Gadgets; anyone carrying a portable lithium jump starter box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up GBX55 on Amazon Warehouse discounted for torn box to less than GBX45 new. Unit itself was brand new. Now I have the GB150 sitting in the garage as a backup.

Again note the GB40 initially dropped one bar then regained it after sitting for a few minutes.

As for value, I've never paid more than 60% of retail for one of these, shopping black friday, cyber monday, or prime day.

I also took some pictures to compare sizes, and tossed in something everyone is familiar with for perspective. It's honestly amazing that the 40 does the job at all given the miniature size.

IMG_8773.JPG

With the 40 cables

IMG_8774.JPG

The Noco case for the 70 is nice but adds a lot of size.

IMG_8775.JPG

Would it be a smart practice to store these battery backups in a fire retardant battery charging bag like they recommend for RC car LiPo batteries? I don’t know how stable they are or what the failure rate is, but fire would be my only fear in leaving one stored in my car.

Again note the GB40 initially dropped one bar then regained it after sitting for a few minutes.

As for value, I've never paid more than 60% of retail for one of these, shopping black friday, cyber monday, or prime day.

I also took some pictures to compare sizes, and tossed in something everyone is familiar with for perspective. It's honestly amazing that the 40 does the job at all given the miniature size.

View attachment 3230252

With the 40 cables

View attachment 3230253

View attachment 3230254

The side by side pics are useful. The 40 is quite a bit smaller. Now that I see the larger NOCO units, I'm not sure I'd sacrifice the already limited storage space in the LX.

Would it be a smart practice to store these battery backups in a fire retardant battery charging bag like they recommend for RC car LiPo batteries? I don’t know how stable they are or what the failure rate is, but fire would be my only fear in leaving one stored in my car.
It looks like those bags are mostly under $20 -- so it might be worth keeping it in there even just for the tiny chance that it could mitigate catastrophic damage.

The smoke will destroy the interior even if the fire doesn’t get out of the bag.

Best case is to do what you can to use a product that won’t burn in the first place. Which IMO includes never charging it within the passenger compartment.

View attachment 3230252

With the 40 cables

View attachment 3230253

View attachment 3230254

Noco 70 with case fits perfectly in the sides of a drawer system. Agree it’s pretty large but it does work really well and gives you wiggle room to do multiple starts if needed.

I’ve been thinking about the GB40 not working for @04UZJ100 and the differences between what they did and my attempt.

Is it possible that disconnecting the negative terminal could allow the jump pack to work if the main battery is totally dead and the jump pack won’t get it done as it sits?

My thought is the dead battery may be robbing current from the jump pack such that there isn’t enough left over to turn the starter. With the battery disconnected there is no longer this large parasitic draw.

Then when it’s running, reconnect the battery and let it charge.

Any issues with running the truck for a short time with no battery connected? Totally safe for the charging and larger electrical system?

I could be mistaken but I believe that for the NOCO to work properly the battery being jumped has to have some voltage. There is a way to circumvent this though.

I’ve been thinking about the GB40 not working for @04UZJ100 and the differences between what they did and my attempt.

Is it possible that disconnecting the negative terminal could allow the jump pack to work if the main battery is totally dead and the jump pack won’t get it done as it sits?

My thought is the dead battery may be robbing current from the jump pack such that there isn’t enough left over to turn the starter. With the battery disconnected there is no longer this large parasitic draw.

Then when it’s running, reconnect the battery and let it charge.

Any issues with running the truck for a short time with no battery connected? Totally safe for the charging and larger electrical system?
This was my first thought as well when you guys were talking about this earlier.

If running the truck off the NOCO or whatever, is an issue, then taking it off and reconnecting the dead battery will be way worse. Not that I know or think it’s a problem..

This was my first thought as well when you guys were talking about this earlier.

If running the truck off the NOCO or whatever, is an issue, then taking it off and reconnecting the dead battery will be way worse. Not that I know or think it’s a problem..
We could always reconnect the battery before disconnecting the NOCO if having somewhere for the charge voltage to go is necessary to protect the charging system.

This may be a question for someone well versed in auto electrical systems.

Noco boxes on sale at WOOT (Amazon owned now).

GB40 / GB70 / GBX155 boosters and the 5a Smart Charger available as of right now. These usually go pretty fast.

+1 for a NOCO Genius - love the versatility to charge anything via the USB and enough juice to jump my daughters F250 PowerStroke multiple times.

I bought one of these almost 10 yrs ago. It has boosted my 12HT many times. One time it gave me over a dozen boosts on
a three day period cause I couldn't get to a shop to replace my batteries. It's certainly one of the best.
Being on MUD the guy on the phone gave me automatic 10% just for saying I was MUD member. But it's really good
quality. I'd upgrade but it still works and I don't go without it.

I have this exact same anti gravity booster and love it. It’s always worked for anything I’ve used it on from my Scag to the cruiser to my powerstroke.

Can't speak to the 200 specifically, but I've done that with plenty of other cars with no ill effects. (Done when swapping a charged battery in place of a dead one, starting the vehicle, then replacing original battery while vehicle is running.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom