FJ80 w/6.2L Diesel, getting a turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you poor guy , a 6.2 might be the worst engin gm has ever made......i hope you at least won the bet!

No, as others have said the 5.7 wanna-be diesel was MUCH MUCH worse! I had a boss that replaced 3 5.7 "diesel" engines inside of 100,000 miles on his "diesel" Malibu and that was right before I bought my BJ60 20 years ago. Everyone in the office then thought I was a fool. I wonder who's laughing now :)

Any updates?

I talked to Randy and he explained he is working on it. He has the old accessories off and is preping the new accessory brackets, etc.

He has tested and rebuilt the turbo in preparation.

He will get some pics up this weekend hopefully.

Cheers.

Still hard at it but my computer time is limited. I will get some good pipcs up this weeknd for your drooling pleasure.

The GOODIES

Sorry guys been buried trying to get all the trucks out of here. But here is a couple pic's of the parts that will be going in. 6.5 turbo manifold and exhaust manifolds and the turbo. All of which are being converted to a serpentine belt system. Get you some tear down shots here in a few. Didn't have time to resize all of them so this will be a taste.
acces.JPG
turbo.JPG

Sorry guys been trying to get this one tied up. If I post the pics out of order forgive me, I am wrenching and trying to remember to snap as I go. But here are some shots of the teardown from the other day. All of the front access. Are off and the intake is ready to go back on. The exhaust flange is the real PITA. I am also waiting on the arrival of the new gauge set! :eek:
before1.JPG
bracket stuff.JPG
teardown1.JPG

Cool...more pics please!

Ok Dave!

Sorry guys more worried about getting the truck done than getting some of the pictures up. Yes I am a slacker Here are a few of the tear down. I am well pasted this stage but will get all of the pic's up in one big post fest.

The first ones are the Serpentine set up going on. The wiring has been cleaned up. Good thing is I have enough left over wire and wire nuts to finish wiring my garage! :hillbilly: :flipoff2:
harm1.JPG
water1.JPG
elect1.JPG

Cool...the serp belt conversion and your wiring fixes should clean up that engine bay considerably. What are you going to do with the vacuum pump? You going to find a different one or fab up a new adjustable bracket for the existing one?

It has a new pump that sits right below the A/C compressor. So the old jury rigged pump has gone to way side. The engine bay has cleaned up considerably from where it started.

Well a couple of pic's for update. The turbo and manifold are back off because the I don't have room to mount the Speed control unit where it was originally at. The PO had placed it in the current location due to cable length. Well that won't work since a turbo now occupies that space so I will need to find a cable for the throttle and see if I can make this work. I hadn't had it mounted this whole time while I was playing with the turbo and now I realize it is in the way. :bang:
Also here is a pic of the nice new intake. I need buy some new clamps but for now I have been running it as is. Also making a bracket for the fuel filter on the rear of the manifold as the old bolt locations are no longer there.
speedbox.JPG
intake.JPG

CDL

One thing that has been bothering me is the fact that this 80 now has locking hubs and is no longer full time 4WD. The truck is driven with the CDL button on all of the time now. Does this put added stress on the diff lock motor?

One thing that has been bothering me is the fact that this 80 now has locking hubs and is no longer full time 4WD. The truck is driven with the CDL button on all of the time now. Does this put added stress on the diff lock motor?

I'd think that if you've done nothing to the transfer case to allow it to freewheel then it would be driving the front axle all the time with the center diff lock on and only the hub to axle joint is freewheeling.

That is what it is doin'. I dont know that it saves anything in the way of MPG... I do want to get back to a FJ62 style xfer case, so I can have 2WD that really only turns the back drive shaft. Not a high priority though.

Cheers.

Bump...any news?

Sorry been slow

Sorry guys there was a problem with using the GM8 turbo. Since the down pipe turns at a 90 off the back it was right dead over the shock tower, So Diesel depot found a holset turbo that would bolt up to the GM flange. And it exits straight off the back end. Also attached is the adapter plate I had made for the maifold spacing to clear the injectors. Still mocking it in since I have to change up the initial set up but atleast I can work with this. Also need to change up the radiator ports and a couple other PITA items. But it is now nearing an end.
Turbo adapter.jpg
turboadapter2.JPG
turbo.JPG

That is a lot of work, I wonder if the Banks kit would fit better. I had heard there was a problem with the shock tower but there is another member that has a 6.5 turbo in his 80 and I don' t recall him mentioning it being that much of a problem.
Glad I am pleased with mine in stock form!

The banks kit uses the same exhaust manifold, so it needs the same spacer or injectors changed out for 6.5l injectors due to their size.

As for the turbo down pipe, i am not sure...

I think it would have all fit if the engine was 2-3 in. further back. I think the person who did the work did not want to move the transmission, so he started from there, when he should have moved the engine/tranny back 3"ish. We have problems with fan clearance as well which would be resolved if we moved back.

Too late now.

Cheers.

Brian,

That's going to be SWEET! Ask Rachel if she'll let me take it out for a spin once it's back in town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom