Fuel gauge dropping to empty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40JOHN

SILVER Star
Threads
Driving home from a trip today and had about 150 miles of highway driving on a tank of fuel straight from the gas station. I glanced down and saw that my gauge was sitting below E, no warning light or anything! Last time I had looked, it was at ~1/3 tank. Panicked for a second, then pulled over to fill up. Put in 17 gallons and got back on the road with a full gauge. Glanced down a bit later and it was below E again like the gauge wasn't receiving a signal at all.

Any thoughts on where to start? Hate to dive in to replace a sending unit just for fun. Any way to test the gauge or unit without removing everything?

Driving home from a trip today and had about 150 miles of highway driving on a tank of fuel straight from the gas station. I glanced down and saw that my gauge was sitting below E, no warning light or anything! Last time I had looked, it was at ~1/3 tank. Panicked for a second, then pulled over to fill up. Put in 17 gallons and got back on the road with a full gauge. Glanced down a bit later and it was below E again like the gauge wasn't receiving a signal at all.

Any thoughts on where to start? Hate to dive in to replace a sending unit just for fun. Any way to test the gauge or unit without removing everything?

You will need to pull the sending unit. It is very easy to do so once the back seats are out.

When you take it out you will see there is a wire coil that the sending unit will read from. It's most likely broken or worn somewhere in there.

Sorry I'm not more technical in my explanation...but I had the same exact issue. It was evident upon a very close examination what happened. I think after years of bouncing around in there, it just gets worn and finally breaks.

Easy to replace and gives you a chance to swap out the fuel sock while you're in there.

Did the OP find out what the cause of the dead fuel gauge was?

Man, I was about to post up. Having the same issue. Reads accurately until about 7/8 of a tank, then drops to below E. Light still works. I’ll have to get on this one of these days.

Did the OP find out what the cause of the dead fuel gauge was?

I honestly haven't had a chance to look yet. Just been filling up at about 200 miles. I appreciate the PM with tech info too. Thanks!

It's a LC, that's normal. :flipoff2:

Not wrong, but I like watching the needle move down at least somewhat gradually.

Probably 23+ years of moisture has the sender looking like this....

IMG_20200809_231006.jpg

I'm hoping this fixes it...

PXL_20201001_040044633.jpg

Jason

Is that all new, or did you replace the sender and clean the rest up?

What did that run, and from where if you don’t mind saying?

There is one part reused from the first pic, because I forgot to order it. Bonus points if you can pick it out. I'll have to look up the invoices, it was a mix of PartSouq and LaGrange Toyota I think, if PartSouq did not show stock. I'll post when I find them.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom