Fossil Springs Clean-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
Once again this year the Toyota Trail Team will be here to support our cleanup!:cool: The date is Saturday September 27th. The main event is Saturday, but if you want to camp, there is a nice camping spot to spend the night and we can probably talk the team into a trail run on the way home on Sunday.

Time to hit vendors up for some swag for the raffle. No details yet, but some meals will be provided by the club or team.

This is an everybody invited, welcome event, with good graded forest road access to the site. Centrally located for the northern half of the state, easy access from the valley, Prescott, Sedona, Flag, etc. A couple of maps, first from the east. The road that you turn off of 87 on, IIRC is called Fossil Springs Rd, FS708? It takes you to the camp, there is only one Y, stay on 708, 428 takes you back to Pine, 87.

From the west, get off 17 in Camp Verde, take 260 east to 708.

The camp is about .6 mi west of the bridge, south of the road, IIRC close to the power lines? If you can't find it just hangout close to the bridge and you will see cruisers soon! The blue star on these maps is close to the spot? The whole map can be viewed here;
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/maps/map-graphics/cofso_2000.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
If I can ever get my A** back to AZ I will love to join in...Now to get these clowns to finish building the new terminal at JFK, I'd be able to go home!!! Not to many places to off road the rental car in NYC!

Sent the info to Cat at the FS and waiting for a reply.

Kevin - Put me down for donating some product for the raffle.

It looks like the closure is east of where we camp, but the area that is closed is the prime focus of the cleanup and where most of the debris is collected from. We will wait on an answer from Cat, but it maybe good to start thinking of another trail for a weekend Trail Team event, good subject for tomorrow's meet, hopefully we will have an answer from Cat.

Watching this thread closely as I like helping with any kind of trail cleanup....

How about down south?? Like maybe the Gap or Chiva. Lord knows they both need it.

Got this from Cat yesterday.
"This will not affect you but I thought you might want to know. The area towards Child's is great for camping too.
Cat

Cat Sampson
Assistant Operations Manager
Coconino National Forest
Red Rock Ranger District
TEL: 928 203 7520
csampson@fs.fed.us

----- Forwarded by Catherine Sampson/R3/USDAFS on 08/14/2008 11:26 AM -----

Connie
Birkland/R3/USDAF
S To

08/14/2008 09:30 cc
AM
Subject
Temporary Fossil Creek Closure

Please see attached news release announcing the temporary closure of Fossil Creek while APS completes the de-construction of a portion of the Fossil Creek Dam. Please see closure order map link for further detail.

(See attached file: FossilCreekClosure08_08.doc)

NEWS RELEASE

United States Tonto National Forest
Department of 2324 E. McDowell Rd.
Agriculture Phoenix, Arizona 85006
Southwest Region (602) 225-5200
Your National Forest - Welcome!

For Immediate Release
August 12, 2008
928-474-7901

Tonto and Coconino national forests announce temporary
Fossil Creek area closures

Payson, Ariz. (August 12, 2008) – Due to continuing de-construction efforts on the Childs-Irving Hydroelectric facilities, a temporary closure of Fossil Springs

and Fossil Creek on the Tonto and Coconino national forests will be in effect from Monday, August 18, 2008 through Saturday, February 28, 2009 (unless

terminated sooner).

The closure area boundaries include: Fossil Springs trailhead north to Fossil Springs, west to the Irving Power Plant, and south along the east side of Forest

Road (FR) 708 (Fossil Spring Road). Exemptions to the order will include security personnel and law enforcement in the performance of their duties.

This temporary closure is requested by Arizona Public Service (APS) in connection with the ongoing decommissioning of the power plant and facilities

at Fossil Creek.

The closure order and map of the closure area can be found on the Tonto website at Your National Forest - Welcome!. The Payson Ranger District office can be contacted

by telephone at 602-928-7900 for further information."

Thank you B Man
I have a group of Monteros from NAZ hoping to join in the clean-up. Last year we had one Montero. He helped out a lot. This year we may have as many as three Monteros, all of them working to clean up the area.
Steve has been asking me when the club will be cleaning up Fossil Creek. He was the only non-LC litter cleaner in place last year. With any luck, he may be able to bring three non-LC trucks to help out.

Got this from Cat yesterday.
"This will not affect you but I thought you might want to know. The area towards Child's is great for camping too.
Cat

Cat Sampson
Assistant Operations Manager
Coconino National Forest
Red Rock Ranger District
TEL: 928 203 7520
csampson@fs.fed.us

Anyone free to scout the camping area around Childs? There might be a nice "legal" camping spot.

Anyone free to scout the camping area around Childs? There might be a nice "legal" camping spot.

A lot of nice spots in Childs next to the water. The problem in the past has been nudest :eek: not young college girl frolicking about:clap: but old men fat men(not me:flipoff2:). Not the best place for a family camping. The road from Childs back up to the main road has sucked in the past not the kind road I would want to be going up and down all day.

Maybe check with Cat and see if the Childs environment has change.....the area is very nice.

A lot of nice spots in Childs next to the water. The problem in the past has been nudest :eek: not young college girl frolicking about:clap: but old men fat men(not me:flipoff2:). Not the best place for a family camping. The road from Childs back up to the main road has sucked in the past not the kind road I would want to be going up and down all day.

Maybe check with Cat and see if the Childs environment has change.....the area is very nice.
Howdy! After breaking camp last year, Michelle and I headed down towards Childs in out Astro Van, as I have heard a lot about it over the years, but I've never made it that far. We got as far as the "high" point on the road before it drops back down to the bottom before we turned around. While it is pretty, and looked interesting, the road was very rough, and just beat us to death, so we turned around. It looked like it would be OK if we were in the Piggy with the tires aired down. John

If the FS and closures allow, I like last years' spot. Aside from familiarity, it offers plenty of room and direct access to a nice part of the creek. It has lots of open area as well as shaded camping spots. It may not be a designated camping area, but for a group of our size, determined to clean up, it is ideal.
We won't likely leave a mess behind.
Familiarity has its own rewards. It means that we can all find the spot without fail. We can get together without any problems.
If I can make it out, I will bring the firewood like last year. I still have far more used lumber than I can ever burn at home. I will bring some of it along. There is no reason to forage for wood.
Last year, the Wallace family was with us, driving my former 4x4, a silver-blue short-back Montero. The same truck is likely to be there this year. He has asked a number of times when we are going. Steve really had fun at last years' clean-up. Also, the son has a stock black Montero that should be in condition to make the trip and help out. The daughter has recently bought a green one that is currently in my shop with the cylinder head off. If we can manage to get that one up and reliable in time, it will also be there. We'll do our best. Every hand helps! The Montero contingent is ready and willing to help pick up trash and join the fun!
Let's just hope that nobody wrecks a quad this year. My supply of towels and blankets in my truck is just now recovering to the amount that I had before last year. Let's not do that again!

Update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom