FZJ80 Max Tongue Weight Torque Point? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seneca

SILVER Star
Threads
If the answer to this question is out there, I haven’t found it, so hopefully this isn’t a redundant post.

Short version
Will a 100 lbs motorcycle carrier, carrying a 400 lbs motorcycle (total weight 500 lbs), which is fully suspended by the standard 2”
hitch of an FZJ80 (itself with a 5000 lbs towing capacity and thus 500 lbs max tongue weight), which protrudes ~18” (posteriorly) beyond the standard offset of a ball joint, produce too much torque on the frame of the FZJ80? I suspect the answer is yes.

Long Version
FZJ80 has a max tow rating of 5000 lbs, which implies a 500 lbs max tongue weight (or 750 lbs if we can follow the 10%-15% rule of thumb?).

Attach a trailer to a standard ball joint, and yeah, make sure it has a 500 lbs (max) distributed on that ball joint.

But what if the ball protrudes 12” out farther than “standard?” That would add an additional 500 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (or attachment point of the hitch to the frame).

866598A2-B497-40DC-AEB1-13B9FC8F4380.jpeg

For a real world example, take a 600 lbs max load motorcycle carrier (which is fully supported by the hitch, rather than being a trailer). The carrier weighs 100 lbs itself, and a 400 lbs motorcycle is carried by it. The center of mass of the carrier with motorcycle protrudes about 20” out beyond the hitch attachment, or… ~18” beyond the same standard position of a ball joint.

Let’s assume the standard ball joint is 6” beyond the pivot point (at which the hitch and frame are bolted/welded/etc. together). With that, 500 lbs of perpendicular force applied to the ball joint results in 250 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (pivot point).

In the motorcycle carrier example, the moment arm on the frame is roughly 24” beyond the hitch-frame attachment point (pivot point), and thus loading it with 500 lbs (carrier + motorcycle) of perpendicular force applies 1000 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (4x the max torque we can infer from the max tongue weight).

I’m making quite a few oversimplifications/assumptions here, but either I’m overthinking it, or 99% of the people out there with motorcycle carriers are exceeding the torque rating (which I can’t find specified anywhere) of their frames (for any vehicle), assuming we can deduce the torque limit by closely estimating the pivot point on the frame and the moment arm produced by the carrier.

Too many notes? 🎵

i think that would be about the most i would want to have hanging off the back on a bike carrier but it should be fine. i have had a lighter bike on the back plenty of times with no issue but that was probably about 400lb on the hitch.

personally i would install heavier springs or air bags in the back to help control the ride. before i replaced the springs in the truck i was usually driving on the bump stops or pretty close with the bike on the back and handling was not great. after replacing the springs the ride was great with the bike on the back and i had way more confidence with the handling of the truck

If the answer to this question is out there, I haven’t found it, so hopefully this isn’t a redundant post.

Short version
Will a 100 lbs motorcycle carrier, carrying a 400 lbs motorcycle (total weight 500 lbs), which is fully suspended by the standard 2”
hitch of an FZJ80 (itself with a 5000 lbs towing capacity and thus 500 lbs max tongue weight), which protrudes ~18” (posteriorly) beyond the standard offset of a ball joint, produce too much torque on the frame of the FZJ80? I suspect the answer is yes.

Long Version
FZJ80 has a max tow rating of 5000 lbs, which implies a 500 lbs max tongue weight (or 750 lbs if we can follow the 10%-15% rule of thumb?).

Attach a trailer to a standard ball joint, and yeah, make sure it has a 500 lbs (max) distributed on that ball joint.

But what if the ball protrudes 12” out farther than “standard?” That would add an additional 500 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (or attachment point of the hitch to the frame).

View attachment 3385059

For a real world example, take a 600 lbs max load motorcycle carrier (which is fully supported by the hitch, rather than being a trailer). The carrier weighs 100 lbs itself, and a 400 lbs motorcycle is carried by it. The center of mass of the carrier with motorcycle protrudes about 20” out beyond the hitch attachment, or… ~18” beyond the same standard position of a ball joint.

Let’s assume the standard ball joint is 6” beyond the pivot point (at which the hitch and frame are bolted/welded/etc. together). With that, 500 lbs of perpendicular force applied to the ball joint results in 250 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (pivot point).

In the motorcycle carrier example, the moment arm on the frame is roughly 24” beyond the hitch-frame attachment point (pivot point), and thus loading it with 500 lbs (carrier + motorcycle) of perpendicular force applies 1000 ft-lbs of torque on the frame (4x the max torque we can infer from the max tongue weight).

I’m making quite a few oversimplifications/assumptions here, but either I’m overthinking it, or 99% of the people out there with motorcycle carriers are exceeding the torque rating (which I can’t find specified anywhere) of their frames (for any vehicle), assuming we can deduce the torque limit by closely estimating the pivot point on the frame and the moment arm produced by the carrier.

Too many notes? 🎵
I have the factory hitch on my LC.

I regularly carry a 400 lb power wheelchair on a lift that weighs 125 lb.

That's 525 lbs static weight.

The center mass of the wheelchair is approximately 24" away from the rear bumper and about 6" above the rear bumper.

I am well past the 500 lb load rating of the class 2 hitch.

I have the heavy OME springs and I have Airlift air bags in the rear springs. Without the air bags pumped up, I get way more tail wag than I like. I pump up the air bags to 25 psi to raise the rear of the truck to at least level and that is enough to help control the wag.

We have the same setup on our Chrysler T&C van and it does even better due to the longer wheel base.
Make sure to install a winch with steel cable and a hilift jack on the front in order to offset weight of the truck so it is closer to equal on the front and rear bias.

If by "standard hitch" you mean the port/dealer installed Draw-Tite/U-Haul hitch that's bolted to the underside of the frame, it'll be OK. If you mean the hitch mounted to the rear face of the frame, if your inner doubler plate and rear frame members aren't rusted, it would be OK, but if there's any thinning there, I wouldn't.

AFAIK, there is no data sheet for the installed aftermarket under-frame mounted hitch.

Thanks for all the feedback. I seem to be overthinking it.

I have a 4x4labs rear bumper with 2” hitch receiver… port(?), and a Slee short bus front bumper w/ winch + synthetic line, and intermediate suspension.

Given all the great feedback, I’m going to wing it and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom