FZJ80 AC system help... (My God it's HOT without it!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys/gals, the AC went out on my FZJ80... over the last couple months the AC would run cold, then the air would turn moist and warm up like it switched off... I would hit the ac button to turn it off and 20 sec later turn it back on and it would be good... Now over the past week, I turned it on, it got cold, 20 seconds later it turned hot and no air.. Figured I may have a leak and it leaked out all the refrigerant.

I have no idea how the ac system works so I'm in need of a reputable shop preferably in the S/E Valley Queen Creek, Gilbert, Mesa.. I'd take it to CBT, but trying to see if there may be a place closer to home.. if not I'll run it up to CBT.

TIA for advice!
78373134.jpg

CBT is worth the extra distance!

Could just be low on R134a, too. The way the AC works is by compressing a gas into a liquid, squirting the liquid through a tiny orifice hole such that it expands into a gas, and that expansion is a cooling process. Run that cold gas through a core and blow some air actoss it with a fan, and you get cold air. Suck the gas back i to the compressor, compress it back into a liquid and start over. This is a continuous process, obviously.

When the freon level gets low, there's not enough volume of liquid in the system to expand properly into a gas. When this occurs, there's a pressure switch on the high pressure side that cuts off power to the compressor pulley so the compressor doesn't kill itself running without enough liquid which also lubricates the compressor pump.

Simple pressure check of high and low pressure sides would tell you a lot, and for $20 can of EZFreeze R134a refrigerant at your local parts store and hooking it up to the LOW pressure side to add some more volume back, you could be back to cool runnings.

The LandCruisers will have a yellow sticker by the radiator which specifies which refrigerant is used. If R12 (old stuff), recharge gets more ezpeensive and requires an AC pro. Good luck,

I used to own an 80 and one of the reasons why I sold it is because of the "lack" of AC in the summertime. My 80 ran warm, so in the summer time I would have to watch my water temp (I used ScanGauge II) and I would see my water temp rise up to 218, 220, 224, 226... around the 220 and 222 temp, my AC would stop working. This is the ECU turning off the AC to help save the engine. I would bet this is what is going on. Do you see your water temp needle get about halfway, go beyond halfway? At the halfway mark, it will start to shut off the AC. You may have other things going on too, but chances are this is your biggest thing.

Just acclimate to the weather, fool.

haha...Between age 16 and 25 I drove around Phoenix with no AC between my first car and my CJ7. I was young and fine with it. THEN, I got AC and could never imagine turning back.

Just acclimate to the weather, fool.
HAHA... I've acclimated to a point.. but I'm a fat guy!! On the way home from work yesterday, it started to smell like carnitas and chicharrones! Wasn't sure if I was going to pass out from the heat or from being hungry!

Could just be low on R134a, too. The way the AC works is by compressing a gas into a liquid, squirting the liquid through a tiny orifice hole such that it expands into a gas, and that expansion is a cooling process. Run that cold gas through a core and blow some air actoss it with a fan, and you get cold air. Suck the gas back i to the compressor, compress it back into a liquid and start over. This is a continuous process, obviously.

When the freon level gets low, there's not enough volume of liquid in the system to expand properly into a gas. When this occurs, there's a pressure switch on the high pressure side that cuts off power to the compressor pulley so the compressor doesn't kill itself running without enough liquid which also lubricates the compressor pump.

Simple pressure check of high and low pressure sides would tell you a lot, and for $20 can of EZFreeze R134a refrigerant at your local parts store and hooking it up to the LOW pressure side to add some more volume back, you could be back to cool runnings.

The LandCruisers will have a yellow sticker by the radiator which specifies which refrigerant is used. If R12 (old stuff), recharge gets more ezpeensive and requires an AC pro. Good luck,

Thanks LongDuck for the explanation.. That's kind of what I thought.. since it would work and quickly shut off.. But this would also mean I have a leak that has developed most likely.. It was running really good and cold, but over the last couple weeks it has progressively gotten worse to the point of nothing.

haha...Between age 16 and 25 I drove around Phoenix with no AC between my first car and my CJ7. I was young and fine with it. THEN, I got AC and could never imagine turning back.

I did A/C work in the valley for ten years in the valley before going to work for a company that A/C in their service trucks. The day it hit 122 my service truck was in the shop and the loaner had dark brown vinyl seats with no A/C. Remember SRP had a building off Rural in North Tempe that use to be a TGY. Huge building with a bunch of 20 ton package units on the roof. Spend hours on the roof going from unit to unit with a hose cleaning condenser coils to lower the head pressure to keep the units on line. That building is right in SKy Harbor flight path and noticable quieter when they closed the runways down.

There are several shops in the Gilbert, Tempe and Mesa area. I have used Rad Auto just off the 60 and Gilbert and then Desert Toys and all they work on is Toyotas. Desert Toys is a little pricey but they know their stuff as they were at one time Toyota mechanics.

UPDATE: Took my 80 to Moncur's Automotive (Kerry Moncur) in Mesa. He's a long time 80 Series owner and has built and worked on quite a few. A stickler to using OEM parts and chemicals on everything he works on. Good guy, I would have taken my 80 to CBT, but 65 miles from home can be brutal sometimes, particularly after work when traffic sucks and the need to have a family member come out and pick me up..

Bottom line, I guess my 80's A/C was leaking from the service valves so he replaced both the upper and lower ones and the coolant temp sensor was grounding out when it would hit 120* F. replaced that as well. He ordered a Nippon Denso compressor in advance just in case. But he said compressor still looked and performed good. A great guy and got my AC blowing pretty cold! And the best part was how reasonable he was.. He said price would have been double if it were a Jeep.. :hillbilly:

Moncur's Automotive
Moncur's Automotive
b1oBucHUO1S.png

6056 E. Baseline Rd, Suite 118
Mesa, Arizona 85206
oXiCJHPgn3c.png

(480) 213-6075

Last edited:
just for the record, there is nothing inherently wrong with 80-series A/C systems when they are working correctly - I can freeze my hands off in the LX and the 80, even in this weather

Make certain you have the "Blue Fan Mod" to prevent overheating. Big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom