Fj80 Clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all
I'm having my fj80 3fe clunk when shifting from park to rivers or drive
It's 1992 land cruiser FJ80
I'm attaching video
Please help

Last edited:
(Without being able to watch the video): Drive shafts are easy to check and a common reason for this. Iirc the input shaft splines on the 3fe rigs can wear also

Hello all
I'm having my fj80 3fe clunk when shifting from park to rivers or drive
It's 1992 land cruiser FJ80
I'm attaching video
Please help

1991 3FE with A440 here. I fixed my loud thud after doing this: Get a grease gun and required grease and grease the front spline and front and rear drive u-joints. There are 3 fittings that you need to grease: 2 at front shaft and 1 rear. If you do it yourself and do not have a rack, then you will probably have to drive the car back and forth to position the fittings so you can get to them from under the truck. There is a good write up on mud (how much grease, type of grease, etc.) if you search grease driveshaft.

Last edited:
1991 3FE with A440 here. I fixed my loud thud after doing this: Get a grease gun and required grease and grease the front spline and front and rear drive u-joints. There are 3 fittings that you need to grease: 2 at front shaft and 1 rear. If you do it yourself and do not have a rack, then you will probably have to drive the car back and forth to position the fittings so you can get to them from under the truck. There is a good write up on mud (how much grease, type of grease, etc.) if you search grease driveshaft.
I appreciate it I will try it

Looks like its just taking up all the backlash in the gears. I didn't see the U-joint jump. Try the same thing looking at the diff.
Sounds like the old girl's got some wicked valve tick going on.
You can rotate the the front or rear drive shaft by yourself by picking one wheel at the respective end and putting the T-case in N, then rotate the lifted tire to swing the zerk fitting into position. Don't forget to chock the wheels.

Here is the video link to YouTube

If it’s the valves and while waiting on the valve job, I quieted my clicking valves on my 1991 3FE by switching to Shell Rotella 15w40 semi synthetic with an OEM Toyota oil filter. Made a huge difference. Of course mentioning oil on mud usually starts another debate but I’m just offering a solution that worked for me.

If it’s the valves and while waiting on the valve job, I quieted my clicking valves on my 1991 3FE by switching to Shell Rotella 15w40 semi synthetic with an OEM Toyota oil filter. Made a huge difference. Of course mentioning oil on mud usually starts another debate but I’m just offering a solution that worked for me.
You can only use Toyota branded motor oil. One guy used 5w-30 mobile 1 and Toyota sent a hit squad to his house and killed his entire family and then his rig caught fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom