Front suspension spacers/levelling kit, do they work with the GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How old are your kids?
There are alternatives to running boards for kid entry to the back. :+)

Kids are 9, 7, 5, & 3. When convenient we load through the back door. Wife is also pretty short, but hey she's the one that "always wanted an SUV!" Ha

Kids are 9, 7, 5, & 3. When convenient we load through the back door. Wife is also pretty short, but hey she's the one that "always wanted an SUV!" Ha
how odd! ;P 3,5,7,9

There's a back door mod I want to do whereby you can open the door from inside. Prados have a handle inside and folks here have done it a couple different way, so it's doable.
Put that one on your list too ;)

how odd! ;P 3,5,7,9

There's a back door mod I want to do whereby you can open the door from inside. Prados have a handle inside and folks here have done it a couple different way, so it's doable.
Put that one on your list too ;)
YES! Back door latch is on my list. I've seen those threads. So much good info here.

I wonder if a thick fender washer could work for that bump stop extension? Like something from this page or stacking a few stainless ones from home depot.?;) Yours look a lot more substantial.

Flat Washers

(I may have posted this twice, page is acting weird on phone)

Last edited:
DRANGED.
I reviewed this thread did I miss a link where you found your pucks?

Ha, yeah I've got it multi-posted. I'll just keep the detailed beta in my build thread...sorry for the confusion. I'm answering each post as they come in...

I made them out of 1/4" plate steel.

Last edited:
Ha, yeah I've got it multi-posted. I'll just keep the detailed beta in my build thread...sorry for the confusion. I'm answering each post as they come in...

I made them out of 1/4" plate steel.
Sorry, your spacers pucks, not bump stop pucks. Did you make spacers pucks too...?

Also your posts I think are fine all relevant to the thread title when it's same content

Last edited:
Sorry, your spacers pucks, not bump stop pucks. Did you make spacers pucks too...?

Also your posts I think are fine all relevant to the thread title when it's same content

Oh, my bad. No that was an eBay score on one of their 15% days.
Toyota Tacoma 4Runner FJ Cruiser | 1.5" Lift | Front Leveling Kit Aluminum Block | eBay

Oh, I was just suggesting your post reminded me I'm cross-posting, but yeah per this, It's pertinent where it's posted, it just comes out funnily when basically the same populates at the same time in different threads ;)
It may be frustrating to the folks that top-off by recent postings ;)

But Yeah, i'm agreeing with you. *thumbsup*

**EDIT** 1330 9/27/18
15% off everything on eBay until 7 pm tonight, code: PICKSOON
1900 PDT 9/27/2018

Last edited:
Wheelers off road sells 1/4 and 3/8" thick spacer made of UHMW. Wheeler's SuperBump Spacers (WHE SB Spacer)
The shipping can be expensive if you just ordering that.

Mc Master Carr have 2" OD, 1/4" thick washer in a pack of 5
McMaster-Carr

Fastenal also have same thing if you have store close by.

HAHA!
rad. I was looking at the wheelers bump stops and was emailing them, and noticed the bump stop suggests it can come with a spacer (that's where I got the 3/8" idea), but I never dug into the site to see if the spacers could be purchased separately...Turns out their spacer is exactly what i ended up making. Sweet!!
Thanks for that link! Good beta for this thread.

Oh, my bad. No that was an eBay score on one of their 15% days.
Toyota Tacoma 4Runner FJ Cruiser | 1.5" Lift | Front Leveling Kit Aluminum Block | eBay

Oh, I was just suggesting your post reminded me I'm cross-posting, but yeah per this, It's pertinent where it's posted, it just comes out funnily when basically the same populates at the same time in different threads ;)
It may be frustrating to the folks that top-off by recent postings ;)

But Yeah, i'm agreeing with you. *thumbsup*

**EDIT** 1330 9/27/18
15% off everything on eBay until 7 pm tonight, code: PICKSOON
1900 PDT 9/27/2018

That ebay vendor sells the 2 and 3 inch spacers for almost half off the 1.5 inch spacer.....supply and demand I guess...

That ebay vendor sells the 2 and 3 inch spacers for almost half off the 1.5 inch spacer.....supply and demand I guess...
Yup. Pay for the convenience. Just like why are 5#, 2gal propane bombs $50 empty, and why are 60cf welding gas bottles like $50ish and 120cf are like $75ish...
;)

Tacos run 1.5" pucks seemingly no problem all over the place but most'd argue MOST are dirt Rd at best...I think I did see1/2" pucks too and considered them. I was on the fence about the puck im general (thus all my questioning here and elsewhere) until the eBay coupon came up, then I put the trigger for the 3/4"

Last edited:
I really want a total lift of 2" but don't want to stress it, so the 1.5" lift with the .75 pick is what I'll do, looks like it leveled yours nicely.

I really want a total lift of 2" but don't want to stress it, so the 1.5" lift with the .75 pick is what I'll do, looks like it leveled yours nicely.

Yeah, I understand that sentiment, completely. I'd say if wanting 2" I feel it needs to be done correctly, longer shocks and taller springs or a coilover which provides proper travel with the height, and that implies adjusting the rear too..
And, from my perspective, liking the factory ride on and off road and using/liking the variable shock dampening settings and appreciating the efficacy of the airbags (self-levelling even when loaded), doing a real suspension swap removes those shocks and the rear airbags and would change (maybe not too much but change) the ride quality, so I had to nerd out on this leveling spacer and try it.
My buddy, tired of all my details said, "do it, you'll be the first to know if it works."
haha, so here we go, counter to solid advices. At least I'm going into it knowledgeable and understanding the limitations and hazards.
As such, I wanted to get this all out there as i figure it out. It seemed to me, based on so many tacos and FJs on leveling pucks, that it could be a reasonable way to get the skid off the deck, and realizing the hazards and being aware of them while using the rig are keys to this method.
I'll report back from elephant hill next week and that'll be the firs real test.

*EDIT*
and yeah, hub to fender flare is the same front and rear, so the factory rake is gone.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, I understand that sentiment, completely. I'd say if wanting 2" I feel it needs to be done correctly, longer shocks and taller springs or a coilover which provides proper travel with the height, and that implies adjusting the rear too..
And, from my perspective, liking the factory ride on and off road and using/liking the variable shock dampening settings and appreciating the efficacy of the airbags (self-levelling even when loaded), doing a real suspension swap removes those shocks and the rear airbags and would change (maybe not too much but change) the ride quality, so I had to nerd out on this leveling spacer and try it.
My buddy, tired of all my details said, "do it, you'll be the first to know if it works."
haha, so here we go, counter to solid advices. At least I'm going into it knowledgeable and understanding the limitations and hazards.
As such, I wanted to get this all out there as i figure it out. It seemed to me, based on so many tacos and FJs on leveling pucks, that it could be a reasonable way to get the skid off the deck, and realizing the hazards and being aware of them while using the rig are keys to this method.
I'll report back from elephant hill next week and that'll be the firs real test.

*EDIT*
and yeah, hub to fender flare is the same front and rear, so the factory rake is gone.
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread but I was wondering if the 3/4 puck effected your ride quality?

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread but I was wondering if the 3/4 puck effected your ride quality?
Nope. Rides like stock but front end is up off the ground more.

I drive it conservatively RE: compression. I've gotten feedback the stock shocks have built-in safety such that a spacer this small wouldn't override internal.safety, but I'm still cautious.

On haven't ride isn't affected as these are NOT preload spacers, and factory shock.dampening adjustment is retained. Off-road there's more front end clearance and I don't think I have reduced up or down travel....

Nope. Rides like stock but front end is up off the ground more.

I drive it conservatively RE: compression. I've gotten feedback the stock shocks have built-in safety such that a spacer this small wouldn't override internal.safety, but I'm still cautious.

On haven't ride isn't affected as these are NOT preload spacers, and factory shock.dampening adjustment is retained. Off-road there's more front end clearance and I don't think I have reduced up or down travel....
@DRANGED do you know how thick your spacer is? (Edit: I looked it up, yours is 3/4") I remember it gained a total of 1.5 inches in height, but how thick was the spacer itself? There is a pair locally for $25. Want to make sure it's not for a 2" lift..... As 2" seems to be prevalent, seller thinks it's for a 1.5" lift. I want to make sure. Thanks.

Seller says it's 1" thick. @Jstawgn , would that increase total lift over 1.5 inches? I just want a little more clearance up front - don't want to stress anything too much. Mostly my wife's DD, sees occasional off-road camping excursions, no 'heavy' Wheeling. . .??. would 2" be too much?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom