fj80 axles/92 toy truck (need swap info) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st post. new to the forum. i just picked up a set of e-locker fj80 axles. i'm planing to swap in 488,s and run 33's using the coil sprung fj80 setup in a 92 toyota ex-cab truck. i know someone out there has done this swap so i'm looking for any info i can get to simplify the swap. i'm building this mainy as a dayly driver roadtrip truck for now so it need to be done as correcly as possible. will be retireing it in a few years as a trail rig. i've already done the 3.4 swap and got a screaming deal on the axles. also who has the best deals on gears and setup kits. thanks in advance.

If you can use the three link system off the 80 series and keep everthing the same, that being said you may have to outboard the coils in the rear as your frame width is narrow.

My guess is this could be a simple install using all the factory brackets or difficult if you choose to build 4 link or something along that line.

Good luck and a big welcome to you from the mud board, you will learn much from these guys.

Cheers.

Rob

See the tech links, believe there is a thread in there from a guy who installed 80's axles in a Nissan or Isuzu something or other.....

IMO, link work is time consuming, but not terribly difficult....and while the 80's suspension design works great on the 80, it is less than ideal for a true wheeler.

Check thru some of the other hardcore threads on link suspensions...you will be long-term happier if you clean the brackets off those axles and start from scratch.

Gumby has an 80's type suspension on his 40 (not axles, but links/coils) and I suspect he's got a thread hiding here somewheres....

4.88 seems way to low for 33" Tires.. i was planning on doing 4:88 with 37's and only because i plan on having a 700r with an overdrive..

(you could always pass on that killer deal on the Axles to me) j/k..

4.88's and a motor that rev's a lot with an overdrive is not that hard to bite. I know mini's that have 5.29's and 36" tires that are happy.

You could checkout my project . I used the entire 80 chassis and you can see how it fit and there is a link to my personal freebe web site with pictures in new projects that can give you and idea at how everything fits in comparison to an 87 Runner body and then apply it to your project. @.5 weeks from start to wheelin my rig part time wrenching and one loooooong weekend. Good luck.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49162

You may want to consider running a mini rear axle, it will give you the centered rear diff, which opens up far more low range t-case options. I ran the FZJ80 front axle and suspension on my 86 4-Runner Turbo, then used a 1 ton mini full floater out back as it will match the 63.5" width of the front. LMK if you need more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom