Garage Gear Talk: 2-post auto lifts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all. Got a little down-time while I'm waiting on some body work to get done on the pig, and I have a 'new' project...my dad's garage.

Short summary: Dad is turning 60 in July and for his birthday, I'm getting him a dumpster and gutting his garage for him. It's got a great base to remodel from, and one of the first things I'm looking at helping him buy is a 2-post auto lift. It'd mainly be used for vehicle projects/maintenance and future rebuilds (if we choose to tackle one again). Very doubtful we'd have anything as heavy/large as a crewcab diesel going up there. More like the Pig and our 100 series vehicles.

Here are a couple options I was pondering:

Amazon.com: - Dannmar MaxJax Portable Auto Lift - 2-Post System, Mid-Rise, Model# 120050/Maxjax: Home Improvement

6,000lb Low Rise Car Lift

6,000lb Floor Mounted Car Lift

Now I have no inclination in any direction, other than just about any option is open. I like the idea of both these styles. However, a permanently mounted 2-post wouldn't be out of the question either.

Basically I'm hoping to hear from you guys who might have, or have used, any of these (or similar) lifts in your personal garage. My buddy owns a shop about 1.5 miles from the house with a couple nice 2-posts I've used a ton, but it's always nice having your own gear that you don't have to wait after-hours to use.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts and opinions as I start the shopping process:) This is a FUN project for once...not frustrating at all (yet;).

Those ones are not what you want. It will only lift about 4 feet, so you crawl around under the truck to work it. It's much better to get a clear floor two post lift that will lift to full height if you have the space in your garage to do that.

With any two post lift, you need to be very careful about balancing the vehicle in the lift properly, making sure that the arms are locked in, and being very safe under the lift.

~John

I didnt have the luxury of having a lift where the neighbors would complain
about seeing it all the time as in a 2 post.

I found a new Bend Pak sp7x full rise on craiglist for $2k delivered. ( Divorce sale)
It only 4" inches off the ground when collapsed and raises full height.70-72" IIRC
When collapsed I park my cruiser on it.
Best money I ever spent.
Going to recess it into the garage floor someday where I can be closer to the tools. ( 2nd pic)
I would never go mid rise...
bpak.jpg

HPIM0737.jpg

Interesting thoughts gentlemen. Thank you! I like that Bend Pack a lot. Mainly it's going to come down to my pop's budget and how much he wants to spend.

I hear you on the vehicle balance Radd. I have a friend's brother who does commercial insurance adjustment and he's got TONS of photos of cars having fallen off lifts:/ Major bummer.

Full height would be nice but I'm not 100% certain we can make it with the rafter clearance. Maybe I can include some infrastructure adjustment into our remodel;)

this bendpak affair looks a bit skimpy for a big cruiser. What's it rated at?

and to the OP, you mentioned 6000 lbs. That would be pretty close to a loaded 100 no? I would want a bigger safety margin to work under that thing.

this bendpak affair looks a bit skimpy for a big cruiser. What's it rated at?

The Bend Pak SP7X is rated at 7000 lbs. I try to stay under 6000 lbs.
I also have a back up locking system of 2 steel bars that I slide into the track that gives me a extra margin of safety ( 3 sets of locks that way) I lift a Nissan titan all the time.

If I could go with anything I would go a In ground cassette lift, self contained and can be used in existing floor.

Inground Lift, AV1020 Series Car Lift Features - Challenger Lifts but they are $6-8K
and are rated at 10,000 K.

For clearance/ cab room in my garage I am going to sandwich 5 scissor trusses against my conventional trusses then remove the truss webs after the scissor trussed are in and gain 32" more height on a 10' ceiling at center point for higher cab room.

I got my lift from Greg Smith Equipment. They have 9000 lifts for under $1600. I got my Atlas 9000 lift for around $1900. Check your ceiling hight, some lifts need a 12' ceiling.

Greg Smith 2 post lifts

If your near Delaware you can pick it up tax free, It will fit in a pickup.

You will become very popular with your mechanic friends. My son has friends cars on the lift at least twice a week.

Thanks Toyo. I'll take a look at those guys.

Unfortunately Delaware is a bit of a hike from Oregon:)

If a permanent 2 post lift is not out of the question then that is one of the better options... A bit more work to install but worth it.

If your looking at a two post make sure you check the thickness of the concrete .

I'm looking at that same lift now. What did you do to test your concrete?

Normal concrete is usually 3000 psi or more. My contractor told me mine was 5000 psi and I poured 6 ". Unless it's old concrete it should be fine but it can be tested.

Am looking for one as well can any one guide me.....

Well check craig's list some times you can find a garage thats changing out their lifts. Right after I bought my Atlas a local Heep dealer pulled all their lifts to upgrade and I could have got one for scrap price.

Recently I was searching for an second handed two post car lift, but couldn't seem to find a one that's not to old, finally found those guys and got a brand new 2 post lift for cheap price, altho they are located in UK..

6,000 lb probably won't cut it. We had a scissor lift that didn't like to lift my 100 all the way. Get as big of a lift as you can.

Post lifts are nice because you can lift a car and park under them still. Not as friendly as scissor lifts, for getting around the shop.

I recently installed a 10k asymmetrical two post lift in the new shop. The minimum concrete thickness for this lift is 4" according to the manufacture.

I have been able to lift every vehicle we own. The lift is a time saver and a great addition to any shop. If you could provide a simple layout to your

existing garage floor plan you might be able to get better feedback. The heaviest rig I lifted is a 2005 2500 duramax crew cab with shell. Many lifts

are not certified so caution must be taken when a the deal is overly sweet. Some folks don't care but I do.
20141112_094659.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom