Front axle evaulation for FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most excelent , thanks Tank

landtank, thanks for the write up, that is exactly what I needed, very useful info.

Rick,

How is it that a guy as old as you still has all that hair and it aint grey? :flipoff2:

Don't you have a teenage daughter? :eek:

Rick,

How is it that a guy as old as you still has all that hair and it aint grey? :flipoff2:

Don't you have a teenage daughter? :eek:

Yup the daughter is 18 and the man child is 14. My father was bald at 21 however my grandfather on my mothers side died at 83 with every last strand still in place, but by then it had grayed. :flipoff2:

Yup the daughter is 18 and the man child is 14. My father was bald at 21 however my grandfather on my mothers side died at 83 with every last strand still in place, but by then it had grayed. :flipoff2:

Baldness (or the lack of) is inherited through your mother's genes.

-B-

Yup.

My mother's father was a billard ball......:crybaby:

He used to say that he was 6 feet tall but his hair was only 5 feet 10.:D

Is it possible that the 54mm nut is loose? Mechanic said that might solve the problem.

Same thing... The hub nut is what keeps the bearings loaded.

-B-

The hub should be removed, the spindle inspected, the bearings cleaned and packed and then reassembled and setup correctly.

For someone who knows what he's doing this is a simple task and can be done blind folded.

If the guy wants to just tighten a nut and call it good, you need another guy!

I was inspecting things under the truck while he was installing my glass pack (even with gutted cats is VERY quiet), and I was doing the front axle 'test' and noticed it was loose. He said that the nut was the problem and tightening it was the solution.

I had my birfs done less than a year ago, but I think the wheel bearings are original, should I replace them? Do I use moly grease or regular axle grease?

If you want to play the odds then what he did is fine. But like I said you need to open it up, clean everything and inspect the parts for wear to be sure what the truck needs and what the appropriate action should be.

This isn't something that is cut and dry, some professionals have trouble with it.

What kind of time and money am I looking at to just open it up, clean stuff, look at it, grease it, and put it back together? And again, what kind of grease do I need to use?

here is what I do.

Jack up the truck and remove the tire

Remove the brake caliper

Loosen the six nuts on the drive flange and then hammer out the cone washers.

Remove the nuts and washers as well as the drive flange

Remove the outer nut, lock washer, inner nut, inner washer and outer bearing.

replace outer nut so I can bump inner bearing against it, to drive off the inner grease seal and inner bearing. This salvages the grease seal for reuse.

clean everything up and inspect for wear.

repack both inner and outer bearings and re assemble according to FSM instructions.

This is kind of long when looking at it in procedural form but if there is a local that could help you through this it would not seem so daunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom