forged pistons and cam upgrade for turbo??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so i went to the local junk yard and found a 1994 fzj80 with a complete engine on it, it had 234,000 on the clock i was looking for a 4bt cumins or a 6bt but did not had any luck since it was a u pull it it only cost me 300 bucks i am planning on restoring this and try to add a turbo that i also bought out of a f350 i would like to know if i can re use the same pistons and only upgrade the rings or go with forged pistons, i am asking this since i look them up and they are pretty expensive, and it is just an experiment that i was trying to do i was lucky to find this engine for cheap so if everything goes well maybe i can swap it for mine lol any advice would be great..

The stock pistons are fine up to a certain point. I am using new OEM pistons and rods. At ~15 PSI and ~400 awhp I am comfortable with my internals. If you are going high HP then you would want to use forged components. If you are just messing around, having fun, just experimenting then there is no need to change anything. If you go high HP then you will also need engine management, fuel pump, injectors, etc.

well that's a good tip i don't want to build a hp monster or anything like that but i was thinking that i will need to upgrade my fuel pump injectors and ignition system, which i got the idea already, i did not knew it might run without any of those upgrades.

Under that 15 psi number it is easy (relatively) and the stock ecu will keep up. Above that and it gets expensive fast. Keep up the posts on how it works out

yeah i think that's the best route for me i am starting easy with 15 psi on it and i'll see how it goes, and yes i have encounter my first problem lol i am looking for a manifold but it is more expensive than the engine itself lol. i am only able to find cxracing manifold and it goes for around 600 bucks, if anyone knows where i can find a better one or cheaper one please let me know.

You can use the existing stock manifolds and create a Y-pipe off them to the turbo. An experienced shop should have no problem making it. Ask around at an exhaust shop or talk to a speed shop if there are any near you.

I am not sure the stock ECU will keep up to 15psi. The earlier trucks tend to run quite lean. I would be very careful as you start boosting it. Get a wideband on it. You will likely need to trick the O2 and find another way to add additional fuel but it isn't end of the world stuff.

You can use the stock rods and pistons, not an issue. I have tried them up to 18-19psi.

As far as turbo manifolds, I personally would avoid CX Racing, but others have tried them and it works. If I didn't want to find a shop to do a J-pipe or something. I would get a 6boost manifold if I was buying one today.

yeah i think that's the best route for me i am starting easy with 15 psi on it and i'll see how it goes, and yes i have encounter my first problem lol i am looking for a manifold but it is more expensive than the engine itself lol. i am only able to find cxracing manifold and it goes for around 600 bucks, if anyone knows where i can find a better one or cheaper one please let me know.

You can use the stock rods and pistons, not an issue. I have tried them up to 18-19psi.

As far as turbo manifolds, I personally would avoid CX Racing, but others have tried them and it works. If I didn't want to find a shop to do a J-pipe or something. I would get a 6boost manifold if I was buying one today.
Hey thanks a lot for the info i will check 6boost and see if i like it, if not i think i know where to take my manifold, and for the ecu well i am going to wait until i've got everything installed on the engine since i won't be able to test it until i swap the engine on my cruiser. I'll post some pics as soon as i can get the turbo on the engine lol

Dang, I've never even heard of 6boost. Their manifold looks pretty swell, I wish I had known about that a year ago :hillbilly:

They didn't make a 1FZ manifold a year ago ;).

The turbo parts for the 1FZ are just starting to come around. A big part of that is due to the 4000+ members on the Turbo 1FZ Facebook page from Australia they are actually pursuading some good companies to make parts.

Dang, I've never even heard of 6boost. Their manifold looks pretty swell, I wish I had known about that a year ago :hillbilly:

hey guys do you think it will be wise to upgrade my fuel system, i am asking this cuz i went to the junk yard again and found a subaru sti and it still have the injectors i borrowed one to try it on my cruiser and it fits well i am thinking of ordering the two that i am missing and to upgrade the fuel pump but i am wondering if it is worth it or just leave everything like it is right now?? what do you guys think i should do??

Without adding engine management the higher performance parts are not as likely to give you much benefit because the ECU is pre-programmed for certain parameters. If you will be adding an engine management system to your build the upgraded fuel system would then be much more useful in achieving greater power. However, the stock pump and stock injectors can probably achieve an increase of between 50-100 hp without engine management and some form of forced induction.

Just listen to @scottryana .

He knows his stuff on these. Read his threads on his builds. There are two significant ones. He also advises a "kit" on how to turbo one "for cheap"......

Not to step on Jamahone's toes here, but what he is saying is true, but only for the 95+ OBDII trucks. The earlier model trucks without OBDII and without the closed loop operation actually can not take as much air increase without running lean.

It sounds like you have some experience with FI vehicles, perhaps some early 90's cars in the past. But for the most part the later model 80 has been shown not to react to boost the same way many older cars do. Namely it tries very hard to stay right on it's fuel map in closed loop.

So you will have a little experimenting to do with the OBDI truck since yours is a '94. You maybe able to swap injectors and since the closed loop operation is much less vague you might be able to get away with it, if you size the MAF in the same ratio. For example if you go from a 305cc injector to a 400cc injector you would need to size the MAF housing up 31% so that the air and fuel are both metered correctly.

Again the PRE 95 trucks are going to react differently than many people are talking about. There are a couple people running earlier trucks with Superchargers but they have gone to a large Methanol injection nozzle to provide fuel.

To make this work well you have some tinkering to do. I would go down one of 2 paths.

1. Add a 7th injector and an O2 modulator like from UDR

2. Attempt to size injectors and MAF housing in a ratio that will give you good AFR's under boost.

I personally would go with #1, because both the 7th injector and the O2 modulator can be data logged and modified.

Good luck!

Also what turbo did you pull?

The F350's came with many engines over the years, the latest being a 6.7L the turbo that came with it is variable vane which could be problematic. The engine before that was the 6.4L it had twin turbos so a single wouldn't be big enough, Then it was the 6.0L also with variable vane, finally the 7.3L which used an 80mm turbo which is quite big and won't really be what you are looking for as far as a nice driving 80 series.

Post up a pic and lets see what you have.

Also you might kind of be working backwards. You are going and pulling parts and then asking if they will work, instead of telling us what you want to do, formulating a plan and then going and finding those parts. ;)

Not to step on Jamahone's toes here, but what he is saying is true, but only for the 95+ OBDII trucks. The earlier model trucks without OBDII and without the closed loop operation actually can not take as much air increase without running lean.

It sounds like you have some experience with FI vehicles, perhaps some early 90's cars in the past. But for the most part the later model 80 has been shown not to react to boost the same way many older cars do. Namely it tries very hard to stay right on it's fuel map in closed loop.

So you will have a little experimenting to do with the OBDI truck since yours is a '94. You maybe able to swap injectors and since the closed loop operation is much less vague you might be able to get away with it, if you size the MAF in the same ratio. For example if you go from a 305cc injector to a 400cc injector you would need to size the MAF housing up 31% so that the air and fuel are both metered correctly.

Again the PRE 95 trucks are going to react differently than many people are talking about. There are a couple people running earlier trucks with Superchargers but they have gone to a large Methanol injection nozzle to provide fuel.

To make this work well you have some tinkering to do. I would go down one of 2 paths.

1. Add a 7th injector and an O2 modulator like from UDR

2. Attempt to size injectors and MAF housing in a ratio that will give you good AFR's under boost.

I personally would go with #1, because both the 7th injector and the O2 modulator can be data logged and modified.

Good luck!
Lol either way of the two seems too complicated i am barely new on turbos so i don't have any clue on how hard it will be to do any of those two options but it seems that i will need to start researching...

The F350's came with many engines over the years, the latest being a 6.7L the turbo that came with it is variable vane which could be problematic. The engine before that was the 6.4L it had twin turbos so a single wouldn't be big enough, Then it was the 6.0L also with variable vane, finally the 7.3L which used an 80mm turbo which is quite big and won't really be what you are looking for as far as a nice driving 80 series.

Also you might kind of be working backwards. You are going and pulling parts and then asking if they will work, instead of telling us what you want to do, formulating a plan and then going and finding those parts. ;)
Lol i know i was getting it because i got everythig super cheap lol but it seems too complicated now the turbo that i got came out of a 05 6.0l here are the pics as well for the injectors. right know i was looking at it and it seems more complicated everytime lol!
turbo 4.jpg
turbo.jpg
turbo 3.jpg
turbo 4.jpg
turbo.jpg
subaru sti.jpg
subaru sti.jpg

also i forgot to mention the engine that i am building came out of a 1996 lc and mine is a 1993 will there be any problem it seems very similar to mine but i am just asking to make sure, since i already replaced the valve cover gasket and the head gasket as well. i know that the transmission is different but did not took a closer look lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom