Fox vs OME shocks ride quality (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do fox 2.0 shocks compare to OME’s? From what I understand the fox’s are a little smoother on bumps but what about a heavily loaded truck? I live on a rough dirt road so I want a somewhat smooth ride but I don’t want to be swaying like a boat when loaded... I’m running a 4” lift, front and rear bumpers. Currently on OME shocks and they are rattling my teeth out.

Fox are definitely softer/smoother. My truck does sway like a boat, but I've also got TJM progessives (probably the lightest spring rate on the marktet) and all my rear bushings are trash, so I wouldn't fault the shocks necessarily.

I guess depends on which Fox's you get...and what you have them valved at. I can't speak to performance but the 2.0RR Fox do much better than the old nitrochargers. They take some fiddling to get them matched to your usecase, weight, suspension, etc.

Thanks guys, that’s the input I was looking for. I guess I’ll try the fox’s and if it rocks too much it’s time for an upgraded sway bar.

Thanks guys, that’s the input I was looking for. I guess I’ll try the fox’s and if it rocks too much it’s time for an upgraded sway bar.

The Fox 2.0 IFPs are much smoother than the OMEs. I am running ~5" lift, am fully armored, and the truck comes in at 6060 lbs when completely empty. I am running an extra heavy rate rear coil so that does affect the handling but I didn't really notice much more body sway until I really racked up the miles on them, 65k on my second set. Make sure to put shock boots on them to protect the pistons. This will help to minimize seal failure.

The Fox 2.0 IFPs are much smoother than the OMEs. I am running ~5" lift, am fully armored, and the truck comes in at 6060 lbs when completely empty. I am running an extra heavy rate rear coil so that does affect the handling but I didn't really notice much more body sway until I really racked up the miles on them, 65k on my second set. Make sure to put shock boots on them to protect the pistons. This will help to minimize seal failure.
Cool thanks man, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. ordering them now!

I can say sway has more to do with springs and bushings than shocks. With no front sway, ifp’s, icons then dobinsons that i still have a great ride with manageable sway. My front end bushings are shot, so that would give me another 20% better ride. Delta panhard bracket would help a lot too. My fox’s have been great for 10k miles almost.

I hated my fox shocks, they didn't last half a year. Total crap, all you are buying is a generic shock designed to fit as many applications as possible with a trendy name. Old man emu is tried and true on our 80 series. There is nothing worse than having to waste money on parts that fail prematurely (especially when your 40 miles from the pavement) I didn't bother with rebuilding the fox shocks. I replaced them with ome shocks cause I was on a budget. 3 years later and they are still holding up. When I finally get to redo my suspension I will find a better shock than the omes, but for the price they can't be beat.

IF I were to buy another set of shocks(for what its worth) I would go for the BP-51s Im dying to try them against kings.

I can say sway has more to do with springs and bushings than shocks. With no front sway, ifp’s, icons then dobinsons that i still have a great ride with manageable sway. My front end bushings are shot, so that would give me another 20% better ride. Delta panhard bracket would help a lot too. My fox’s have been great for 10k miles almost.
I’m pretty sure it’s the shocks, I had OME springs which I just switched to Dobinson tapered coils front and rear (still rides stiff), replaced every suspension bushing on the truck (tracks better but no improvement on stiffness/rattling bumps) and installed the delta panhard bracket (no improvement on bumps). There isn’t much left besides the shocks!

I’ve run Fox (2 sets) in the last 90,000 miles. I just changed to the Icon 2.0s as @DylanICON made them specifically for the 80 series. So far I’m liking them. But I can’t give a long term review yet as they only been on the truck for about 15 miles. Price isn’t much more than the Fox.

I ran the 2.0 RR Fox shocks at all 4 corners for a few years and they were great. Lots of desert driving and they always felt positive and was an obvious upgrade from the OME's I had before.

I drive in my friends 80 with OME shocks almost daily to go to lunch and it is surprisingly stiff in comparison. We had installed a 2.5" OME lift around a year ago. The first couple months it felt positive and firm. Now it feels a bit jarring..

I’m pretty sure it’s the shocks, I had OME springs which I just switched to Dobinson tapered coils front and rear (still rides stiff), replaced every suspension bushing on the truck (tracks better but no improvement on stiffness/rattling bumps) and installed the delta panhard bracket (no improvement on bumps). There isn’t much left besides the shocks!
what tire pressure you running?

Follow up question, build thread for the 4runner? 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom