front wheel bearings. replace or repack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudmates,
I am going to do a complete brake job including replacing all 4 rotors. my question is at 195k do i need to replace the front wheel bearings or just repack them with grease. I haven't had any issues so far and need some advice. If replacement is the way to go, does anyone have the part #'s for the bearings required? any suggestions on refurbing the Calipers or anything else is appreciated.

TIA

TLC Dan

195k on OEM bearings??? I’d definitely say replace if so, but it’s hard to believe you’ve gone that long without having them replaced at some point (maybe by PO?). I would say replace simply because in order to change the front rotor you’ll have to tear into all of that stuff anyway. It’s a “while you’re in there” type thing. Of course I’m sure some will say if you don’t have any problems just repack, but if you’ve never known of them being repacked before I would play it safe and replace them. Best bet for replacement is to talk to @cruiseroutfit they sell an awesome bearing kit that contains everything you need. 1 kit for each axle so you’ll need 2 total, it’s part #FAWB9807T

For necessary parts I suggest Cruiser Outfitters (Supporting Vendor). Call them, explain what you plan to do and you'll be hooked up.

You'll need grease. I went all out based on deep posts from within user 2001LC thread on this procedure. :(Sorry but couldn't find the link yet. :( (Looked but couldn't find that link) :(wheel bearing thread and got the most expensive tubes i could find.. Probably not necessary but up to you. Each side needs nearly 1 full tube when doing a complete clean out of the knuckle, needle bearings, and wheel bearings, so plan on that as well.

Almagard® Vari-Purpose Lubricant 3751.... I paid nearly 40usd to have 2 tubes shipped to me.....

Did my front bearings and races at 180k as baseline procedure (Also because i was deep enough in, had to rebuild CV's due to torn boots) - I did not have any wheel bearing issues at that time.

I did not touch my rotors other than de-funkify them after, and before placing the caliper. My pads had tons of meat left and rotors looked perfect, also no braking issues prior or after.

Why do you need to replace all of your rotors?

Lexus recommends to "Repack Front Wheel Bearings every 30,000 miles or 24 months".
What exactly is this service? Simply put in more grease behind hub, or would a Lexus service pull the rotors and disassemble them?

If maintained, i.e. adjusted and repacked, regularly, there is no need to change the front wheel bearings at this age. As long as the surfaces of the races and rollers are good, you'll be OK with anther repack. Clean them well and inspect, and take it from there. Don't forget the spindle bearings while you're in there, as they are more likely to fail.
@moser: Repack means to remove all old grease, and I mean all, and then repack with new. That way you remove all fragments of steel or dust from the bearings and lube them with new fresh stuff. A bit like removing all old engine oil before refilling with new, but as the wheel bearings have no sump or filter to handle pollutants, you have to clean them out very carefully with regular intervals.

Btw, always change the inner hub seal when opening the hub, unless they are newish. It's always good to have in stock a set of 6 cones, studs and nuts for the flanges, and spare c-clips; as well as washers for the hub nuts.

Thanks for the reply's guys,
I was looking into replacing the rotors as they are original. Does anyone have the min thickness allowed for these rotors? I have pulsating in the pedal and visually the rears are not wearing evenly so i thinks they need to be replaced. I micrometer will tel me the way to go. I will contact Cruiser Outfitters if i replace (likely) the bearings.......

Thanks
TLC Dan

According to the 04 FSM the front & rear min. pad thickness is 1mm (0.039in)

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 11.44.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 11.45.57 AM.png

I was looking into replacing the rotors as they are original. Does anyone have the min thickness allowed for these rotors? I have pulsating in the pedal and visually the rears are not wearing evenly so i thinks they need to be replaced...
TLC Dan
30 mm front, 16 rear.
Three of the possibilities for uneven wear/pulsing: Loose front wheel bearings. Leaking hub seals. Too little use - rust appearing.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.......

Cruiser outfitters!! Get the kit and replace. I chose the Redline Wheel Bearing Grease, personally.

Another vote for cruiser outfitters, those guys are awesome, their kits have all the parts you need. Also grab two tubs of mobile1 sythetic wheel bearing grease... most like mobil1, they make great lubricants.

At 180k Slee just repacked my OE bearings, I'm just about due to repack them myself again. Look them over and see if there are any signs of wear, if so, replace. Otherwise repack and don't look back.

Slee uses Chevron Starplex ep#2 for their grease if you're curious.

So, Not to push you into other repairs, but just wondering how the rest of your front end is. You're at 195,000 miles. How are your upper and lower ball joints?

For me, both lowers were leaking grease and 1 upper when i purchased the truck at 167k. I did the uppers by going SPC, but waited to do the lowers,... After lots of reading decided against replacing entire LCA and instead used some new 555 lower ball joints sourced from Cruiser Outfitters. If you're in there, and this has never been done, it's probably time. The ones i pulled from my truck could be spun like a broken noise maker with less mileage than yours.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom