Found a Gates heater hose to replace the hose-U pipe-hose at the heat control valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No problem, I can return it, going back to the dealer tomorrow for some other parts.

Wanted to close this out for future reference.

The Gates heater hose #18701 fit very well (on a FZJ80-1FZFE) to replace the OEM set-up of a straight hose-U pipe-straight hose coming off the right side of the heat control valve.

Someone may wonder, why do this "mod". With one hose you can eliminate two hose clamps (main reason) but also it's a cleaner installation and as a bonus you get 0.054% better flow with less eddy currents compared to the original U-pipe that has a slightly smaller ID than a continuous hose.;)

Before I settled on the final length and orientation (the hose could be flipped with the "hump" down) I tried a few different ways to install it and decided on having the recurved side on the top, straight side down. I cut both ends back a bit so it wouldn't stick out as much (see photos).

I checked and the Gates hose sits at the same level as the original lower hose (above the valve cover) and I can still get to the #6 spark plug and spark plug cover bolts/wires.

The cut down Gates hose however has less movement (less floppy) compared to the original set-up of hose-pipe-hose. Not sure if that will interfere with removing the valve cover but worse case scenario this hose could be disconnected if needed. I just recently replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals so it should be awhile before I have to dig back into it.

Didn't get a photo before cuttng the hose down to fit so took one
showing the pieces I cut off of the Gates hose for perspective:

Gates formed heater hose 18701 cut to fit Land Cruiser.png

Next photo shows the final size that fit well. Bottom end connects to the stock lower pipe that feeds both the main and rear heater lines, top recurved end connects to the right side of the heat control valve:

Gates formed heater hose 18701 Land Cruiser.png

Note: this hose modification will only fit if your 80 still has the original pipe which feeds both pipes (1/2" and 5/8") on the left-center of the firewall.

Last edited:
I considered the non-USA market U shaped hose (87245-60420) in your link that has to be ordered from overseas or a vendor like Wits End, but the kit they offer was out of stock, as was Partsouq. Also, the Wits End kit is designed for those who've deleted their rear heater, which I still have.

The one OEM hose in the kit with the U curve (if/when available) could of course be cut down like I did to the Gates hose. I just needed to get this 80 back on the road now and might swap out the Gates hose in the future.

Having said that, the Gates hose appears to be high quality, is made in the USA, and only cost $16 with a military/veteran discount from O'Reillys. So the cut down Gates hose gives people with a rear heater another option if they just want to replace the U-pipe in the water heater circuit.

For those that don't know, the Toyota U-hose (87245-60420) mentioned above is not from a 1FZFE, it's for a diesel model never imported into the US hence no US dealer can order it.

This shows the cut-to-fit Gates 18701 installed, replacing the U pipe
and clamps with Gates Power Grip clamps.

Trivia: I robbed the foam rubber protective collar/ring from the used formed OEM hose I had just replaced from the other side of the heat control valve and stuck it to the new Gates hose for the same purpose, protect the hose from rubbing on the black harness cover/clamp thingy. All heater hoses were replaced and all got the Gates Power Grip clamps at the same time. FWIW.

Heat control valve heater hose modification.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom