Fox vs OME shocks ride quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dobinson has their MRAs (RR monotubes) available special order and supposedly their MRRs (adjustable RR) are due out this summer. Should be able to get a longer length than the BP-51s...and much cheaper than the Icon RRs. I personally like my Icon IFPs.

I’m pretty sure it’s the shocks, I had OME springs which I just switched to Dobinson tapered coils front and rear (still rides stiff), replaced every suspension bushing on the truck (tracks better but no improvement on stiffness/rattling bumps) and installed the delta panhard bracket (no improvement on bumps). There isn’t much left besides the shocks!

For what its worth I have Fox shocks and had them coupled to OME coils 851 front, 860 rears. I just jumped to the Dobinson Flexi coils C59-614 V Front and C59-515V Rear. The OME road like a Cadillac in comparison. I personally liked it the OME more and honestly a little disappointed with the Dobinsons as I also have a 1 and 1/2 inch lean from driver side to passenger that I didn't have with the OME. But I know I am in the minority maybe I got a defective coil or something. Anyways, straying off topic. I just think coils contribute hugely to how soft/hard the ride is as mine jumped from one end of the spectrum to the other.

For what its worth I have Fox shocks and had them coupled to OME coils 851 front, 860 rears. I just jumped to the Dobinson Flexi coils C59-614 V Front and C59-515V Rear. The OME road like a Cadillac in comparison. I personally liked it the OME more and honestly a little disappointed with the Dobinsons as I also have a 1 and 1/2 inch lean from driver side to passenger that I didn't have with the OME. But I know I am in the minority maybe I got a defective coil or something. Anyways, straying off topic. I just think coils contribute hugely to how soft/hard the ride is as mine jumped from one end of the spectrum to the other.
You increased the spring rate with the Dobinsons which would explain why the ride is more firm. The medium rate OME coils like you had are very soft, too soft IMO unless they are on a truck with minimal weight added. When I bought my first 80 it had the same OME coils and was far too soft for what I needed and had poor load capacity and sagged a lot with any weight. The ride was pretty cush but the downsides in other areas motivated me to change to the OME J (heavy rate) coils. If I'm not mistaken the Dobinsons are a higher spring rate than the OME J's or OME 863 heavies.

Ride quality and performance are not isolated to one component or another. Finding the right coil with the right shock for the weight of the truck, then factor in swaybars, bushings, tire pressues etc are equally important in ride quality. This is one reason I am in favor of running a complete suspension system of part designed to be used together rather than piecing together a mix of components. In my experience I've always had better results when using matching components.

One more plug for the Stage1 Slinky Icon 2.0's as a shock option for the original poster. Ride quality was much improved for me when switching from the OME Nitrocharger shocks. Control in fast bumps offroad was better as well. You can tell these were setup and valved by someone with a lot of experience with 80 series trucks and a knowledge of their behavior.
Stage1Shock by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Except they'll be way too short for your truck.
yea thats what I figured, I aksed if they would make a set a little longer and thus far. NO

I like the icons, the owner has an 80 so you know the shocks were actually designed, and tested on an 80. I don't think they designed the fox shocks for our 80's. There seems to be a high failure rate for them especially on the front right side.

I have the FOX IFP 2.0 with a 4 inch lift.
I CANT STAND them. They are to stiff. and i feel every little bump in the road.

Uhhh, if you have a lean then you put the springs on wrong, there is a left and a right, switch em.

It's called the gangsta lean. All 80s should have one lol

Ya I’ve pulled them out twice to make sure they are set up right that’s not it
That sucks, my truck is perfectly level although the rear is a little too high unless I put a whole bunch of weight in it. It’s a little over 1” higher in the back, I hope the springs settle some.

Yup taller on drivers side. I pulled them all out and looked it really hard before putting them back in. They are on the correct side and seated correctly. Still have the lean.

CD75901F-2F2B-4F82-90D8-741A41712A37.jpeg

Not the best picture in the world but can see the lean. Taken on 100% flat ground.
82150730-F742-41A5-8C1C-84A72EFCE1A6.jpeg

Anyways, sorry though not trying to high jack

Yup taller on drivers side. I pulled them all out and looked it really hard before putting them back in. They are on the correct side and seated correctly. Still have the lean.

View attachment 1950308

Not the best picture in the world but can see the lean. Taken on 100% flat ground.
View attachment 1950309

Anyways, sorry though not trying to high jack
I am afraid you got something else going on causing your lean. Even my truck with 10 year old ome springs doesn't lean that much.

I am afraid you got something else going on causing your lean. Even my truck with 10 year old ome springs doesn't lean that much.

I didn't have any lean with the OME coils the minute it got swapped with the Dobinson's it had a lean it has to be direct correlation to the coils

Update for those interested: Fox shocks installed on all 4 corners and it is a night and day difference! Huge improvement over the OME shock ride quality, the Fox's are so much smoother, all of the small bumps have disappeared on my road and it feels very controlled overall. I can imagine some sway when fully loaded but a sway bar upgrade can help with that. The ride with my truck empty now is smother than the OME was with 700-800lbs in it, i definitely recommend the Fox shocks. They were a little bit longer too which is good for those of us with 4" lift. Winning :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom