FJ75 Troopy Electrical Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MES

Threads
Hey there,

Been trying to figure out a few weird electrical issued my Troopy is having ever since it got back from the body shop.

Everything worked before the 6 months of body work... ( They weren't too carful about covering up the steering column so Im thinking a bunch of bodyshop dust got everywhere. If there is anyone local in the Portland, OR area that thinks they can help out, please let me know. Beers on me.

I have checked the fuses, relays, etc.

So here are the issues.

No power to headlights. Parking lights and turn signals work.
New headlight relay installed and new fuses installed. Still no power.

In the meantime i have installed a Painless H4 Wiring harness and using the Parking lights as a switch for the relays.

Im thinking it might be the switch on the steering column. Finally got the repair manuals with the wiring diagrams.
Will be looking into this with a multi-meter ( if i can figure how to use it )

Any input here will be greatly appreciated.

Another issue is the Hazard Lights and Horns.
Again checked the fuses. The flasher seems to work since the turn signals work fine.
But once I push the hazard light button nothing happens.

If the hazard button is pressed down the turn signals do not work. So Im thinking the button is working just not functioning correctly.

I know the horns and hazard are on the same fuse, but it is new and should be working??

And final issue... The dome light.... The door switches work since the "door open" icon lights up on the dash, but no power to the dome light. I checked and grounded the black wire from the dome light and it turned on. So I know there must be some odd grounding issue, or the body shop forgot to make some hidden connections.

Will take any input! These little issues are driving me crazy.

Driving around without a horn and Highbeams in Portland, OR is not easy.

Thanks!!

I had issues with my tail light on the drivers side. Finally pulled the light off and found out that the old wires were brittle and had separated within the harness sheathing.

If the body shop moved wires to do some work, the wires may be broken.

No easy way to locate any breaks. If there is no power and the simple issues like a fuse or relay is not it, grounds or broken wires may be the issue.

hello MES. Please, were you able to solve your dome light problem? I have exactly the opposite problem on my HZJ75 troopy.. dome lights work, but dash open door light does not turn on.

Also, please, should dome lights turn on when rear door is opened?

thanks

My dome lights both need rewiring... no current to either one of them from the harness. But my rear doors do not have the little actuator switch in the sills... so dome lights wouldn't be affected by them.

Do your rear doors have actuators in the sills @Wagchio? If not, then the dome lights wouldn't be affected by them.

And we have a door open light on our dash?!? I gotta go check for this...

My dome lights both need rewiring... no current to either one of them from the harness. But my rear doors do not have the little actuator switch in the sills... so dome lights wouldn't be affected by them.

Do your rear doors have actuators in the sills @Wagchio? If not, then the dome lights wouldn't be affected by them.

And we have a door open light on our dash?!? I gotta go check for this...

Hi Honger

Thanks for your reply.
Yes.. there´s an open door light on the dash (upper part - opposite to high beam), and it would be useful for the rear doors..but I don´t see any switch back there

Hey guys, I dont think the dome-lights turn on when you open the rear doors since there are no door switches. I still havent figured out the domelight issue...
I spliced into a domelight wire and can turn them on if i ground it against a seatbelt bolt. So i know its getting power, just not getting "grounded" when it has to.

Going top put in new door switches and see if I can make it work. If it does, I might add a door switch to the rear doors as well.

Must be. Going to have to chase all the wiring and see if there are any issues. Basically anywhere the Bodyshop touched... which was everywhere..

Yeah, I partially disassembled part of my baja bug and forgot a ground from my bussbar to the actual body. all the lights in the dash would click with the turn signals, weird stuff. then i reconnected the main ground and poof back to normal.

I added several of these braided grounding wires to my truck.
I laid under it and look for existing bolts or threaded holes on frame and body to attach the wires to.
Strap

Reactions: MES
Those dome lights can be tricky with grounds.....Seems like there are 2 hot wires up there....maybe one for power anytime, then the one for when the switches are activated.

We replaced our light assemblies and door switches and it all works like a charm now. The grounds at the door pins were a mess from the painter(one may have been broken...like most everything on the truck). New ones were easy to get and work perfect.

And just today I saw the door open light on the dash board....I couldn't figure out what it was until it lit up. Funny.

@MES Do you have a copy of the chassis manual with the electrical diagrams? Chasing the black and whites is a pain but if memory serves, the grounds for the lights in our simple general market trucks are actually in the kick panels and not the fenders.

Thanks for the reply’s guys!

Looked for ground issues with no luck on the inside. The main ground / bolt in the footwell was fully rusted. The bolt goes through the inner fender wall and is exposed tothe elements. I cleaned it up and mounted it back on with a stainless bolt.

Started chasing lines under the hood and something odd happened.
I had installed a 2AWG wire from the alternator to the battery, along with 2AWG grounds , and starter wire. Think they call it the Big 3 upgrade.
But as I removed the 2awg wire from the alternator, the car had no ignitIon power. Absolutely zero power. It’s pretty odd since it just an add-on wire to help get a better charge. It shoudl still get power.

I do have the chassis manual so when I get some time I will dive deep and figure it out. I found some cut wires ( solid blue and solid white ) wires just sticking out of the wiring harness inside the dash... :rolleyes:

More to come...

ALL Electrical issues have been resolved! Was literally one ground wire to the firewall. Was a thick layer of paint between the bolt and ring terminal. Horns, hazards, dome lights all work. I even feel like the windshield wipers are working better now too.

ALL Electrical issues have been resolved! Was literally one ground wire to the firewall. Was a thick layer of paint between the bolt and ring terminal. Horns, hazards, dome lights all work. I even feel like the windshield wipers are working better now too.

This is a good reminder to just chase all your grounds before fishing around for other causes... these Mideast-spec trucks are nearly as dead-simple as a 40. I've replaced a few grounds... but need to chase the rest. Timely input man, I could use an improvement to my wipers.

Reactions: MES

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom