Frankenstein hitch mounted tool/fuel storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I've been trying to come up with some ideas for mounting fuel and tools on the exterior of my rig. I do not have the need (or budget) for a full-on ARB type rear bumper with the tire carrier that allows you to mount directly (via mod/fab) to the bumper, swing, or spare tire (BugoutRack). So, I've been considering a Wilco or Rigd hitch-mounted spare tire carrier and some of their accessories to mount items but the price on that starts getting close to the $1500-2000 range with all the accessories. I'll be honest and say I like the look of rigs with the spare on the back and things attached to it but I don't currently need to get the spare out from under the truck and that would be a lot of money just for appearances.

I have an RTT so I don't have a LOT of room left on the rack to carry things that I DON'T want inside because they'll either be very messy or dangerous:
  • MaxTrax
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • HiLift
  • Fuel (Jerry can or Rotopax)
  • Propane
So, to that end, I've started tinkering with an unconventional idea that I think would come in around $500-600. Essentially, my idea is to use a heavy duty bike rack swing arm (Thule Access, RakAttach, etc) with an adjustable Pintle mount hitch hooked up. I would then disassemble my HiLift and bolt it directly to the Pintle plate and bolt some crossbars and E-track to the cross bars. I could then attach all kinds of things to that arrangement. I know you'd have to disassemble it all to use the jack but for me, the jack is really only for emergency use and therefore having immediate access to it is not critical. This also saves some weight by using the jack to hold everything up and not som similarly sized chunk of metal to hold the jack and everything else.

Any thoughts?

Thule Access (@sherman has verified it'll work with the tailgate) holds 350 pounds, $349:
thule.png

Pintle ( I would turn this 180 degrees),$82 :

pintle.jpg

Rack Prototyp using HiLift (obviously, this is just a mockup and lacking the E-track), $60 for the E-track:

Rack01.JPG
Rack02.JPG

My first reaction is that I suspect it would vibrate and potentially flop side to side more than expected with that long lever (the high lift) with all of that weight on it.

I think Kaymar makes a swing out that doesn’t require a full bumper replacement (Long Range Automotive is the US dealer). I’d be inclined to start there, and customize as needed.

I like the look of the swing arm mounted items, but I think it would really mess with the day to day ease of use for us. In normal times, we’re constantly in and out of the cargo area.

I've been slowing walking down this path but haven't committed to a major build yet. I had considered the Thule swing hitch, but from picture references, one of key things missing in my mind is a tensioned tie down for the swing arm. I could be wrong but it only seemed to have a pin. Versus other designs that use some kind of over center latch to reduce any potential vibration. Which is too bad, because you're right that the the Thule is lower profile to fit under the tailgate. Something that my Yakima is not.

Following as I'm still collecting ideas in my mind for the same end goal. Not for the tire, but it'd be great to fit some water canisters, cooler, and chuck box type things out the back.

Last edited:
I've been slowing walking down this path but haven't committed to a major build yet. I had considered the Thule swing hitch, but from picture references, one of key things missing in my mind is a firm tie down for the swing arm. I could be wrong but it only seemed to have a pin. Versus other designs that use some firmed over center latch to reduce any potential vibration. Which is too bad, because you're right that the the Thule is lower profile to fit under the tailgate. Something that my Thule is not.

Following as I'm still collecting ideas in my mind for the same end goal. Not for the tire, but it'd be great to fit some water canisters, cooler, and chuck box type things out the back.
For that use case, what about a hitch carrier? I have a low end steel one that is great for gas cans, coolers, and dry bags/boxes, when we aren’t towing a trailer. They range from the cheapo steel ones like I have to very nice tig welded aluminum units (the Pakmule).

I"m in the minority that doesn't find a swingout much of an inconvenience.

However, I think the concerns about load sway are well placed. Consider running a couple 'stabilizer' arms down under the body to the transport tie down points - that way you can get the hitch and 2 tie downs (three points) and triangulate the supports.

Finally, the RLC bumper is at the price range of the quoted hitch solutions, and it can easily be run without the swingarm installed.

Hey guys, thanks for jumping into the conversation!

My first reaction is that I suspect it would vibrate and potentially flop side to side more than expected with that long lever (the high lift) with all of that weight on it.

I think Kaymar makes a swing out that doesn’t require a full bumper replacement (Long Range Automotive is the US dealer). I’d be inclined to start there, and customize as needed.

I like the look of the swing arm mounted items, but I think it would really mess with the day to day ease of use for us. In normal times, we’re constantly in and out of the cargo area.
True about flopping side to side. I was thinking that if I could run two bolts through the jack that were 8-10" apart, that should help stabilize but I'll have to think about that some more. The Kaymar thing sounds interesting. In the 2 minutes I had to look at the site it was hard to figure out which product was the right one but I'll try to call LRA tomorrow and see if they can point me in the right direction.

One thing about the hitch-mounted version versus the bumper-mounted is that you CAN remove it when not overlanding which is a plus for me.

For that use case, what about a hitch carrier? I have a low end steel one that is great for gas cans, coolers, and dry bags/boxes, when we aren’t towing a trailer. They range from the cheapo steel ones like I have to very nice tig welded aluminum units (the Pakmule).

I actually have one of those and use it for long highway trips with the family. However, I'm looking for something that won't COMPLETELY ruin what departure angle I have for a trip I have planned this summer to Utah and Colorado. Not planning on doing rock crawling but do hope to do some moderate trails like Engineer Pass, etc.

I"m in the minority that doesn't find a swingout much of an inconvenience.

However, I think the concerns about load sway are well placed. Consider running a couple 'stabilizer' arms down under the body to the transport tie down points - that way you can get the hitch and 2 tie downs (three points) and triangulate the supports.

Finally, the RLC bumper is at the price range of the quoted hitch solutions, and it can easily be run without the swingarm installed.
I had totally forgotten about the RLC option. I'll give him a call tomorrow!

Yup, that's where I am at the moment. I have two hitch carriers, with one tailored for what you're describing. While it's 3+ft up in the air, and works good for overlanding, I've had to take it off on occasion to tackle the fun obstacles. Would like something tighter and higher fitting, with swingout.

1620154737652.png

6EC5460A-1600-4140-8D68-36E8645895BB.jpeg

I got this very large aluminum bike rack/hitch basket and arranged it (via grinder and drill) to sit just behind where the tailgate rests...which allows it to work sort of like a recliner while sitting in the back of the truck.

Also works well as a table for the baby carrier when doing a diaper change. It’s far enough back that I can easily walk in between it and the hatch area for loading groceries. And it’s big enough to easily strap down a large wheelbarrow...it’s like a poor mans Ute except I get my third row still.

while it wrecks my departure angle, I also leave my gen y hitch on there too because it means I can hook up and tow my utility trailer or camper without removing the basket.

If I don’t want my departure angle wrecked and want to take the basket on an off-roading trip, I can remove the gen y hitch adapter and just run the riser and basket...it still allows room to get in the back of the truck...or I can tuck it up close to the tailgate if I want maximum departure angle.

I was looking at the Thule swing away hitch adapter but decided I preferred this...cheaper, less likely to break, no extra steps to get into the rear of the truck, etc.

Towever 84131 Trailer 2 inches Dual Hitch Receiver Adapter Extender for Towing and Riser for Bicycle Rack, Extra Long Towing Accessories Amazon product ASIN B07PTPJJ7Z
Tow Tuff TTF-2762ACBR 2-in-1... Amazon product ASIN B00PXNC7K0
GEN-Y Hitch Mega-Duty Dual Receiver Hitch: Raise or Drop up to 7.5” – 10,000 Pounds Capacity, 1500 Pounds Tongue Weight, GH-304 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I486BTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JEM9G77K200JTQY4ZVRG

78159778-156F-4EBD-B18C-90FEA066F614.jpeg

3BC8B05D-7ACA-4FD1-834E-0C2BC83C0998.jpeg

3292A3B2-6D16-49F8-9843-443F540E5CB5.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, that's where I am at the moment. I have two hitch carriers, with one tailored for what you're describing. While it's 3+ft up in the air, and works good for overlanding, I've had to take it off on occasion to tackle the fun obstacles. Would like something tighter and higher fitting, with swingout.

View attachment 2665211
I don’t know if it would work for you, but a hitch riser might get the basket high and tight enough to do what you want it to. You’d lose access to your tailgate though.

this one is off the shelf with basic modifications with a drill and angle grinder. If I had the time to learn to weld, I could make one even tighter to the truck and a bit higher.

A good welder could probably fabricate a swing away high and tight version
CB92FE8B-CFC1-48A9-8D86-A92A2021A6B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas @highfructose. I guess the real question now is if you got the boat? 😉

E5BFFDB1-D44D-47F4-9451-B43FCEA73FB3.jpeg

Thanks for the ideas @highfructose. I guess the real question now is if you got the boat? 😉

View attachment 2665784
Unfortunately the dealer had literally two boats in stock-neither of which were what we were looking for.

Most dealers have basically only stuff people aren’t interested in buying (the not very popular ones)-with all the covid stimulus payments, cheap interest rates, and people not being allowed to do group activities, the boat market went nuts. Probably won’t calm down for at least a year.

so no boat yet...not that I could take that little baby out right now anyway though. Too small.

I don’t know if it would work for you, but a hitch riser might get the basket high and tight enough to do what you want it to. You’d lose access to your tailgate though.

this one is off the shelf with basic modifications with a drill and angle grinder. If I had the time to learn to weld, I could make one even tighter to the truck and a bit higher.

A good welder could probably fabricate a swing away high and tight version
View attachment 2665752

Yup, that's the plan. The basket I have above is actually pretty modified and sits just past the tailgate open which is functionality I want to keep.

Next step is to head where @BigMF is looking to go and do some real fabing so that it'll sit tight and high against the tailgate, yet can still swing aside to open. I've got a full set of tools to cut and weld the contraption I'm looking for, so just need to add time. Currently building an off-road trailer for a buddy, so maybe once we're done with that, it'll be swingout time.

Yup, that's the plan. The basket I have above is actually pretty modified and sits just past the tailgate open which is functionality I want to keep.

Next step is to head where @BigMF is looking to go and do some real fabing so that it'll sit tight and high against the tailgate, yet can still swing aside to open. I've got a full set of tools to cut and weld the contraption I'm looking for, so just need to add time. Currently building an off-road trailer for a buddy, so maybe once we're done with that, it'll be swingout time.
If I had fabrication skills, a basket that pivot outwards and down rather than on a swing out arm would be ideal.

that would move the basket up high and tight against the hatch when underway, but pivot down and backwards for lower load height and access to the cargo area of the vehicle.

I know there’s a product available that does something similar to this...but if it was possible to make it much larger, higher and tighter, other than weight, it would be, in my opinion, the ideal solution. I’ll see if I can find the other thread where this type of product is discussed.

edit:
Here’s the product:

Last edited:
I've been slowing walking down this path but haven't committed to a major build yet. I had considered the Thule swing hitch, but from picture references, one of key things missing in my mind is a firm tie down for the swing arm. I could be wrong but it only seemed to have a pin. Versus other designs that use some firmed over center latch to reduce any potential vibration. Which is too bad, because you're right that the the Thule is lower profile to fit under the tailgate. Something that my Thule is not.

TecKis, I'd just came back from a 2-week cross-country trip, which included off-roading, with 200 - 300 hundred pounds on my Thule for 2 weeks, and I can say this was not a concern. The pin is a very tight fit, and when everything is closed up, the system is solid and and doesn't move or rattle at all.

I'm using the Thule swingarm with a 1-Up Cargo Carrier. The system works great, and the 1-Up lifts everything up to help with angles. The main disadvantage of this combo is the load ends up a good distance behind the hitch. With up to 300 pounds on the tray, I did not experience any limitations with the load back that far, even while offroading, but I'm considering getting some custom fabrication to move the load forward by a foot. The tray also flexes a lot under 300 pounds, so I might add a little more support as as well underneath it.

I'm using the Thule swingarm with a 1-Up Cargo Carrier. The system works great, and the 1-Up lifts everything up to help with angles. The main disadvantage of this combo is the load ends up a good distance behind the hitch. With up to 300 pounds on the tray, I did not experience any limitations with the load back that far, even while offroading, but I'm considering getting some custom fabrication to move the load forward by a foot. The tray also flexes a lot under 300 pounds, so I might add a little more support as as well underneath it.
Pics of your setup?

TecKis, I'd just came back from a 2-week cross-country trip, which included off-roading, with 200 - 300 hundred pounds on my Thule for 2 weeks, and I can say this was not a concern. The pin is a very tight fit, and when everything is closed up, the system is solid and and doesn't move or rattle at all.

That's good to know. If it can manage vibration over corrugations, which is my concern, then that may be the swing arm to start a build like this from. Pretty sure I'm going to have to completely hack up my Yakima to make it work the way I want.

That's good to know. If it can manage vibration over corrugations, which is my concern, then that may be the swing arm to start a build like this from. Pretty sure I'm going to have to completely hack up my Yakima to make it work the way I want.

Definitely good against rattles or any substantive movement. In terms of more minor vibrations, I wasn't monitoring for those, as it would take a third party doing a specific test. Basically, you won't notice anything unless, possibly, you're looking hard for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom