Frame mods or enhancements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vulcan

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been reading about frame cracks and have seen multiple threads where others added a support to their rear leaf spring hangar (Recommendations for a reputable shop to do frame repair - East Valley?).

I currently have my 1972 FJ40 down to frame and suspension. Next will be separating the frame, getting it blasted, then taken to a welder to replace front shock mounts with F250 type, fix and cracks, and remove the front bumper and winch supports PO welded on. After welding, I hope to have frame dipped and powdercoated.

This got me thinking - are there other recommended frame mods that I could get done now before I get it dipped?

Here are a few pics of where I stand now:

IMG_20171214_103032.jpg
IMG_20171214_103043.jpg
IMG_20171214_103058.jpg
IMG_20171214_103108.jpg

Are you going to leave the factory steering or convert to power? If so this might be a good time to tackle that before getting the frame coated.

@White Stripe no I don't plan on doing that. Sorry if my post was misleading - I've never welded or done metal work so I'm pretty clueless.

@B y r o n I am indeed switching over to power steering. Definitely going to have the frame setup for the FJ60 gear box before I get it dipped, because there is a access hole on the inside of the frame rail where the steering box will mount (3rd picture). I imagine I would need to have that accesshole boxed in, then drill the new holes where the gear box will mount to the frame. Planning to use the Iron Pig template.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom