front axle service writeup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn't someone write up an elaborate post on the front axle service?

I'm hearing the clicking now :(

I got the FSM from Jim and have been reading up on it (Jim kindly highlighted the needed section with some grease ;) )

I am ordering parts from Dan, any hints to make this go smoothly?

Thanks!

check the tech page, i'm sure the front axle service is there, under axle/drivetrain

Sean,

Bad- is correct. It is in tech links and Jim was the author. As you have his original manuscript ;), all should go well.

If only you had his socket.......... ::)

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33171#msg33171 date=1061301607]
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/birf-repack.html for the direct link and the "search/browse" challenged...hehehe
[/quote]

I searched but did not browse ::) my bad.

Many more stupid questions to come next week ??? I am sure.

Thanks all.

About how long would this take a novice (with half drunk supervision)?? I really need to do this but my cruiser is my daily driver so i can't let it take more than the weekend. Thanks

First time around will probably take you 1 to 1.5 days. By the 5th time you'll have it down to about 5 hours :).

what does this clicking sound like? ??? Every now and then I hear a clicking noise but each time I check I find a rock stuck in the tire tread. Always makes me a bit nervous 'cause I have no clue if the previous owner had them services or not and I'm at 90K miles.

[quote author=Curran link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33343#msg33343 date=1061346143]
what does this clicking sound like? ???
[/quote]

Um, well, clicking. ::) in some cases you may get a rumbling effect. It generally intensifies in turns as the birfs are loaded.

[quote author=Curran link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33343#msg33343 date=1061346143]
what does this clicking sound like? [/quote]
If your butt tenses, your wallet gurgles, you get cold chills and you hear the click, then get ready big boy, the mightly :banana: is coming in.

Not trying to scare you too much, ;) :D beware that most guys on the 80's list talk about clicking later find out a rock was in the tire tread (if they had swampers, it would be a crunch crunch crunch instead of the lil mtr click clidk click :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33219#msg33219 date=1061309967]
First time around will probably take you 1 to 1.5 days.
[/quote]

My first and only time took over a week... ::)

But, you need to take into account that I am somewhat challenged when it comes to my mental abilities... :D

Having never done this service I have learned that you need to check the axles for wear in the area that the seal sits. If there's wear you will need to reman them. This is take more time. :'(

There's a good post from Sleeoffroad on this.

Also when I plan on doing this I was going to just replace the front wheel bearing as well since I'm in there.

what does this clicking sound like? ... [/quote]

It sounds like a racheting noise. It (currently) only happens when I am turning left and accelerating hard.

The best way to not have to check the birfs for wear where the seal sits is to go ahead and buy a set of longfields to throw in when you do the service. :D
I just did the same service on my 40 for the first time and I started Sunday around 3, worked till 12:00 on sunday, then worked from about 9am monday to 3am tuesday. But I had to go to soccer practice and some other stuff on tuesday. I estimate 20 hours of actual working garage time. Accomplished in 1.5 days. :D
Its not an 80, but its nearly exactly the same thing, as far as this service is concerned. I bought a 20 gal parts washer before I started, and if you have room I would reccommend this, saved a lot of time, mess and rags.

aren't longfields treated to be softer, less brittle? would this run to increased wear in them, not an issue in 40's, but is in the full time 80's

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33471#msg33471 date=1061391785]
The best way to not have to check the birfs for wear where the seal sits is to go ahead and buy a set of longfields to throw in when you do the service.[/quote]

It is not the birfield that has the wear, but the inner axle. Also the dust seal area on the spindle. The machined part of the birfield runs in the bushing.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33473#msg33473 date=1061392136]
aren't longfields treated to be softer, less brittle? would this run to increased wear in them, not an issue in 40's, but is in the full time 80's
[/quote]

Correct, they are not an option for street use.

woo hoo i'm learning something

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=4439;start=msg33517#msg33517 date=1061401716]
Correct, they are not an option for street use.
[/quote]
Ok, not a problem, you'll have to do a part time 4x4 convo at the same time then. :D
C'mon guys think outside the box ::) :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom