mess it would be.
I made this bracket with three 2" legs or sides, then threw in two gussets light gussets. If you decide to support your tank, you'll need to be cautious on the self tapping screw locations to avoid the carriage movement inside the columns. I sent an email to Bendpak shortly after I installed the lift and bracket, they really din't seem interested in improving their product,Oh well.

Adios Amigo
20141018_141646.jpg
20141018_172307.jpg
20141018_172330.jpg
20141018_140525.jpg

Has anyone ever bought a used lift and installed it in their shop, say from a mechanic that closed its doors?

Has anyone ever bought a used lift and installed it in their shop, say from a mechanic that closed its doors?
A friend purchase from a guy that removes old lifts and resales them. The lift he purchase was taken out of a shop after 15+ years of service with only cosmetic blemishes and 30 day warrantee. He has been happy with the lift with only minor issues. He saved $1K and has had his lift for 5 years now.
I would look the hoses and ables over really well prior to purchase. I would also recommend flushing the system prior to placing inn service.
The locking mechanism/system should also be looked at closely for proper operation.

Plenty of good deals out there for sure, just know what to look for. Many dealerships have a replacement program in place which is where this guy gets the used lifts for resale.

Lifts for the most part are straight forward simple lifting devices. The real threat comes from poor placement of vehicles and or removing large heavy components that change the Center of Gravity point without the use of support jacks.

Best of luck amigo

I bought a used one.

Assembled it, anchored it, replaced all of the hoses and lines before filling it with AW32.
It goes up 4' and stops.

Looking for a new electric motor now.

Ugh

Hook the Stihl motor to it!

Time to bump a 5 year old thread.
Any new advice on brands of lifts, installations, etc?
I am going to be building a new shop in the coming months and height is certainly important. I was thinking 12 feet with scissor trusses would do to get my 100 up all the way on a 2 post lift.

I went for a 4Tonne, assymetrical, top link, mounting it as we speak. Trying to figure out where to put it...
Would like to have it practically placed, enough room around it, and enough parking space beside it when a rig is in the air.
Oh, and heated floor is not easy to bolt a 2 post to...

It's 2,8m inside the posts. Cruiser is 1,8m I think. Seems to work well, when I have my mirror at the post, I can open the door comfortably.

So my only tip for others that want a 2 post, either put your heated floor down 6" in the concrete, or make a spacer plate under it to allow for different bolt pattern. Makes life that much easier! 👌

IMG_20200430_211736.jpg

IMG_0209.JPG

Ive got a 10,000 lb Forward lift, and love it
This is a 12'overhead also.
The lift can be purchased from NAPA, and there are installers everywhere.
The guys that put mine in were professional, efficient, and answered all my dumb questions before they left.
3 years ago the whole works, delivered and installed was ~$5k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom