Fj80/Ford 9" front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
After too many years of dreaming and waiting to build my 40, I finally am starting to build my hybrid front housing. I will be grafting 80 knuckles onto a Ford housing for the gear strength and ratio options. Yes I'll need custom inner shafts.

I'm going for a 59-60" wms. The rear will be a narrowed and shaved 14b. The dually hubs for that are in work.

Pics to follow.

Or it never happened!!!

After too many years of dreaming and waiting to build my 40, I finally am starting to build my hybrid front housing. I will be grafting 80 knuckles onto a Ford housing for the gear strength and ratio options. Yes I'll need custom inner shafts.

I'm going for a 59-60" wms. The rear will be a narrowed and shaved 14b. The dually hubs for that are in work.

Pics to follow.
I am curious what it is you will gain other than a half inch larger radius at the point of gear tooth contact and a lower pinion?

So the first two art of the rough used 9" housing and an 80 knuckle to compare tube sizes. The second two are of a knuckle turning spud I'm making slowly at work from a chunk of SS scrap. I haven't figured out how I'll bore the end of the 9" housing yet. Maybe I'll just make a spacer to weld on with a counterbore in it to simulate the 'yota housing.

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Are you using an alignment bar for centering everything? If so, the tubes could be butt welded w/o having to make spacers.

I'll be doing the same thing in the near future. I finally found a .250 wall (thick for a 9") housing to use.

whos going to make yours inner shafts I was thinking on doing the same thing but here in southamerica no one build the inner shaft

I contacted RCV about the idea and they can make the shafts. They make the Longfields already. They offer custom lengths and can do different splines. The Ford 9" shaft is 31 spline and a few thousands larger dia than the Toyota.

What would be really cool is if they offered a birf with 35 splines and a custom inner. They already build 35 spline D60 shafts and joints.

I have an idea to take 14B dually hubs and spindles and graft them to the 80 spindle flange. That would allow for 1.5" 35 spl outers. I don't know if there are any external lockouts that could be modded to work, but I'd probably just make drive flanges.

that good to know that RCV can fab custom spline for that ... I already had custom homemade Toyota axle 9.5" with the fzj80 ends. but my front axle shaft angle socks! and with a 16 inch coilsovers its Worse went the axle is in a full drop.

keep posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom