Front end rebuild kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a JDM 91 Land cruiser with the 1hdt it is full time 4 wheel drive with a single locker switch. I have differential fluid leaking to the Knuckle on the drivers side. I see lots of kits out there but, are any clearly better? Just looking for people that have done this repair and their experience. I would definitely not want a do over when there is vast knowledge on this site. Thanks for the great posts here!

I have done a bit of both, looked at the kit parts list and also looked the OEM exploded parts diagrams and built my own list and pricing on line.
Gave up on going to the local dealer, as their pricing is crazy high, other than for things like Oil plug washers and such.
Sometimes the kits are cheaper, other times, not so much.

If you are getting the cruiser outfitters kit make sure to get the wheel bearings. My kit only came with trunnion bearings. It’s my fault for not asking. I assumed it came with the kit. It did not. They have a great kit.

Get the 54mm socket from Cruiser Outfitter's to go with the kit. I also went to Harbor Freight and picked up a seal puller, seal install punch kit, 9 mil gloves, brass hammer, brass punches, and LOTS of shop towels. Get a torque wrench. I used 5 cans of brake cleaner and some degreaser. It was a mess, but worth it. Go ahead and get the spindle nut and washer kit for both sides from Cruiser outfitter in case your nuts are chewed up! And most importantly plenty of cold :beer:

I soaked my cv joints in diesel for a few days, emptying and refilling several times until no grease left, followed up with brake cleaner, then used compressed air to blow it clean.

Good luck and follow the directions in the kit, watch the Ottram vids over and over, and research the @ToysRus thread in the 80's tech section.

IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG

And most importantly plenty of cold :beer:
☝️ Definitely the most critical tool to have on-hand. I needed about 18 of them when I did this job on the 40 a few weeks ago.

knuckle.JPG
40.JPG

If you are getting the cruiser outfitters kit make sure to get the wheel bearings. My kit only came with trunnion bearings.
Yep - If you order through their new website, it gives you the option of adding Japanese (Koyo) or USA (Timken) wheel bearings to the knuckle kit: 8x Series Knuckle Rebuild Kit - Fits 8x 1/1990-1/1998 80/81 Series & LX450 - https://cruiserteq.com/toyota-knuckle-rebuild-kit-80-series-fa9097/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom