Gadgets; anyone carrying a portable lithium jump starter box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was going to keep one in the truck (because I'm such a nice guy) in case someone is stranded. Tons on the market, especially on Amazon.

Anyone have a recommendation?

TIA

I have the NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70. It has started my former Tundra 5.7 and V8 4Runner and recently, the VW GTI when its battery died without any problem. It is always with me. It holds its charge for months. It has also saved a couple of neighbors and some fellow off-roaders a few times.

Nocos are awesome. I have 4 of them. LC, Taco, and both boats. Stay charged months. I charge them about every 6 months.

Noco GB40 in all my cars and pack the GB150 on long adventures. Also have their small battery tender type charger as well as a larger charger. Happy with all of their products.

I had a generic "2000A 21,000mAh" lithium jump starter for 4 yrs. Did the job well jump starting 4 friends cars over its lifetime. I charge it prior to every big trip which is probably every 4 mths. It stopped holding charge recently after 4 yrs. Can't complain as it served a useful life.

I replaced it with a NOCO GBX45 "1250A 8,600mAh" unit recently. It's physically about the same size as my previous generic unit. Wonder how truthful the specs were on the previous one and I tend to hold NOCO to higher standards? If I get 4 yrs, I'll be happy. If it lasts longer, I'll be impressed. I prefer smaller units for size and weight advantages, and this one has testaments to starting even big diesel F550s. Wish Project Farm reviewed a newer comparable size NOCO jump starter.

I think the generics could provide a better value in price and capability. Wish the NOCO came with a stiff case instead of a limp bag.

Last edited:
We have two GBX Noco's, one for each vehicle, I love them. We bought the extra carrying cases for them as well. I'm probably going to add a third for the SxS use at deer camp in the fall.

I had a generic "2000A 21,000mAh" lithium jump starter for 4 yrs. Did the job well jump starting 4 friends cars over its lifetime. I charge it prior to every big trip which is probably every 4 mths. It stopped holding charge recently after 4 yrs. Can't complain as it served a useful life.

I replaced it with a NOCO GBX45 "1250A 8,600mAh" unit recently. It's physically about the same size as my previous generic unit. Wonder how truthful the specs were on the previous one and I tend to hold NOCO to higher standards? If I get 4 yrs, I'll be happy. If it lasts longer, I'll be impressed. I prefer smaller units for size and weight advantages, and this one has testaments to starting even big diesel F550s. Wish Project Farm reviewed a newer comparable size NOCO jump starter.

I think the generics could provide a better value in price and capability. Wish the NOCO came with a stiff case instead of a limp bag.
I bought hard cases for both of my NOCOs. Either that brand or aftermarket are available for most any size. Example:

Amazon product ASIN B07C2VZGJY

Was going to keep one in the truck (because I'm such a nice guy) in case someone is stranded. Tons on the market, especially on Amazon.

Anyone have a recommendation?

TIA
I’m not so much a “nice guy” as I am a dork who leaves something on and kills his own battery on a frequent basis. I carry a full-on commercial size jump pack. I would also be interested in something smaller that could perform the function.

I have the NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70. It has started my former Tundra 5.7 and V8 4Runner and recently, the VW GTI when its battery died without any problem. It is always with me. It holds its charge for months. It has also saved a couple of neighbors and some fellow off-roaders a few times.
Same.

OP if you can wait til prime day Noco is usually ~45-50% off.

Forgot to mention.. the GB40 will certainly get the job done with our vehicle in most cases. But I was planning for worst case, as well as the ability to help others. The larger 70 will start a broader range of other vehicles, including many diesels, plus if I’m out in the sticks with a main battery issue the 70 will provide me more starts, or have more overhead in the event of adverse conditions like the Noco being cold, or other difficulties starting the rig that make it take longer.

For me the 70 was the right balance of overhead capacity and storage size.

I have a Gooloo that I got off Amazon during a lightning deal… leave it in the truck most of the time.. I accidentally let an under hood LED kill my battery.. the Gooloo had no trouble starting the truck after having not been charged for at least 6-8 months. Not selling the Gooloo here.. mostly just saying that probably any lithium charge pack will work.. the magic is Al in the battery cells..

Forgot to mention.. the GB40 will certainly get the job done with our vehicle in most cases. But I was planning for worst case, as well as the ability to help others. The larger 70 will start a broader range of other vehicles, including many diesels, plus if I’m out in the sticks with a main battery issue the 70 will provide me more starts, or have more overhead in the event of adverse conditions like the Noco being cold, or other difficulties starting the rig that make it take longer.

For me the 70 was the right balance of overhead capacity and storage size.
No it won’t. Not even at warm ambient temperatures. Our LX battery was totally dead. Lights left on overnight in the garage. The GB40 couldn’t even get a single crank out of the starter.

Had to let the truck sit on the trickle charger overnight before the 40 would get it to fire.

No it won’t. Not even at warm ambient temperatures. Our LX battery was totally dead. Lights left on overnight in the garage. The GB40 couldn’t even get a single crank out of the starter.

Had to let the truck sit on the trickle charger overnight before the 40 would get it to fire.

Do you recall if you used the override function? Supposedly on a totally dead battery, it can't detect it, requiring pressing the manual override to jump.

Do you recall if you used the override function? Supposedly on a totally dead battery, it can't detect it, requiring pressing the manual override to jump.
This.

I also have a GB40 for my DD and that easily started a 5.3L vortec with the battery completely disconnected, to test the starter. Override was critical. Without it the noco wouldn’t do anything.

Under normal operation it monitors the system voltage looking for a drop as a signal to apply full power from the lithium battery. This way it doesn’t sit there burning stored electrons before they are needed. The override disables this monitoring and wait.. which will ultimately the reduce the power it can apply, but you can minimize the penalty by being quick about things.

There is a video on YouTube of someone giving their gb40 hell starting a very hard to start 5.7L (I believe) v8.. it pulled it off. They really are impressive little boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom