FYI on Aftermarket Seat Mount (ScheelMann etc) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Browsing Reddit and saw a 200 with what look like the most comfortable seats ever.

I contacted the manufacturer identified in the post and confirmed that Planted Technology in Seattle makes seat mounts for most aftermarket seats for the 2008+ Cruiser. They’re $140 per side.

I may seriously consider these as the thigh support on the standard seats is severely lacking.

54E287AB-5B34-4502-9BA8-6676587F4473.png

Browsing Reddit and saw a 200 with what look like the most comfortable seats ever.

I contacted the manufacturer identified in the post and confirmed that Planted Technology in Seattle makes seat mounts for most aftermarket seats for the 2008+ Cruiser. They’re $140 per side.

I may seriously consider these as the thigh support on the standard seats is severely lacking.

View attachment 2458712

The one concern would be Airbag warning light and any other issues that might arise from the wires not noticing a seat there?

Reactions: HGB
The one concern would be Airbag warning light and any other issues that might arise from the wires not noticing a seat there?

Agreed - not sure on what system affects disconnecting the seat ABS sensor does. Sounds like the owner in that thread is creating a plug/resistor to mimic the bay itself.

I'd wager that the $140 per side quote would be a relatively minor portion of the out-the-door cost on this type of project. :D

Those seats certainly look great though!

I love the Scheel Mann seats and tried for months to find any shop who would install one for me in my Tacoma. Most shops said "no problem!" and then researched and came back and said "sorry after doing some research we can't install these for liability reasons". I was willing to go out of state to get the work done, but no dice. It has been about 2 years though, so hopefully things have changed. If there is a way to get these installed in a 200 and keep all the airbags, tensioners and safety tech working, it would be amazing, and I would definitely be interested. They offer some great patterns and cool fabrics like wool, and the quality seems to be top notch.

I love the Scheel Mann seats and tried for months to find any shop who would install one for me in my Tacoma. Most shops said "no problem!" and then researched and came back and said "sorry after doing some research we can't install these for liability reasons". I was willing to go out of state to get the work done, but no dice. It has been about 2 years though, so hopefully things have changed. If there is a way to get these installed in a 200 and keep all the airbags, tensioners and safety tech working, it would be amazing, and I would definitely be interested. They offer some great patterns and cool fabrics like wool, and the quality seems to be top notch.

Highly unlikely you’d be able to keep the seat mounted airbag in an aftermarket seat.

Keeping full functionality of the remaining bags is one thing but I wouldn’t think the bag is easily transferred to another seat.

I'm late to the party but I'm 99% sure that is Paul from Equipt Expedition Outfitters 200 w/ Scheel Mann seats. We did a big trip last weekend and I rode around in them for a few days. Nice setup and Paul really enjoys the adjustable leg "bolster"? that was lacking in the factory 200 seats and causing him to have back issues. I'm the odd many out, I find the 200 seats uber comfortable and don't mind a factory FJ40 bench seat either :D

Those seats are super nice to sit in, I would definitely buy them when I can travel full time. But wait till you see the price per seat.

Been a couple of years since this post. Looks like Planted Tech still has the brackets. Has anyone documented the process of retaining SRS?

What about just the seat bottom?
Seems to me that the issue is not the entire seat itself but specifically just the seat bottom and the lack of thigh support.

Can the seat bottoms be separated from the seat backs and replaced with something better or can the seat bottoms be modified to include a thigh bolster?

Thanks for the links. I don't, however, see a solid path to Airbag functionality. Applying a supplemental harness to extinguish the lights doesn't seem like it will provide the safety level that I was hoping to see. Yes, the Airbag may go off without the warning lights on, but a crash at over 100 FPS requires precise timing to be effective at decreasing injury - or not increasing injury. This is a pretty violent system. Also, sounds like the passenger seat may be more problematic with the pressure pad.

My suspicion was that this would be a compromise between comfort and safety... and that seems to be the case. Funny how as you age the safety component becomes more relevant. The 200 seats aren't bad, they're just not great. Anyway, thanks again for pointing me to those posts.

I didn't think the Scheel-Mann seats have airbags, but could be wrong. The one in the above posts did not. I am ok with not having a functioning driver seat airbag as long as it doesn't affect the rest of the airbags or other components of the SRS system (seat belt tensioners). I may eventually replace the driver's seat with a Scheel-Mann if I can find a used or surplus one at a good price, but am not considering replacing the passenger seat.

I am the primary driver and need some tall guy love. The factory seats are comfortable enough for me, but my head rubs on the headliner and my knees/calf/thighs get sore and stiff on longer drives. Just hoping to adjust the ergonomics a bit. Maybe it would be easier to get a Landtank seat extension bracket if he made one for the 200.

I wasn't thinking of airbags in the seats, but airbags from the other locations. I don't claim to be any kind of crash expert, but my understanding is that the timing and force of the steering wheel, knee, and side curtains are all critical to keeping you out of the fatal G-force zone. The chart below shows the timing of peak force to absorb is within a millisecond. And that's at a relatively slow 45 kph.

I get that you'd be giving up some degree of safety in a side impact, I just don't feel there's clear data on the potential changes to the others. For example, to what degree does driver's seat position play? Is there any input into driver weight from the seat pad?

At any rate, I think this has answered my own question that there probably isn't sufficient data out there to indicate the degree of performance.

1659816834913.png

1659817268232.png

Go to a few serious vehicle accidents in modern vehicles and you won’t want to give up any of the airbags. The difference in occupant outcome with and without is dramatic.. which should be no surprise to anyone. But still.. the absolute shock I still feel on occasion when we roll up and see the demolished vehicle then find the occupants walking around with a couple bumps.. often refusing any medical evaluation or treatment..

One problem I see with giving up just the seat bolster airbag is everything in any SRS is designed to work as a whole system. The side curtains don’t need to go down as far to protect the occupant when there are side bolster bags, for instance. Get rid of those and you may not do as well in a side impact as a vehicle that didn’t have the bolsters but did have curtains. @OregonLC point about milliseconds mattering does a great job of highlighting the nuances in these systems.

I did most of the leg work on those threads for getting an aftermarket driver seat to at least not give any warnings.

Comments above regarding actual function in an accident of airbags with the workarounds in place are possibly valid.

Happy to answer any questions that I can.

I bought the Planted seat base, wiring harness and plugs from this thread (also above). I am planning on making the conversion, but it may be some time before I can find a seat and get around to installing, as life is getting in the way. If someone needs this sooner I can let it go for basically what I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom