FJ80, 100 series, or Sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For your trail rig an 80 series would be a good choice. I'd personally go with the 3rd gen 4 runner if the 80 wasn't an option. Cost wise they are about the same these days. There just aren't enough parts and support out there for the 2nd gens. The 1st gens are cool but good examples are hard to come by. Also not the best for getting people in and out of the rear seat.

I don't have any handling or drivability issues with the solid axel in my 80. My wife used to drive it daily and in the snow and she never mentioned any handling quirks. Now if you're running around with the lockers on thats a different story. Again I think it's less about the type of axel/suspension and more about its condition.

1st/2nd gen 4Runner (probably 2nd). The V6 is definitely more questionable, but it is a 3.4 swap candidate. 2nd gen 4Runners are the best priced. Much easier to find in manual.

3rd gen 4Runner. I really do hate the lower ball joint issues and the front suspension is just not nearly as tough as the older IFS setup with torsion bars...
Again, I'd say keep the one you have for sure (3rd gen) unless it's not worth fixing.

1st generation: Only two doors, a much more truck like driving experience than the future generations, underpowered with 22RE, body sheet metal is extremely prone to rust. Yes, they look way cool. Still, probably best to avoid.
2nd generation: I've owned one for 20 years and love it. The front end does seem quite durable. Still, I've needed to replace idler arm, tie rod ends and pitman arm. Yes, it's a V-6. Head gasket was done before I bought it. It's an OK engine, no need to swap out unless it dies.
4th generation: That's the one I'd go for if you're looking for something new. Yes, they're ugly but that problem is solved with a lift and larger than stock tires.
Usually I'm not a fan of lifting, so only recommended if you just can't stand the look.

For your trail rig an 80 series would be a good choice. I'd personally go with the 3rd gen 4 runner if the 80 wasn't an option. Cost wise they are about the same these days. There just aren't enough parts and support out there for the 2nd gens. The 1st gens are cool but good examples are hard to come by. Also not the best for getting people in and out of the rear seat.

I don't have any handling or drivability issues with the solid axel in my 80. My wife used to drive it daily and in the snow and she never mentioned any handling quirks. Now if you're running around with the lockers on thats a different story. Again I think it's less about the type of axel/suspension and more about its condition.

That's good to hear. Definitely intereted in driving an 80 sometime. My 60 did not have a great ride. It wasn't terrible, but I could see it being tiresome.

Hearing praise for torsion bar IFS makes my brain hurt. I had a 91 4Runner, that front end F’n Sucks.

Not as comfortable, or maybe as good of articulation as the 3rd gen 4Runners, but far more durable with no LBJ issues. For me, with lots of gravel roads, I prefer the durability. It's also paired with beefier steering.

Again, I'd say keep the one you have for sure (3rd gen) unless it's not worth fixing.

1st generation: Only two doors, a much more truck like driving experience than the future generations, underpowered with 22RE, body sheet metal is extremely prone to rust. Yes, they look way cool. Still, probably best to avoid.
2nd generation: I've owned one for 20 years and love it. The front end does seem quite durable. Still, I've needed to replace idler arm, tie rod ends and pitman arm. Yes, it's a V-6. Head gasket was done before I bought it. It's an OK engine, no need to swap out unless it dies.
4th generation: That's the one I'd go for if you're looking for something new. Yes, they're ugly but that problem is solved with a lift and larger than stock tires.
Usually I'm not a fan of lifting, so only recommended if you just can't stand the look.

I didn't know the first gens rusted more than second gens. That's interesting.

We got a quote back, and the 3rd gen should be about $4,600 to fix. It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow. I'm not sure if it's worth getting another quote. Only cons for me on the 3rd gen are the LBJs and that it's an automatic. Otherwise, very happy with it. But for the price of repair, could buy a second gen and keep the third gen for parts.

The roof is bent where the windshield seats and I'm not sure if there's a way to skimp on the repair to make it cheaper, maybe keeping more dents and patchy paint work.

Hearing praise for torsion bar IFS makes my brain hurt. I had a 91 4Runner, that front end F’n Sucks.
This thread makes my brain hurt……. A man needs to buy the car that his family needs and forget everything else. I’m past that part of my life but I remember it clearly. My wife drove a 95 Camry and I drove whatever pile of crap 4x4 I could afford. My biggest mistake was selling the 1975 fj40 I bought in 1988 for $3k. It was red and super clean. Ever since then I’ve been chasing the same feeling. My 80 is well built and does many things well. The only thing these vehicles do in outstanding fashion is stay alive long enough to burn several Dinosaurs worth of crude oil.

Why would anyone have one negative word to say about a coil sprung solid front axle? If it has IFS , it was meant for on road duty.

How about the OP buys a Sequoia and swaps in a Dana 60?

Last edited:
OP, I think that you'll be happy with the Sequoia. It seems to suit your family and purposes the best. Have fun enjoying the great outdoors and learn what you want/don't want in your next 4x4.

The roof is bent where the windshield seats and I'm not sure if there's a way to skimp on the repair to make it cheaper, maybe keeping more dents and patchy paint work.

My dad had a 1993 toyota pickup that he rolled, bent the roof and windshield frame. We beat it straight with a sledge hammer and used a ton of 3m windshield adhesive to hold the glass in, no gasket. We drove that truck for another 10 years like that. Looked bad but didn't leak.

If you can weld you could probably cut out a straight frame from a part out and weld it in.

What Gen Sequoia did you get? I sold my 2g Tundra for my Sequoia with baby 3 on the way. I wouldn't recommend an 80 with a growing family. The 40/20/40 bench seat was a no brainer, as well as the extra interior space over the Tundra, and especially the folding third row, there when I need it, tucked away when I don't.

Sequoia is definitely getting 33s and a lift.

294428534_1201751620620653_6464038599273148979_n.jpg

What Gen Sequoia did you get? I sold my 2g Tundra for my Sequoia with baby 3 on the way. I wouldn't recommend an 80 with a growing family. The 40/20/40 bench seat was a no brainer, as well as the extra interior space over the Tundra, and especially the folding third row, there when I need it, tucked away when I don't.

Sequoia is definitely getting 33s and a lift.

Got a first gen, 2007. What's the second gen like? I think a second gen would be out of budget.

Got a first gen, 2007. What's the second gen like? I think a second gen would be out of budget.
Cozy! I got mine for $14k, 220k miles, 4x4, leather, nav, etc., we decided that upgraded creature comforts would be better for longer trips and whatnot, especially the second and third row overhead vents for heating and cooling.

I will say that there is definitely more aftermarket off road support for the 1st Gen, I am having a hard time finding off road goodies for the 2g Sequoia, and not everything that's for the Tundra translates over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom