Frozen Cruiser leads to no boost and intermittent power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rewind to September...

Went camping/wheeling with the family and blew two heater hoses (top PS and bottom DS). Fortunately had some hose in the cruiser, fixed it in camp, and topped it off with water. Got home and bought anti-freeze to flush and re-fill system.

Unfortunately, I have the short-term memory of a chipmunk and got caught up somewhere in there with life.

Fast forward to December...

Nasty cold streak hits, I haven't driven the cruiser in over a week due as I've been in my plow truck. I go start it to move it. It fires up and I go inside. I come back 10 minutes later and it isn't running. I smell burnt belts. Then my memory kicks in: I've got mostly water in the system!

I thaw it out, replace the two drive belts and fire it up thinking the worst. Vitals all seem fine (nothing catastrophic in regards to engine, freeze plugs, radiator, etc). I drain it and add anti-freeze.

A couple days later I drive it to work and find that the power steering is struggling. The pump is whining (although the levels in the reservoir are fine), and there is little power steering (intermittent and seems to get better as vehicle warms up).

When I go to merge onto the highway, the thing has no nut. It feels exactly like my old normally aspirated 80. This thing is as close as an 80 gets to being quick with my little studded 33s on for the winter (4.88s SC'd with 2.6" pulley & top mount IC).

When I get to work, everything is still fine on vitals from the Ultraguage and I check under the hood idling to find the SC is spinning fine.

I've put over 100 miles on it like this and by all accounts everything seems fine except for no boost and nearly no power steering.

Thoughts (other than I am a moron for freezing my 80 in the first place)?

Nick

Do you have a boost gauge? Guess I'd want to know that the SC is still making positive manifold pressure.

Can (or does) the Ultraguage display oil pressure?

The Ultragauge does not display oil pressure. I have a boost gauge in my shop that I have been meaning to install. I will probably at least do a temporary installation to see if I am creating boost.

Wanted to close the loop on this thread for future reference.

Power steering: I had to rebuild the vane pump.

Supercharger with no boost: the belt was loose, but had been working since I put the smaller (2.6") SC pulley on. I reduced the belt size and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom