FJ75 Global Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm so excited to finally make this post!

I am the proud new owner of this 1991 FJ75, which has been loving cared for by the PO, @FJ40|RUNNER

IMG_1678.jpg

My goal is to spend the next year with grease up to my elbows, learning about this truck and building it out, before departing for the Pan-American Highway at some point in 2024.

I've got a long wish list of projects to tackle:
  • Pop-Top
  • Suspension
  • Rear Windows/Gullwings
  • Interior Build
  • Mechanical Overhaul (mostly to learn about working on this truck)
  • A/C needs to be overhauled
I have been reading all the build threads I can find and learning as much as possible about these vehicles. But am recognizing that I have a long ways to go to really feel competent.

My first question for all the experts here is around brakes for these. I've got the stock setup now, with drums on the rear, and responsiveness + stopping distance leave a lot to be desired. Is there a known upgrade here to improve things?

Looking forward to sharing my own learnings and mistakes with this community! Thanks!

Welcome! And congrats! You have begun a journey not for the faint of heart!
Stick to your guns and if you are mechanically inclined, the rewards and satisfaction are significant.

I would look at the disk brake conversion for your unit. I can't speak personally to this as I already have 4 wheel disks, but there are some threads on MUD where others have done this. Good luck, and I hope you have it all ready to go when you want to depart on your sojourn in 2024!

Sounds like a cool plan, good luck, will be following your thread!

I have disc's front and drum's rear and have never considered changing them out for disc's. Indeed they don't stop as responsive as we might have gotten accustomed to from modern setups. However in my experience you learn to adjust to the 'limitations' of your car and take up a more defensive and leisurely driving style in the slow lane. Moreover, once you leave western roads your speeds will drop dramatically anyway.

These cars when fully setup for a long trip weigh well over 3tons and are permited to tow an additional 3,5tons - the standard Toyota brake layout is up to the job. Don't forget that regular modern freight trucks use drums all around, nothing wrong with drum brake technology if properly setup.

My advice would be to keep it simple and keep it standard. Easier with repairs, spares and cash to spend on your real goal - travel!

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool plan, good luck, will be following your thread!

I have disc's front and drum's rear and have never considered changing them out for disc's. Indeed they don't stop as responsive as we might have gotten accustomed to from modern setups. However in my experience you learn to adjust to the 'limitations' of your car and take up a more defensive and leisurely driving style in the slow lane. Moreover, once you leave western roads your speeds will drop dramatically anyway.

These cars when fully setup for an long trip way well over 3tons and are permited to tow an additional 3,5tons - the standard toyota brake layout is up to the job. Don't forget that regular modern freight trucks use drums all around, nothing wrong with drum brake technology if properly setup.

My advice would be to keep it simple and keep in standard. Easier with repairs, spares and cash to spend on you real goal - travel!
Thanks for the sound advice Paul! Perhaps my biggest concern with drums on the rear is my inexperience with servicing them and the anecdotes I've heard about their issues off-road with wet/dirt/mud seriously impacting performance and requiring more servicing.

Luckily I'm in no rush, and will spend some time getting to know these before I do anything drastic. Thanks again!

Thanks for the sound advice Paul! Perhaps my biggest concern with drums on the rear is my inexperience with servicing them and the anecdotes I've heard about their issues off-road with wet/dirt/mud seriously impacting performance and requiring more servicing.

Luckily I'm in no rush, and will spend some time getting to know these before I do anything drastic. Thanks again!

Hello,

Rear drum brake maintenance/service gets complicated when you drive your truck in a dusty/sandy environment. Dust and fine sand build up and complicate clean up.

Wet drums, often after crossing water, increase your braking distance. Once they dry up, the braking distance returns to normal.

All you need is the FSM, brake cleaner and patience. The latter is especially useful to set up the LPSV.

Drum brake cylinders give plenty of warning before requiring replacement.

Have your rear brake drums serviced and do not look back.

Juan

Do some searches for info on FJ80 brake boosters
I went searching ebay for 80 boosters after I saw this post and found this dual diaphragm 70 series booster.
Sounds cheap. Have no idea of quality.
My 73 brakes are woeful . I will get one of these and report the results.

Hello,

Rear drum brake maintenance/service gets complicated when you drive your truck in a dusty/sandy environment. Dust and fine sand build up and complicate clean up.

Wet drums, often after crossing water, increase your braking distance. Once they dry up, the braking distance returns to normal.

All you need is the FSM, brake cleaner and patience. The latter is especially useful to set up the LPSV.

Drum brake cylinders give plenty of warning before requiring replacement.

Have your rear brake drums serviced and do not look back.

Juan
Just wanted to add... if you have disc brakes all around and go through water or deep snow you will still have brake fade. I would save a project like this for when you have nothing better to do and put your hard earned money towards some upgrades that will get you out there and travelling and using it like you want.

Hello,

Get yourself some spare brake drums in the meantime. These are becoming scarce, and it is better to have a set in your parts stash.

Juan

I found the dual diaphragm 80 series booster made a huge difference.

I switched to slightly larger early 4runner front calipers.
I had to trim away a little of each brake’s backing plate to make room but that was done in minutes with an angle grinder’s cutoff wheel. Calipers bolted right up.
Very easy to do and very easy to get brake pads now.

Drum brakes seem strange or scary but that is because you can’t see the mechanisms. Get one drum off, take some pics and just look at things to familiarize yourself. Have someone use the parking brake lever while you watch the brake innards at work.

I am going to take Juan’s advice and buy a set of spare drums. The last pair I bought from a regular NAPA store. They were in stock. Same as 60 series I think.

Hi all, I'm so excited to finally make this post!

I am the proud new owner of this 1991 FJ75, which has been loving cared for by the PO, @FJ40|RUNNER

View attachment 3210194

My goal is to spend the next year with grease up to my elbows, learning about this truck and building it out, before departing for the Pan-American Highway at some point in 2024.

I've got a long wish list of projects to tackle:
  • Pop-Top
  • Suspension
  • Rear Windows/Gullwings
  • Interior Build
  • Mechanical Overhaul (mostly to learn about working on this truck)
  • A/C needs to be overhauled
I have been reading all the build threads I can find and learning as much as possible about these vehicles. But am recognizing that I have a long ways to go to really feel competent.

My first question for all the experts here is around brakes for these. I've got the stock setup now, with drums on the rear, and responsiveness + stopping distance leave a lot to be desired. Is there a known upgrade here to improve things?

Looking forward to sharing my own learnings and mistakes with this community! Thanks!

Congrats on the truck!

My little 3F has served me just fine the last 4 years... if you need any help related to servicing things in the engine bay then drop me a line.

I'd start with the brakes by pulling your wheels off and inspecting things... how thick are your discs and pads? Also check your drums and shoes. I put new disks, pads, and 4Runner calipers in the front and new drums, cylinders, and shoes in the rear; it brakes just fine now.

Well, this is the beginning of a long overdue update. Lots of progress has been happening over the past few months, with projects happening as parts finally start to arrive. I intend to use this specific post as a sort of Table of Contents, containing links to subsequent posts with writeups on the specific projects.

Completed:
  • Dobinsons Suspension Upgrade
  • CruiserOutfitters Rear Bumper
  • Explore Glazing Windows (2x Gullwings/1x vertical slide/1x horizontal slide)
  • Alu-Cab Hercules & 270 awning Install
  • ARB Front Bumper Install
  • Tables (GP Factor drop table, Quickpitch TraxTable)
  • Wheels/Tires

In-Progress:
  • Engine Cooling System full refresh (water pump blew up and significant sludge in entire system, thermostat housing missing thermostat, lots of RTV)
  • Brake System Overhaul (booster, rotors, calipers, lines, drums, shoes, the works)
  • Knuckle Rebuild (Since I'm in deep for the brakes anyways, might as well tackle)
To-Do:
  • HVAC refresh (has factory A/C, and things kinda sometimes work. Will be diving in per @Honger's excellent post on the subject)
  • LRA Aux Fuel Tank (parts ordered, 4-6week lead times were quoted)
  • Scheelmann Seat Install (just ordered the planted brackets for the J70 Series Troopy, couldn't verify fitment for my FJ75 specifically, but hoping they get me close enough to make something work)
  • Interior build (electrical, water, living space)
  • .... a million other little things as well I'm sure

Well, this is the beginning of a long overdue update. Lots of progress has been happening over the past few months, with projects happening as parts finally start to arrive. I intend to use this specific post as a sort of Table of Contents, containing links to subsequent posts with writeups on the specific projects.

Completed:
  • Dobinsons Suspension Upgrade
  • CruiserOutfitters Rear Bumper
  • Explore Glazing Windows (2x Gullwings/1x vertical slide/1x horizontal slide)
  • Alu-Cab Hercules & 270 awning Install
  • ARB Front Bumper Install
  • Tables (GP Factor drop table, Quickpitch TraxTable)
  • Wheels/Tires

In-Progress:
  • Engine Cooling System full refresh (water pump blew up and significant sludge in entire system, thermostat housing missing thermostat, lots of RTV)
  • Brake System Overhaul (booster, rotors, calipers, lines, drums, shoes, the works)
  • Knuckle Rebuild (Since I'm in deep for the brakes anyways, might as well tackle)
To-Do:
  • HVAC refresh (has factory A/C, and things kinda sometimes work. Will be diving in per @Honger's excellent post on the subject)
  • LRA Aux Fuel Tank (parts ordered, 4-6week lead times were quoted)
  • Scheelmann Seat Install (just ordered the planted brackets for the J70 Series Troopy, couldn't verify fitment for my FJ75 specifically, but hoping they get me close enough to make something work)
  • Interior build (electrical, water, living space)
  • .... a million other little things as well I'm sure
We need pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom