Four corner suck down winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Too much time on my hands, a soft leaf spring suspension on my heavy 60 and an irrational fear of off camber situations have led to this dark path.

Is it a thing that is done to have a method to compress the suspension at each corner independently? This would give you the ability to pull down the front, rear or either side when needed.

...of course there are issues of control and installation complexity... and I guess one would want to have a way to know when the tension had been released and that one hadn't spooled out too much cable - you wouldn't want to have slack rope/cable hanging out...

Just a brain fart...

Yup, airbags...

Get control of your suspension, improve your driving ability and issues with off camber situations is the solution imo.
A front suck down is handy in many situations for big ledges, or big climbs. Rear suck down is a waste of time, money and weight. 4 corner is worse.
Just my O2 and experience

Last edited:
Too much time on my hands, a soft leaf spring suspension on my heavy 60 and an irrational fear of off camber situations have led to this dark path.

Is it a thing that is done to have a method to compress the suspension at each corner independently? This would give you the ability to pull down the front, rear or either side when needed.

...of course there are issues of control and installation complexity... and I guess one would want to have a way to know when the tension had been released and that one hadn't spooled out too much cable - you wouldn't want to have slack rope/cable hanging out...

Just a brain fart...
I don't know how much lift you have, but in my opinion, anything over 3 inches of suspension lift on a fj60 diminishes its off road prowess. They start to get too tipy at 4+ inches. You could lift the suspension 3", do a 2 or 3 inch body lift, and cut the fenders, and that should enable a fairly large tire. A body lift allows for bigger tires but doesn't raise center of gravity like a suspension lift. As far as winches, usually at most people use is a front and rear winch. Rear winch is nice for going down steep stuff, front for going up steep stuff, for a individual corner just tie a strap to that corner and have a couple of buddies hang on to it in a tough spot.

Last edited:
improve your driving ability and issues with off camber situations is the solution imo.

This is the big thing. Every time you have brought up the concept of your rig being tippy you have posted pics of it that are not even close to tippy. Your suspension is fine. have you ever actually been in a rig that rolled? You can go a LOT farther off camber than you might expect..

That being said, If you really want to change things, you will have to go to links and bags. That's the only way you can "easily" keep your vehicle level. At which point, one day, you will have the truck jacked up on one side for a sidehill. You'll come off a rock, the suspension will unload, and the rig will roll simply because you have one side jacked up.

You don't need to tell the suspension what to do. Forced articulation never took off in Rockcrawling comps for a reason.

Last edited:
As I said in my first post: "brain fart"...

No I have never been in a rig that has rolled. And I freely admit that I am a weenie when it comes to off camber...

And I freely admit that I am a weenie when it comes to off camber...

This is the point my man. There is nothing you can do to your truck to get over that feeling.

Long ago I to was always sketched out in my old 60 of nasty side hills. Forcing myself to get over it and drive solved it. I bet this picture is 13 years old in my old 60. Situations like this cured me.
We were out prerunning a rock section at king of the Hammers this year 2016, we got to the the top of an extremely nasty section. I told the guys I was with, if that main line is jammed up in the race I could side hill around to a different line. They looked at me like I was crazy. There is no way to side hill that. Sure as s***, it was jamed up and we took the side hill. My codriver s*** himself but we passed about 4 cars with that stunt, no issues.

Pics circa 2003. I miss that ol thing... kinda

dsc00905.jpg

ih8cottonmouth

Mark, knowing your precise and careful wheeling, I don't think I will ever see you rolling or being stuck in a scary situation, spend your $ on a nice SOA setup and you will be happier.....

I have thought of this before, but for a different reason. To get my too tall truck in under the carport. I could air down to the rims, raise the carport, OR... pull down all four corners. The idea was fun but quickly abandoned.

One winch front and rear can load the suspension to get it in the garage.

Long ago I to was always sketched out in my old 60 of nasty side hills. Forcing myself to get over it and drive solved it. I bet this picture is 13 years old in my old 60. Situations like this cured me.
We were out prerunning a rock section at king of the Hammers this year 2016, we got to the the top of an extremely nasty section. I told the guys I was with, if that main line is jammed up in the race I could side hill around to a different line. They looked at me like I was crazy. There is no way to side hill that. Sure as s***, it was jamed up and we took the side hill. My codriver s*** himself but we passed about 4 cars with that stunt, no issues.

Pics circa 2003. I miss that ol thing... kinda

View attachment 1222178

Was that the section where the buggy got totally perpendicular to the trail and everyone was taking tbat side hill around him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom