Front brake snap ring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Attempted replacing front discs and brakes for the first time myself. Followed FSM and YouTube videos all the way and everything went fine, until the very end when it came to put on the snap ring...

The drive shaft is not sticking out far enough to even see the groove the snap ring went into.

Before I pull it all apart and try again - am I supposed to pull the drive shaft out? If so how do I do that?

Thanks!

You put a bolt in the thread at the end of the cv shaft and pull, rotate the hub aswell, it will help disperse the grease from around the needle bearing.

Attempted replacing front discs and brakes for the first time myself. Followed FSM and YouTube videos all the way and everything went fine, until the very end when it came to put on the snap ring...

The drive shaft is not sticking out far enough to even see the groove the snap ring went into.

Before I pull it all apart and try again - am I supposed to pull the drive shaft out? If so how do I do that?

Thanks!
What Julian said ^ Yes, you’ll need to pull and hold the axle outboard with a fair amount of force to fit the correct size snap ring. The axle is tapped M8x1.25 (iirc) and there’s a number of places you can borrow a bolt from on your rig if you don’t have one handy, the bolts for the plastic underbody “bash plate” will work for example and you’ll want to rig up some sort of lever/puller. Here’s a pic lifted from one of @2001LC exquisitely detailed and informative “snap ring gap and setting bearing pre load” threads.

420D136A-6372-4E21-AF1D-9F7324036D06.jpeg

I think @2001LC has upgraded his process with this set up:
01 LC wheel hub flange 002.JPG

Thanks for the responses, thats great news I was worried it was going to be a pull apart and try again answer.
I actually put one of the bolts from the plastic "bash plate" in and gave it a small yank, but now I'll try with some force.

Also (this might be obvious to you but usually the obvious answers are the ones most often overlooked) don't just pull the axle outward with the bolt; push the hub inward at the same time that you pull the axle outward and that will usually give you enough clearance to install a properly sized snap ring.

Back in business! Thanks all!

disc.jpg

Also, jack up under the lower control arm until the axle is as straight as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom