Front axle mysterious part in housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I broke my birf axle joint in Moab, when I pulled it out to replace it this was stuck in the axle housing. It doesn't go to the diff and it couldn't have come from outside the axle seal in the knuckle considering I had to cut it up to avoid pulling the 3rd member. Any ideas?

IMG_20230401_152021.jpg

IMG_20230401_152014.jpg

That's the positioning guide ring for the axle shaft. It is not serviced. It was welded in at one point.

Yes, it is needed to guide the axle shaft back into position. The factory fix is replace the housing.

Yes, it is needed to guide the axle shaft back into position. The factory fix is replace the housing.

...so what's the school solution for the backyard fix?

...so what's the school solution for the backyard fix?
I posted a link to another thread. I'm wondering if I can get wire through the breather tube hole on top of the axle also

Last edited:
I have also heard a claim that a loop of braided wire could be threaded down through the bolt hole for the brake line distribution block.

I have to remember that one. That's my kind of backyard engineering! And way cheaper than a axle.

...or get a mugwai

Remove the differential then reach into the tube on that side and tack weld a large ?steel washer inside of the axle housing?? Problem would be getting far enough in (out near the end of the housing). Or, cut the swivel ball off, tack weld a large washer in place (include a few drain holes in the washer), then weld the swivel ball back on??

Toyota likely has a special jig/tool to hold the ring in place when it was originally installed, possibly before the swivel ball was welded to the housing??

IDK

Finagled it in without doing anything. Update. People don't try I guess

Nicely done...the circle is just a guide right? So as long as you were able to fish out the broken ring, and guide rod into the diff yourself...then it's all good? I had a similar problem when I did my knuckles too. I cannot imagine having to loop a wire into the housing from the breather tube location.

Nicely done...the circle is just a guide right? So as long as you were able to fish out the broken ring, and guide rod into the diff yourself...then it's all good? I had a similar problem when I did my knuckles too. I cannot imagine having to loop a wire into the housing from the breather tube location.
Yes it's just a guide, I had to fish the guide piece towards the knuckle and I got some tinning snips in there to chop into pieces so I didn't have to pull the 3rd member. The wire does seem like it will work also. But I figured I'd try without it. You have to push down on the birf bend it all the way down get the axle in the finagle from there

The ring also helps to protect the axle shaft seal from damage during the shaft install process.

Let us know how it's going in 5000 miles.

You can also stick weld these back in. Bend the rod, use a mirror, and do the weld.

Easy peasy.......

probably want to check the brass bushing in the back of the spindle for wear. somebody suggested that was why the positioning ring worked loose because of the extra slop in the axle rotation inside the housing with that bushing worn and sure enough mine was pretty bad. the broken birf end would do it too since the stub shaft wasnt guiding the whole assembly anymore but i know i dont check that bushing very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom