Foam Filters/3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hallo All

enjoying spring I hope ....

So am looking at a foam air filter for a 3B - i see one available from Down Under but the shipping is almost as much as the filter - O U C H ........

anyone running a foam filter for these 3B's?- and where did you find ....I believe is same size filter as a 2F and 3F petrol moteurs in 60 /62 series

cheers is advance

Last edited:
Whats wrong with the OEM type?

Foam Air Filter

Hallo All :

Sorry - fixed this - late and all........

Yes Foam air filter

I am in a dusty clime - prefer a re-usable - Not K&N - just sourced a new engine for an RTV due to K&N use and a dusty clogged intake manifold

Paper is good - expensive to replace - and why waste ?

cheers:

I prefer OEM type pleated filter

Racer:

Why not change the whole filter assembly out to something better for dust? The new Donaldson filters use a centrifugal air cleaner (fancy words meaning it swirls the air so the dirt particles separate due to their weight) before the air gets to the paper filter.

Seems like it's the best of both worlds:
--Paper filter for filtration
--Centrifugal filter to not be replacing the paper filter every day

You can fit one under the hood, or put it on the fender so you can more easily empty the collected dust, or attach a snorkel (which will get you even cleaner air).

Dan

Hallo Dan :

Cheers ya

I like the way you think - latey have been spending time in High desert unpaved roads - 60km average treks

I will look into this system - not to mention seek a snorkel for my machine

enjoy weeks end

cheers:

I would strongly advise to keep the OEM pleated filter (much more protective than a foam unit), and if you feel the need for additional dust removal, use a centrifugal unit (like a donaldson, or a spinner type snorkel top) BEFORE the stock filter. My haflingers were equipped with centrifuges and paper elements, and the operating manuals (for mine use) said that you can safely run without the centrifuge (slightly shorter life of the paper element) but NEVER substitute ANYTHING for the OEM paper elelment.
Another thing, larger road, and off road truck use a differential pressure guage/monitor on their air filters so that you can monitor the pressure drop across the filter. As the dirt cake builds up on the paper element, you actually get better filtration, the trick is to make sure that the pressure drop doesn't exceed a nominal restrictive back pressure, which will reduce the air mass flow to the engine. I recall most of the donaldson gauges for diesels were marked in the order of 20" of water for max operation.
A well designed filter with sufficient surface area, like the cruiser oem unit, allows an amazing amount of dirt cake before it starts to restrict flow. I run a donaldson monitor and it'll take years of use to even approach 5" of water back pressure (and at that point the filters look very dirty, but are still functioning well within their design parameters, for the engine. After all, these OEM filters are designed for long life in terrible conditions, they're for a landcruiser!!
Biggest thing is to make sure the air filter is sealing properly at the edges (clean, clean and smooth!) and when you remove it to check it, and knock off the outer dust, make sure you carefully clean the filter seals and the filter body, especially downstream, before you re-install it.

Hallo All :

Sorry - fixed this - late and all........

Yes Foam air filter

I am in a dusty clime - prefer a re-usable - Not K&N - just sourced a new engine for an RTV due to K&N use and a dusty clogged intake manifold

Paper is good - expensive to replace - and why waste ?

cheers:

You can blow the OEM paper filter out with compressed air to good effect.

Paper is the way to go... If you are looking for a centrifugal top for a snorkle, lets see if we can get a group buy going as I'd like one too.

Paper is the way to go... If you are looking for a centrifugal top for a snorkle, lets see if we can get a group buy going as I'd like one too.

Call up the local Donaldson supplier. I'm sure they've got them. Unless you are dead set on a Toyota part, in which case group buy is the way....

I know they were on the shelf at the filter shop in Albuquerque, so I'm sure there's something available just about everywhere.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom