FJ80 Rear View Mirror Gentex Intall with pics (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I bought the mounting adapter plate from Joey about a year ago, & found an eBay mirror for like $35 not soon after...& then promptly sat on this project for months & months. Finally got around to installing this, & I couldn't be happier. It's a great mod, & although I probably could have done it quicker & easier than I did, definitely worth the effort.

Just a note on the above wiring diagram, I read here: Gentex mirror wiring diagram that you should connect pins 2 & 3 if you're not using the backup feature. I did this & everything seems to be working perfectly. There is no exterior photocell (& unless you're nuts no reason to install one), so I just clipped off wires to pins 4 & 5.

Just did this mod. Thanks to @NLXTACY at Absolute-Wits-End.com for the 80 Series Gentex Mirror Block. It worked like a charm!

One thing to remember is to set the zone on the compass. See the attached pdf for instructions. To set the zone on the Gentex 177 you press and hold the comp button for about 5 seconds. Initially, the mirror will power down, then a "z" will be displayed. At this point you can press to comp button to select the correct zone.

Thanks again to the OP for the detailed instructions. I included another picture of the sunroof's blue/black wire for ignition power. If you disconnect the plug you can pull it out of its crowded location. This allows for an easier tap into the wire.

Sunroof Ignition Power.jpg

Attachments

• CompassCalibrationTroubleshooting.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Anyone found a way you use this with the stock mount? Can anyone make it with a 3D printer with the same size ball that fits in the gentex socket? Question how well does Gentex mirror function on the windshield?

I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger but does it matter where you place the mirror high or low? I’d like to place it high so less wire to show. Do the lights seem close to oem?

The Gentex mirrors have a molding piece that covers the wires. When you purchase one just make sure your kit has the molding. When you say "lights" I am assuming you are referring to the temp/compass...right? If so, yes close enough that I don't notice it. I did mine for the outside temp but have really liked the auto-dim feature. If you do any driving at night this mirror rocks! Also, get a gentex block from @NLXTACY 's shop, Absolute Wit's End. The install comes out very close to OEM.

Ok guys! I have my sweet "generic" mirror arm from nlxtacy, I have a 2014 Subaru Gentex mirror (only has homelink and compass but I got a good deal and figure I can upgrade in the future) and the wiring harness. I'm pretty sure I know what wire (blue/black) to tap into for ignition power. I have no clue about wiring. How do I tap the wire? Can someone show me the "tap" device I need to use? Thanks!

Ok guys! I have my sweet "generic" mirror arm from nlxtacy, I have a 2014 Subaru Gentex mirror (only has homelink and compass but I got a good deal and figure I can upgrade in the future) and the wiring harness. I'm pretty sure I know what wire (blue/black) to tap into for ignition power. I have no clue about wiring. How do I tap the wire? Can someone show me the "tap" device I need to use? Thanks!

This sort of thing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDWC60Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aC.kBbKBVD6KT

Yeah I’ve made some “updates” to the original design :p
Does your adaptor block fit the FJ62 bolt/screw pattern. I might have missed it, but if it does then great news so I can get a new better bigger mirror!

Got my Gentex 177/Generic Arm all installed in today. My only complaint is the vibration I get through the arm to the mirror. I did not notice any vibration through the factory arm to the factory mirror, but the Gentex mirror shows considerable vibration when cruising down the highway. I'm worried it would give me a headache if I was really having to pay attention to the mirror. Maybe I just have a bad mirror? It only cost me $6 at Locos Gringos Pick and Pull.

50E3BCB6-0D56-4D13-AFAE-C6781C7E9313.jpeg

@george.arnold there are a few stacked tolerances there: headliner to block, block to arm, arm to wedge, wedge to mirror mount, mirror mount to physical mirror. If you are seeing shaking it means something is loose. I would check one by one, starting at the headliner, to see what is loose.

@george.arnold there are a few stacked tolerances there: headliner to block, block to arm, arm to wedge, wedge to mirror mount, mirror mount to physical mirror. If you are seeing shaking it means something is loose. I would check one by one, starting at the headliner, to see what is loose.

I got all power hooked up and working this weekend. Figured out that it is indeed the mirror that is vibrating. The mount is solid. I’ll go back to the pick and pull and try to find another mirror with a more solid pivot arm.

So, Im not clear on the Wits’ End arm vs plastic block. Do I need both to install Gentex mirror, or just the arm? Thanks!

You just need the arm to install the mirror. The arm apparently has the built in block to reinstall the factory cover.

The plastic block allows you to re-use the stock rearview mirror mount cap if you used a windshield mounted mirror like I did before the whole arm was available.
Without the block, the original mirror cover has nothing to connect to & cannot be reinstalled.

So if you want a clean finished look with a windshield mounted mirror, get the block unless you have an overhead console that covers up the mount like I do.

Last edited:
You just need the arm to install the mirror.

The plastic block allows you to re-use the stock rearview mirror cap in order to cover the new mirror mount.

Without the block, the original mirror cover has nothing to connect to.

So if you want a clean finished look, get the block along with the mirror mount that is unless you have an overhead console that covers up the mount.
Ahhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom