Fram Air filter any good ?

EOS

Im in Nevada for a few weeks and Fram air filters for the 100 at the local Las Vegas Walmart are a piddly $9.82 each, substantially cheaper than the dealer wants for an oem filter back in Canada. Im thinking of buying a few and stuffing them in my suitcase. Are these any good ? They certainly look and feel the same as the Lexus brand units.

Thanks

I know fram oil filters are considered to be crap, so I wouldn't trust their air filter either. I would get the OEM Land Cruiser filter from cruiserdan.

I have used Finer-Filter & Uni-Filters for years when I drove Nissan Patrols...

They are an excellent item if you understand how to use them. When purchasing a foam filter, the performance if all governed on the oil in which you use to effectively make the filter work..
The principal is that you add a certain amount of sticky oil substance (Which is made specifically for foam filters) and the application of this substance is crucial.

If you use not enough, the foam filter is useless, if you use too much you effectively block the filter from it's regular breathing, and lastly, if you use the incorrect oil, it can cause the foam to deteriorate and cause particles of foam to enter you engine eventually causing major problems.

If you are not particularly mechanically motivated or enjoy doing stuff like that, that's fine, otherwise I recommend you just stick to OEM equipment....

miked

first of all, Friends Don't Let Friends Use Fram Filters!

i agree with the cautions about the Uni-Filters.
i had one for my '01 tacoma. i over oiled it and not only blocked it up, but fouled the MAF sensor. the dealer replaced it under warrenty but they knew exactly what i had done. (i put the stock paper back in before i drove it on their lot)
i think i said something like: 'what the heck is an oiled foam filter? are those better?' yeah, i played dumb, but they owed me big time on some other work i had them do, only to be find out the damn hack made it worse. the mechanic that worked on it didn't even speak english. that has nothing to do with the work be botched but... i just found it funny talking to him. the only words i could make out were the technicals.

DMX84

K&N and AirHog (Fram) aren’t foam. My trials bike uses an oiled foam filter, but it doesn’t have a MAF or any other electronics either.

medtro

Anybody knows of any test data that shows Fram air filter is crap?

DMX84

I talked to an engineer at Honeywell about the Fram AirHogs, he stated that it will pass some particulate like the K&N. If you want lots of air flow, you will get some particulate.

ff347

oops, hit the button to fast! it's not so much about crap vs. non-crap just very informative and does cover some major brands.

ff347 said:
oops, hit the button to fast!
Hey rookie, if you click the "edit" button at the bottom of your first post, you can edit it and add the info you forgot to put in originally, then you don't have to make a second post :) .
Just an FYI, it's a pretty useful feature for me when I catch all my poor spelling and don't want everyone to think I'm an idiot. :D

EOS said:
Im in Nevada for a few weeks and Fram air filters for the 100 at the local Las Vegas Walmart are a piddly $9.82 each, substantially cheaper than the dealer wants for an oem filter back in Canada. Im thinking of buying a few and stuffing them in my suitcase. Are these any good ? They certainly look and feel the same as the Lexus brand units.

Thanks
That's pricey for a sub-par 3rd party filter. I paid $4.06 each for the OEM 90915-YZD3 filters from Cdan (American Toyota) today. I'd only pay $10 for the legendary -2004 Denso filters.

medtro

Jim_Chow said:
That's pricey for a sub-par 3rd party filter. I paid $4.06 each for the OEM 90915-YZD3 filters from Cdan (American Toyota) today. I'd only pay $10 for the legendary -2004 Denso filters.
I think you have oil and air filters mixed up.

Top Bottom