Front diff fluid question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It’s supposed to be 103 this weekend so I think I am just gonna rinse and repeat a few times with gear oil over the next couple hundred miles. I have had no problems with the diff or birfs I just knew the seals were bad as there was tons of grease leaking from the wipers. I was thinking of putting in a can of sea foam with some oil and doing an initial fill and rinse with just like 5 or 10 miles of driving to warm it up but I didn’t know if it was safe to put the sea foam in there as I doubt I would be able to get ALL of it out after draining. Going to finish the job this weekend as long as the heat doesn’t take me first.

Thanks again
seafoam will break up the sludge. youre going to have to fill with fresh gear oil anyway and flush the crap out a couple times. seafoam wont hurt it. infact if you ever get water in there seafoam is your best friend...

seafoam will break up the sludge. youre going to have to fill with fresh gear oil anyway and flush the crap out a couple times. seafoam wont hurt it. infact if you ever get water in there seafoam is your best friend...
That's debatable.

Seafoam is evil.

It is another Snake Oil product.

I'll bet if you rub it on your junk, your wife will have better Oh's.....

All the time wasted by filling and draining you could pull the diff, inspect the gears and reinstall.

If it's a locked diff make sure you lock it or it won't come out. Also mark the driveshaft orientation.

Fipg will work best to seal the diff with no paper, just make sure it's clean with no oil residue.

The small nuts are only like 28ft lbs. Confirm that in the fsm.

The best thing to do to get all the grease out quickly is pull the diff and get some rags to push through the axle tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom