FJ80 tailgate storage panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like BackBay Customs has discontinued this item. Are they the only vendor?
fj80 storage panel.JPG

Wagon Gear makes a high quality tailgate lid, though they are hard to come by. He makes a small quantity of lids at a time. I checked his website frequently until I got luck.

Last edited:
There is company named Huracan Fabrication that makes them. I purchased one a while back for sub $300 and free shipping.

Edit: looks like price is now $345

Last edited:
I think the way WagonGear’s opens toward you is weird.

We have a few gray 80 units remaining. These have been around for over a decade in South Africa, we just brought them to the States now.

The difference with the Big Country 4x4 units is gauge of material and twin lids that open away from you. The backing plate and deck plate are both 3/16 thick Aluminum and it has a welded gusset brace in the middle between the lids to ensure it can handle repeated abuse from being stood on. The lids are pairs because their drawer systems have two drawers - so you can open one side while the opposite drawer is open, etc.

I just purchased a Back Bay Customs lid a month or two ago from their latest batch. I am not certain if it is/was the final run, but certainly hope it was not.

It is and excellent product as expected and has become one of my favorite mods!

It does look like the opening for the Back Bay Customs lid is much larger and may be easier to put in and take out items compared to the Huracan Fabrication lid.

Do you have any in Oak?
Big Country 4x4 will make some Oak if we can get a minimum of 10 and we can settle on a paint code in hammer tone finish. Oak shows dirty/appears more scuffed very quickly in this application. All prior custom Oak drawer systems in the past were redone in the black power coat after the customers realized the issue.
Bottom line - can be done.

They all look fantastic. a really great mod but due to other pressing projects (like brakes) they are out of budget right now so I was thinking of building one Can someone tell me the size of the opening you need to cut or the template used? that will help me price out the parts and make the decision,
Thanks
Dave

So I like many others have decided to drop a gen 1 350 small block into my cruiser. One of the questions I’m having a hard time finding is if there are any motor mounts people would recommend or if it’s all just custom made. I have a 91 that had a 3fe so the mounts I believe are a bit different. Also while we are here the trans is a 700r4 and I’m not really sure how people set up the shift cable so if anyone has any sources/experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Commented on your radiator post, you have me thinking why not go with what I have on hand instead of waiting until I find that cherry LS/6L90 pull out. Extra trans gears and FI are my main reasons for the LS. Guess it depends on how long I plan on working overseas this go around. 15 years so far plus 20 USN, you'd think I'd be done by now. Retire in 2 years is the goal. Good luck with the build.

Commented on your radiator post, you have me thinking why not go with what I have on hand instead of waiting until I find that cherry LS/6L90 pull out. Extra trans gears and FI are my main reasons for the LS. Guess it depends on how long I plan on working overseas this go around. 15 years so far plus 20 USN, you'd think I'd be done by now. Retire in 2 years is the goal. Good luck with the build.
Why thank you, I’ll say for me I wasn’t planning on doing an engine swap for at least another year but the ol 3feventually finally conked out. I enjoy old and simple so a 350 and a 4 speed mechanical auto works for me. Since I’ve been daily driving it with the 4 speed auto I figured I’d stick with the same style

Just ordered, $300 shipped is a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom