fuel tank questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:confused:Wanting to remove the fuel tank from inside of my 71 fj 40,what are my options? besides paying 800 to 1000 dollars for the auxillary tank. any help would be much appreciated.:bang:

I kinda like the looks of the Downey tank kit, that pretty skid plate is a nice added bling.....

You'll be bumping close to a grand with all the accessories.........
DSC01177.jpg

love the looks of that tank, but unfortunatly that kind of cash is hard to come by around here

I would like to remove interior tank for more room,plus i think it would be a bit safer,being that i have two small kids that love to ride in the cruiser.

safety

not sure on the safety aspect, I thought that too but with the tank under the seat the likelihood of it getting ruptured in a crash is less

I would imagine that you could find a junkyard tank to mount in the location that the Downey tank goes. Have a radiator shop boil it out and seal it if it's nasty. You could make your own skidplate out of 1/4 inch steel.

As far as safety goes, I don't think having the tank inside is a big concern other than fumes from old rotting fuel lines.

In my opinion, you are probably safer with the tank on the inside. I don't know how much room you would save by removing it. Basically, you will just have some under seat room to play with. Personally, I wouldnt mess with it.

But, if you do want to remove it and go cheap, do a search on here for a Blazer gas tank. Some have got a stock Chevy Blazer tank (mid 90s I think) to fit under the rear. You could find one in a junkyard, but you still have to figure out the sending unit, fuel lines, mounting, etc. It probably still won't be "cheap", but should be cheaper than Downey or MAF.

Good luck! :cheers:

i guess safty is not to much concern,The biggest thing is leg room,getting in and out can be a trick for a bigger person,as there is only about 6 inches between roll cage and tank.

The Downey tank without the bling skid plate is $588 (does include the digital sending unit). I've never heard of the interior tank being a safety issue, it's just a pain for us 6'3" guys. By the time you mount the seats above the stock tank, us tall guys look out the windshield frame at about wiper blade level. Removing the stock tank lets us mount our buckets lower.
(a) one advantage of the Downey tank is it's 22 gal. capacity.
(b) another advantage is that it is in fact a fuel cell, much tougher than a steel tank. In lab test the steel tank would rip when the nylon tank would just dent-in, not puncture. That's no doubt why fuel cells are required for racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom