Frame Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I took my '99 in to get it inspected last week, and it failed due to multiple things, but the biggest was a hole in the frame, to the extent that the frame might need to be replaced ( I could'nt find the hole). How much would it be to replace a frame from a dealer? Is it worth just buying another truck?

Replacing the frame of a 99 that is rusted bad enough to need it would be, unfortunately, a gigantic waste of money. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a dealer "replacement frame", and if there was, the parts and labor would cost more than buying as replacement truck. If you can't pass state inspection, get someone to weld up some plate metal over the holes and try again, try another inspection location, or start looking for a new truck.

Replacing the frame of a 99 that is rusted bad enough to need it would be, unfortunately, a gigantic waste of money. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a dealer "replacement frame", and if there was, the parts and labor would cost more than buying as replacement truck. If you can't pass state inspection, get someone to weld up some plate metal over the holes and try again, try another inspection location, or start looking for a new truck.
Thanks! I already started looking for a new one. Looking at using the one i currently have, and putting the Engine in my 40

How big is the hole? Is it actually big enough to justify replacing the entire frame?

I think you should have the inspection place show you the exact hole on the frame that “caused your vehicle to fail inspection”. That’s probably the most important piece of info before deciding how you want to proceed.

What were the other reasons it failed inspection?

I was going to suggest getting the inspection done somewhere else, too. Unfortunately, in MA, you are required to go back to the inspection place that failed you.

Note: I don’t know where the OP is from, just expressing that if he/she has the option to go elsewhere for another inspection, they should do that.

Find a good mechanic, get to know them, and only use them for the inspection in the future. It really helps if the person doing the inspection is familiar with your truck. The mechanic I use always cuts me some slack when he can.

Good luck.

How big is the hole? Is it actually big enough to justify replacing the entire frame?

I think you should have the inspection place show you the exact hole on the frame that “caused your vehicle to fail inspection”. That’s probably the most important piece of info before deciding how you want to proceed.

What were the other reasons it failed inspection?

I was going to suggest getting the inspection done somewhere else, too. Unfortunately, in MA, you are required to go back to the inspection place that failed you.

Note: I don’t know where the OP is from, just expressing that if he/she has the option to go elsewhere for another inspection, they should do that.

Find a good mechanic, get to know them, and only use them for the inspection in the future. It really helps if the person doing the inspection is familiar with your truck. The mechanic I use always cuts me some slack when he can.

Good luck.
have not found the hole yet. The truck was a new purchase, and we took it to a shop that did work on our other vehicles. Other stuff like fuel lines, a small fuel leak, and breaks caused it to fail.

Are you sure it's not a hole that's supposed to be there?

have not found the hole yet. The truck was a new purchase, and we took it to a shop that did work on our other vehicles. Other stuff like fuel lines, a small fuel leak, and breaks caused it to fail.

Sounds like it's rusted to hell if those lines are leaking/bad. Or, they're trying to stir up some business by lying. Photos please

I'd be curious to see photos as well.

We've seen a ton of really rusted 100s posted on here, but I don't remember anything so bad that the frame had holes large enough to fail inspection.

If it really is that rotted, then just replacing the frame might be a huge waste of money. If the frame is so bad that it needs replacement, I can only imagine what the rest of the truck's components and body looks like. At that point you just get another truck with less/no rust.

Yeah buddy..show me the pics... Also i am sure this is not the first time this inspection guy has failed a car that has a "hole" in the frame. Ask him how the others got the car fixed. I am sure its a easier and cheaper than "replacing the whole frame" fix.

New Cruiser is cheaper. Jon Harris had his frame replaced after he bent it.
Bent the Frame

I'd be curious to see photos as well.

We've seen a ton of really rusted 100s posted on here, but I don't remember anything so bad that the frame had holes large enough to fail inspection.

If it really is that rotted, then just replacing the frame might be a huge waste of money. If the frame is so bad that it needs replacement, I can only imagine what the rest of the truck's components and body looks like. At that point you just get another truck with less/no rust.
Rest of the truck is in suprisingly good condition. It's only the frame thats rusted bad

Bump. Taking the truck to a local cruiser shop (Cruiser Solutions) to quote the price of replacing the frame.

Did you ever find the hole? Pictures?

No pictures. Didn't find the hole

I am surprised those inspection places don't use one of those paint markers to circle the area on the frame that needs to be patched/repaired. I know every bodyshop in the country uses a marker to circle every broken tab, clip, scratch, crack, and dent to show the insurance adjuster all the damaged areas.

Are you supposed to go back home and search for this hole for three hours now haha! That's crazy.

Illinois, with all it's shortcomings does not have these inspections so at least that's a good thing for us!

Are you getting a second opinion? Seems like a costly endeavor, based solely on their word. Personally, I'd want to see it for myself.

As a data point, Toyota replaced the frame in my 03 Tundra under recall last fall. It took them about 5 full days and the dealer billed Toyota roughly $10,500. That also included some miscellaneous brake lines and such. The frame itself wasn't *that* expensive. Best I remember, it was about $3000. The labor is what kills it.

As a data point, Toyota replaced the frame in my 03 Tundra under recall last fall. It took them about 5 full days and the dealer billed Toyota roughly $10,500. That also included some miscellaneous brake lines and such. The frame itself wasn't *that* expensive. Best I remember, it was about $3000. The labor is what kills it.
Yeah, im getting a quote from a local Toyota Shop that ive done business with before, to see roughly how much if costs

@CBeckFJ Cruiser solutions should be able to weld in a piece of metal to get you to pass inspection. Also, look up "mustie1" fixing rust on tundra frame on youtube. He's somewhere in NH - you should PM him and see if he can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom