Front end noise when turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PO said entire front end was rebuilt, also looks like some steering comments maybe & the steering wheel is way off center.

When I crank the wheel fully I hear this noise when turning

sounds like a cv. you can remove the front drive shaft, lock the centre diff and try again as a RWD. if it doesnt make the noise with the DS removed then look at the CV's
Also, check that the circlips are in on the end of the axles - remove the little dust caps & check
either way it will need to be lifted up & wheels off to start checking everything

CV joint. The good news is you can swap sides with the outer ends and buy some time to save up for new ones.

@blobmaster if it turns out to be clicking from dry/worn CV joints (Birfields or Birfs for short) you'll want a grease fortified with Molybdenum (MOLY). Valvoline Palladium has 3% Moly and is sold at NAPA stores, good stuff. They stock the NLGI #2 which is the correct thickness for most regions. There is an NLGI #1 for extreme cold environments but it seems impossible to find.

Sounds very metallic if it’s the Birfields there bone dry.
Like other have said check with a zip tie but if you find it empty I would pull it apart and repack the birfields and Swap them from side to side.
You can recenter the steering wheel by shortening or lengthening the tie rod, the rod that goes from the pitman are on the steering box to steering arm on the knuckle.
I try to get it close as I can before I tighten the clamps (OEM) or jam nut (aftermarket) then drive down a side street slow to see where the wheel is, then stop and adjust as necessary tell it’s in the correct position.
Then tighten everything down. 😉

To skip the guesswork when adjusting your steering wheel:

Turn wheel to right: Roll bar backward
Turn wheel to left: Roll bar forward
I wouldn’t call it guess work 🤷‍♂️ Sheesh
There alway more than one way to skin a cat.
IMHO driving down the street tells you if it’s perfect or not.

no big deal to find out yourself, but why not know beforehand

Every time I need to adjust the rod, which is rarely, I have to work out the direction manually. Even worse, it's even easy to forget between adjustments on the same test drive! There's no easy mnemonic like lefty-loosey for backwardy-righty.

I agree if you don’t find enough or any grease in there, it’s better to disassemble and pack the birfs/CV. But for the time being, pumping grease in there through the fill plug is better than nothing.

To skip the guesswork when adjusting your steering wheel:

Turn wheel to right: Roll bar backward
Turn wheel to left: Roll bar forward
yes for LHD and the reverse for RHD

just did mine after changing relay rod ends.

CV joint. The good news is you can swap sides with the outer ends and buy some time to save up for new ones.
It’s a bummer, I’m gonna contact the previous owner. He said he had the entire front end rebuilt recently.

@blobmaster : can you post up a few photos of the swivel balls (either end) of your front axle along with the front suspenstion components?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom