Fj80 weak points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The most common breakage is the front panhard tower, second the steering box mount.

Fj60 on an fj80 frame

received_1298607140154062.jpeg

5.3, 4l60, 4.7 toybox, splitcase, arbs front and rear, rcv axles up front, nitro rears, 35's, upgraded steering box with 105 sector shaft, landtank rear lca's, 75mm slinky lift. Tons more. Yes it will be wheeled.

You don’t need to strengthen anything for that lol I doubt your building a dedicated trail rig or equivalent
Not sure if serious - whats wrong with a 60 body?

I think tools has it right. There are few areas around the front axe/panhards/suspension arms that can fail but not much. I know a few of us, including myself, have broken the axe housing where the front control arms mount. I was told that the front panhard mount to the frame has failed on some trucks that see hard off road use but i dont think it is common.
You might want to put some plate around the frame side mount of the rear lower control arm if you can make it in a way that will help it slide over rocks without bending it up. But that area is easily accessible and you can do it anytime you want.

whats wrong with a 80 body? you sacrificed 2 rigs to make one FrankenRig

Really dont give a s*** about your comments. Go troll someplace else. BTW, I saved 2 rigs by doing this. Since the FJ80 was junk.

I think tools has it right. There are few areas around the front axe/panhards/suspension arms that can fail but not much. I know a few of us, including myself, have broken the axe housing where the front control arms mount. I was told that the front panhard mount to the frame has failed on some trucks that see hard off road use but i dont think it is common.
You might want to put some plate around the frame side mount of the rear lower control arm if you can make it in a way that will help it slide over rocks without bending it up. But that area is easily accessible and you can do it anytime you want.

Thanks for the response

I have no input, but i think this will be an awesome build! Looking forward to seeing more progress

Are you planning on going to the level of 3-linking the front or rear axle on this? This would be a great time to do this as well.

@nukegoat
@jcardona1
@RFB (I think)
and a couple others have done 3-link things for more articulation and beefing the snot out of everything.

I believe I've seen cracks or breakages on the front link to the front axle.

If your running over sized rubber and doing work on the frame, look at lowering and moving forward the holes/brackets for the front radius arms, or go to a 3 link.

You got a build thread in the 60's section? looks good. what year is the 80 frame/axles from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom