FJ80 OWNERS WITH SLIDERS HELP? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at George's SLIDER plans. I realized that on the ealry FJ80's the cat is huge fat and in the way to mount a slider. I looked at Slee and he doesn't even list sliders for 91 and 92. Have any DIYer done sliders on these years? If so how? I have been thinking a smaller aftermarket cat might work to make room on the frame for the slider mount. Any insight would be helpful.
THANKS

You should check with Christo. I believe I heard that he has a method for fitment to a 91-2. Ken Hanna may also have jigs for a 91-2.

Cut the cats, put a piece of pipe in. Then you can put the cat further back if you need it. Really the 91/92 exhaust is way too complex. A friend of mine had a whole new exhaust drawn up for his 91 due to sliders and he has more power now. I cut and spliced mine but I've been thinking about a whole new exhaust after seeing his. I'm going straight back for a DS outlet. He runs a single high flow cat. Because it OBD 1 and the O2 sensor is in front of the cat you can do this. I inquired to Hanna and he said he could make them. Last I talked with Slee he was not offering them, but you might check back as things area always changing.

I installed an aftermarket, single cat and turned it flat up against the body. That was more for ground clearance issues than for sliders, though. For sliders, I had the body cut and then welded 2x4 box steel all the way down the body. Works great, but is a lot more work and non-reversible. On the upside, though, a buddy had this same thing done to his and then had it filled, sanded, and painted and his truck looks stock now even with the 2x4 box steel along the edges! It was pricey ($1000 or so if I remember right with all the paint and finish work) but it looks nice and is as strong as you will ever want. Mine was $200 to the welder and $6 worth of spray on bedliner... My standards are a little lower than some... :)

JJJ

If you ask nicely Christo will include the extra support iron to weld in and make the 93-94 sliders he sells fit wonderfully on a 91-92.

Once I get the cash, I plan on asking him nicely as well. :cheers:

Would be happy to test them out for ya Christo.

Would pay for shipping and materials :D

I'm still running the prototype '91 tranny/transfer skid plate Christo sent me to trial fit. It's lasted longer than the 3FE. :)

JJJ

hmmm, send me one of those too! :D :cheers:

Has anyone fitted sliders to their FJ80? I've got a 91 and have been looking for sliders, but nobody seems to be making them.

How hard would it be to adapt a set for 93+ to a 91?, IE complete re-design or one or two brackets?

I'll chime in and hope to help. I was lucky enough to get the last set, or one of the last sets, of the slee step sliders, and this is the way it worked with my cat. Now my cat is more protected than ever because along with being tucked up to the floor of the rig, it is above the slider's support structure so it is almost impossible to even contact the cat. Another thing to mention is that getting one high flow, high performance cat is so much easier than trying to work with the two sideways cats that come on some of our rigs. Again, hope this helps, here goes...ohh this pic was while we were installing the exhaust, I don't dump out like that its just the closest pic I have.

BTW, those step sliders are still the absolutely best mod I've made according to my wife, she loves em, in fact she has actually offered to talk to anyone's wife who would resist sliders just to convince em for ya!!! I'm not joking she loves em! Hope they go back to production.
112-1265_IMG.JPG

Adapting would be a PITA. You'd end up changing the front mounts because the cats are on opposite sides on FJ80 when compared to FZJ80s. For that much effort you'd probably be better finding a local fabricator to build you some.

I was thinking that Slee had made some now for the 91/92s.

I know Ken at Hanna Quality makes them for 91/92s. Or at least he did when I was looking about 2 years ago.

I have sliders on my 91 but I did a complete exhaust change and mine mount straight up. I'm actually using some modified Scout II sliders. They aren't quite long enough but I've never done any body damage due to them being to short and they've saved me a ton of times. The price was right as I got them free.

Hanna has plenty of the 91,92 80 sliders. I saw a stack of cat protectors for the 91-2's there a couple weeks ago

Thanks for the refferals guys however, I do not currently produce fj80 91-92 sliders.

First Toy was looking at 93-97 fzj80 sliders racked up in my shop.

If someone with a 91-92 fj80 is willing to come to my shop in San Luis Obispo, CA I can make the sliders.

Ken

I can attest to Ken's work at Hanna Quality. Good products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom