FZJ80 AZ heat engine temp OCD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I know this has been debating And argued and beat dead a million times but I’m here to bring it back up and hopefully some local dudes will have some input granted our climate is so “extreme” during these months. For context truck is a 1fz-fe 326k. Full coolant flush, fresh radiator, blue hub fan clutch with 30k fluid, 12” electric fan mounted in front of radiator. So two weeks ago I drove up to Greer AZ going through the salt river and the entire climb up to 7500 ft truck rarely saw anything over 200 degrees with AC blowing cold and engine never winding down past 3k RPM. This last weekend I drove it up to the cinders in flagstaff through payson. Same story through the nasty climbs never really say anything beyond 200 degrees running the engine hard. Now where I’m thrown off is cruising down I-10 back into town with cruiser control set at 70mph truck just sits and stays at 207-210. I’m struggling to understand this as the engine is under less stress, less RPM, and lower elevation. Now I understand thermal heat is going to play a roll in this and that in all reality 210 isn’t anything to be too concerned about but is getting “up there”. Is this some sort of anomaly or just what to expect out of this tired girl in the blistering summers. Also note truck sees 180-192 in town with AC lowing ice. No signs of HG going out. Truck runs strong. Oil and coolant both clean and exhaust has no smoke.

Could be the heat pouring out of the road surface on I-10 vs what's coming off the roads on they way up to Flag/Greer. Road temp could be over 150 degrees, plus difference in air temps. Were these temps noted at the same time of day ?

Normal

Well, 207F-210F isn't all that hot when the outside temp is in the 110+. At what point do you have your Pusher Fan up and running? At lower vehicle speeds, it probably helps, but at highway speeds, that fan may serve as a blockage to incoming air through the grill area. Something to consider.

If under load it stays cooler, then you're looking at something having to do with highway speeds or measurement system error (*when you measure, different conditions, etc).

If you want an 😨 moment, leave your scan going with the key in after you shut down the engine. The spike in temp will surprise you over the course of 5-10min when it peaks due to no circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom