Flywheel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the flywheels for the 2f and f motor the same? Please some help me out with this question. Thanks

No they are not.

The flywheel used with a F engine and a 3 spd or early four spd trannies was stepped by 14mm, the clutch was a three finger design. This step that I am talking about, referes to the area where the pressure plate is attached to the flywheel.

The flywheel for the 2F was also stepped, (conversely however, the clutch disc wear area is higher in relation to the outer area that the pressure plate attaches to) but very minimally, (sorry I do not have the spec) But the dowels do need to be removed in order for it to be re-surfaced properly.

You can, and I am using the heavier F flywheel on my 82-2F/420 combo, and have done so for years...

Good luck!

-Steve

Which begs the question, why do you ask? :confused:

Probably writing a 'trivial persuit', Land Cruiser edition....

:rolleyes:

:beer:

hey the 3 fingered clutch design behind the F, does anyone know if is similar/ THE same as the 3 finger design behind the H motor... (NOT 2H)

Ressurection of old thread---

I recently came into posession of what appears to be an F flywheel with the high raised outer edge. If I run it on my project 3FE motor, do I need to use an F clutch, or can I use a 2F clutch which I already have??

It would be the same question running it behind a 2F, so I know at least Poser knows the answer.

Thanks!

If I run it on my project 3FE motor, do I need to use an F clutch, or can I use a 2F clutch which I already have??

By "clutch" do you mean the friction disk? Or the pressure plate? Or both?

You need to use the pressure plate that matches the flywheel. The friction disk doesn't matter. They're the same (size-wise at least).

It's been a little while since I dealt with mine, but IIRC, the 4-speed clutch assembly is about 1/2" shorter overall, so it may require modifications to the throwout fork pivot in order to get a useable range of motion. I think I ended up just going back to the 3-speed clutch setup rather than dealing with the hassle of trying to make a 4-speed flywheel & pressure plate work in my 3-speed bellhousing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom