FZJ domes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Little things don't bother me but...
I can't seem to keep the inside dome lights (front or rear) set
to go on when the doors open or using the switch. I have to keep taking off the cover and moving the stupid bulb around. What a pain...
I've seen something about LED's. Someone was selling a kit for the domes. Has anyone bought this kit?
Or, any ideas to fix the current prob.???
Thanks much...
Patrick.

1994 FZJ, 133k (white) with a brand new radiator...

Dude, a lot of us have Georges LED's. If you don't, then buy them now. You will not regret it.

ok. Cool!

Pat,

Generally, the problem lies with the rubber booted door switches on the rear door frames. They get dirt in them and don't give a good connection. Since the bulbs are also part of the circuit, sometimes messing with them will provide enough power to light them when you get a solid connection there, but it's the switches. Pull them (one screw), shoot them with contact cleaner, and you'll be good to go.

OTOH, I've heard nothing but good about George's LED lights...

LEDs rock. love mine...the boot is usually the cause.

I had the same issue...wiggle light bulb and it would work...I cleaned the switches and it worked from then on.

Pat,
I have the same problem and own the 94 model - annoying. I remember hearing about his LEDs last year then put it off. Anyone have a link??

Chris

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=6328;start=msg50981#msg50981 date=1066184885]
Pat,

Generally, the problem lies with the rubber booted door switches on the rear door frames. They get dirt in them and don't give a good connection. Since the bulbs are also part of the circuit, sometimes messing with them will provide enough power to light them when you get a solid connection there, but it's the switches. Pull them (one screw), shoot them with contact cleaner, and you'll be good to go.
[/quote]

I will try this again, but when I first got the LC I realized the rear door switches were intermittent and tried to remove them to clean them. I removed the screw but could not pull the switch out more than a half inch, (apparently) due to the wiring harness. Is there something I'm missing?

Can't recall how much I can pull mine out, but you don't need much. The boots are carefully pried back/off to expose the rod that activates the switch and I shoot some cleaner down the gaps into the switch. Let them dry so you don't trash the rubber in case the carrier of your cleaner will attack rubber, then reassemble. Next time I do this, I might liberally coat the back of the switch with silicone as that's where the dirt enters I believe (not through the boot side, anyhow).

IdahoDoug

ok, so I need to spray "all" the boots on every door?
The light won't go on no matter which door I open. I guess that is why I thought it was the light bulb...

If the light NEVER goes on no matter how much you jiggle the switches by hand (pushing them in and out), then you may have other problems. Of course be sure the bulb(s) are in good order beforehand.

IdahoDoug

oh ...no, the lights (both) go on, but only after ya jiggle them.
I could pull and clean up the door switches, but not so sure that is the problem...hmmm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom